Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

What value does Limbo have? What can you buy instead?

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dogma

I'm getting kind of tired of hearing about how Limbo not is worth 1200 MS points just because it's a 3-4 hour long game. For me it's  day one purchase. I want it to be short, intense, really good, satisfying and without filler. BUT that is not the meaning om this thread. My point is to understand how much 1200 points is in your country. In USA it seems to be 15 USD and that translates to about 110 SEK (Swedish kronor). I can't understand how 100 SEK is a lot of money for 3-4 hours of good entertainment. In Sweden we pay 100 SEK to go to the movies. Inception that premiers here on thursday costs us 110 SEK. I can buy mabey five bags of chips for that money. I can eat at Burger King ONE time and have 40 SEK left or buy two pizzas. A bus ride cost 20 SEK and a 500 g of minced meat cost 35-45 SEK. A full price game goes for 600-700 SEK.
    Do you understand what I'm getting at? I want you guys to tell us where you from and what 15 USD is in value for you. What can you buy instead of Limbo that you think is better? Let's see if you can put this games value into perspective.

I have already decided that I will buy Limbo so there is no point in showing you guys what I could/would like to buy instead, BUT as you can se above I have given you an example of what 15 USD/110 SEK equals in value. Now I want to see your examples. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
    @Dogma: I saw Inception tonight and the tickets were $12 USD each. Bus fares are $2 USD. This is in San Francisco, almost everywhere else in the US will be a bit cheaper.
    bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

well, i'm from Canada so 1200 MS points is 15$ CAD. i would buy Metal Slug XX simply because i love Metal Slug to death

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

When we get games like Alien Swarm for free, 15$ seems expensive for some people.  

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Mariek430

Torchlight, or Team Fortress 2

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I could buy a 7-day bus pass to get to school to do a degree that I hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1200 MS is about 110 DKK (Danish Kroner) but new games over here usually retails for about 400 DKK if you know where to buy them?!

The game is not priced at 1200 to recoup development costs and turn a profit, its entirely because Microsoft wants a bigger cut of game sales and is trying to make 1200 the new 800.

I will buy this when it goes on sale since i have regretted every single arcade game I've bought at 1200 MS points 

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dogma
    @Scrumdidlyumptious: Wow... a 7 day pass for 15 USD huh? Where do you live? As I said. I can ride the buss a total of five times for 100 SEK (13,5 USD). But we have of course month passes that goes for mabey 50-55 USD. 

@Marz: Free stuff screws with peoples perception. It's cool, of course but you can't compare them since you don't have to take value or price in account. 

@BergDK: Hey cool, a dane. But 1200 can't be 110 DKR? Your currency is better than ours. A quick look at a exchange site and I can see that you get 85 DKR for 15 USD.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By thebeast

1200 points (around £10 here) seems like a perfectly fair price for 4 hours of entertainment to me. 

To play devil's advocate, however, I could pick up one or two excellent ageing retail games for the same price - just looking at game stores online and I see Mass Effect, Halo 3, Fable 2, Resident Evil 5, Arkham Asylum, and loads more for under £10. But these games had their turn - they've all sold thousands of copies at £40. £10 for a new, independently developed title seems like an equally reasonable way to spend my money.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dogma:
    True... But we pay more than 15$ for 1200 MS points
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael

Braid. Shadow Complex. Metal Slug 3 and Geometry Wars.

But really, my problem with the price has less to do with the length -- Braid only took three or four hours, but I was more than happy to pay 1200 MS points for that -- and more to do with the fact that I don't think the game looks especially good.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CannonGoose

Since I already have 720 leftover points from a free 1500 point card I got with Red Dead, I will only be paying $8.25 Australian for 500 extra points. 

Weee!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust

In Europe, 1200 points is 15$. I would buy Death Spank instead.  

The game might be good, but i'm not into plataformers anymore, and 3-4 hours isn't very good in terms of game length, also 15$ is pushing the envelope, when you have awesome games at much less, be it on Xbox Live or anywhere else.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By bhhawks78

I don't like platformers enough to spend 15$ or even 10 just because the art looks cool.  Most games on downloadable services are 50%+ overpriced and could learn a lesson from steam.  Aka 400k sales at 7$ is much much better than 100k at 15$

I buy basically all my MS points for 30-40% off so it makes overpriced games matter alot less.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jack268

I wipe my ass whit  15 dollers LOLL 

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CandleJakk

1200 points is roughly £12-13, which would buy you 3 or 4 pints of beer in a pub. Or one music album. Or two short paperback books. Or a cheap computer mouse.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By briggs713

For me it's not that the experience isn't worth $15.  It's more a matter of I can wait a year or less for it to become $10 at a time when I might not have a backlog of discounted games to play.  I still have Defense Grid, Symphony of the Night, Splosion Man, The Dishwasher and Puzzle Quest that need to be completed.  Not that I'd mind paying the $15, but I like the feeling of saving a few bucks using the Deals of the Week.  I agree with your reasoning and I hope it is lots of fun.    

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoLines

1200 points in Poland is about 45 PLN, you can go to the cinema three times for that money, 
    and buy yourself a couple of burgers with something to drink.
    You can almost buy a new Just Cause 2 for the PC for that price.
    You can buy 1/4 of a X360 game for that money.

So depends how you look at it.
    It's expensive, but for a X360 game, it's normal.

It's still a LOT of money though..
    Ehh..

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm using the same logic as @Dogma:
    I can buy this 4 hour game for $15, or I can buy a $15 DVD that probably barely lasts more than 2 hours.  I can go to a 2.5 hour movie for $10.  I can eat at a fast food restaurant for $7, for a meal that might last 45 minutes.  For me, this is totally worth it.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dogma
    @Briggs713: I can totally respect that. I'm one of those that don't want to wait and don't feel I have a huge back catalog so I want to play this now and I don't feel like 15 USD is that much. BUT if you can wait for it and think 5 dollars makes all the difference then that's up to you to decide.  
    I'm not bitching about people that wont buy the game because they don't like plattformers or don't think it's good enough, that's obvious in itself why they would buy something else. I just wanted to put stuff in perspective for those that constantly grumble about 15 dollar prices for PSN/XBLA games. I only want these people to realize that it's not that much money for good entertainment. Gamers bitch that companys are evil and greedy but I think that gamers in many cases are worse,  cheap and a annoyingly complaining crowd that can't accept the reality we live in where company wants to makes money. But the same way company want's to make money gamers want to have everything cheap (or free). 

Okey...end of rant. It was of course not pointed at you because you seem level headed.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

Why do people feel the need to tell other people how much their money is worth?  15 bucks might mean sitting at a desk for half an hour for some people, but for others it means crawling on your hands and knees in squirrel and bat shit for an hour in a 120+ degree attic in the middle of summer.  Accept the disparity between the two perspectives and don't lecture people because you think it's not a lot of money for them to spend.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tariqari
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " I'm using the same logic as @Dogma: I can buy this 4 hour game for $15, or I can buy a $15 DVD that probably barely lasts more than 2 hours.  I can go to a 2.5 hour movie for $10.  I can eat at a fast food restaurant for $7, for a meal that might last 45 minutes.  For me, this is totally worth it. "
    It takes you 45 minutes to eat one meal from a fast food restaurant???
    caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By caseylakes

1200 points is £10.20, I am not sure where I read that, there is a high chance it could have been a dream... £10.20 is a little overpriced for arcade games I believe, but it isn't too expensive for me not  to buy the game. As people are talking about buses, I buy travel cards for £2 which can take me on any bus or train in London for the whole day, and early hours of the next day. This of course is a child's ticket, if I was to buy an adult ticket, the same ticket would cost me £7.50. I can also buy a hooker for 30Euro, and that only lasts 2- I mean, 15 minutes. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo

I still think that 'Hours per Dollar' is a terrible metric for trying to measure a game's worth.  Adding an extra 5 hours of padding to something that should only be a 5 hour game doesn't make that game better, it makes worse.  I have never come away from a game thinking "Was that game worth what I paid for it?" - the question is always "Was that game worth my time?"  I think that with an aging gaming population, this is the question that reviews should start to concern themselves with too.  I'm not rich by any means, but I do have a job so the limiting factor on my gaming is always free time rather than money (gaming is dirt cheap compared to most other things you could be doing in your free time). 

I also find it kinda annoying when reviews try to factor price into the equation at all.  Making a game cheaper does not make a game better or worse, because quality is independent of price.  No game reviewer is at all qualified to make a value judgement on my behalf, because they don't have a clue about my financial situation and they don't need to.  Reviewers should concern themselves with making a quality judgement and the individual consumer can figure out the rest for themselves.  By all means mention the price - if it is worth mentioning - but it shouldn't be a consideration at all when judging the quality of a game.  Similarly, game length shouldn't really be a factor - unless it is negatively impacting the game experience in some way (ie. it feels rushed or dragged out).

Do you ever see a book review that says "I'd recommend it more highly if it had been 200 pages longer / $2 cheaper!"?  Of course not, because that's crazy.  Not all gamers / game reviewers look at games as cynically as this of course, but the prevailing attitude towards games still seems to be "How much of my free time can I kill with this game?" rather than "Is this game worth my free time?".  That's unfortunate, but I do think the industry (or at least some part of it) will probably grow out of it as this generation gets older and more employed.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By DrPockets000
    @tariqari: I have to eat slowly.  Doctor's orders :(
    paco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By paco
    @AjayRaz said:

" well, i'm from Canada so 1200 MS points is 15$ CAD "

O.o What magical part of Canada are you living in where 1200 MS points is $15? Here in BC, $15 CAD only gets me 1000 MS points.

Anyhoo, back on topic. I think Penny-Arcade said it best: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/8/
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Gamers and their hour/dollar ratios are the most ridiculous people on the planet.  I'd love to hear a book described like that.

edit: Dag, Jimbo beat me to it and made more sense.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

Mount & Blade Warband is currently only $15 on Steam. I'm like 50+ hours in that game and still have a ways to go before I become King. Arcanum is less than half that on GOG and offers 40+ hours.

When you're on a limited budget you don't throw all your cash at a 4 hour game to last you the two weeks until you can buy another game.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't know if people are being are serious for calling a four hour $15 dollar game "short". Just look at all the $60 games out there that are only twice as long.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Jimbo:  The whole "Deathspank would be better if it were ten dollars" comes to mind
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BunkerBuster

I can get 14 cheeseburgers from a McDonald's or two movie tickets. But that's not why Limbo isn't worth fifteen dollars it's because Shadow Complex is also fifteen and that game is IMO far superior.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Jimbo:  It can be a fine metric for a game that you might not be as into. If I had had to choose between LIMBO and DeathSpank, knowing that I'm not much into puzzle game, but am interested in LIMBO, I would go with DeathSpank as I know I would enjoy the game more, for the same price. And even though I'm not really into puzzle games, I would buy LIMBO, but just not for the same price as a game that I know I'd have more fun with for the same price. At $10, LIMBO seems like a reasonably priced experience for me, but when it comes down to comparing it to another game for the same price, the other game, that I'm more interested in, wins every time.

It's the same thing for a book--if I know (or am relatively certain) I'm going to like the 800 page book for $10, compared to the 400 page book for the same price, that I don't think I will enjoy as much, for the same price, but still want to read at some point, I'm going to go with the longer book.

But of course, this is assuming that you know, like I do, that I'm going to enjoy one game more than the other. But even if I enjoyed them the same amount, the longer game or book seems like a better deal. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust
    @Jimbo said:
    " I still think that 'Hours per Dollar' is a terrible metric for trying to measure a game's worth.  Adding an extra 5 hours of padding to something that should only be a 5 hour game doesn't make that game better, it makes worse.  I have never come away from a game thinking "Was that game worth what I paid for it?" - the question is always "Was that game worth my time?"  I think that with an aging gaming population, this is the question that reviews should start to concern themselves with too.  I'm not rich by any means, but I do have a job so the limiting factor on my gaming is always free time rather than money (gaming is dirt cheap compared to most other things you could be doing in your free time). 

I also find it kinda annoying when reviews try to factor price into the equation at all.  Making a game cheaper does not make a game better or worse, because quality is independent of price.  No game reviewer is at all qualified to make a value judgement on my behalf, because they don't have a clue about my financial situation and they don't need to.  Reviewers should concern themselves with making a quality judgement and the individual consumer can figure out the rest for themselves.  By all means mention the price - if it is worth mentioning - but it shouldn't be a consideration at all when judging the quality of a game.  Similarly, game length shouldn't really be a factor - unless it is negatively impacting the game experience in some way (ie. it feels rushed or dragged out).

Do you ever see a book review that says "I'd recommend it more highly if it had been 200 pages longer / $2 cheaper!"?  Of course not, because that's crazy.  Not all gamers / game reviewers look at games as cynically as this of course, but the prevailing attitude towards games still seems to be "How much of my free time can I kill with this game?" rather than "Is this game worth my free time?".  That's unfortunate, but I do think the industry (or at least some part of it) will probably grow out of it as this generation gets older and more employed. "
    True that it is a bad system to measure a game's worth, but still 3 hours for a 15$ game, while i can buy much longer games cheaper, seems a bit steep. Being that length also contributes to enjoyment, and no matter how many times i'll replay a game, for example Limbo, i don't see me taking more enjoyment in it, than in longer games, albeit older. 

The true measure is enjoyment, but length and replayability contributes greatly to it.  
    orangefrys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By orangefrys

i could get a .... i would save it

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toowalrus

I can buy a whole month of Warcraft for that money... That said,  I'm still going to buy Limbo, and if I don't, it won't be because of the length, it'll be because there's nothing to it other than running through the woods in the dark (which has me sold- for now.)

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By davidwitten22
    @Spoonman671 said:
    " Why do people feel the need to tell other people how much their money is worth?  15 bucks might mean sitting at a desk for half an hour for some people, but for others it means crawling on your hands and knees in squirrel and bat shit for an hour in a 120+ degree attic in the middle of summer.  Accept the disparity between the two perspectives and don't lecture people because you think it's not a lot of money for them to spend. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@BunkerBuster said:
    " I can get 14 cheeseburgers from a McDonald's or two movie tickets. But that's not why Limbo isn't worth fifteen dollars it's because Shadow Complex is also fifteen and that game is IMO far superior. "
    Ridiculous premise.  Say you think Mass Effect 2 is the best game released this year.  Under the same metric, this means that every other game isn't worth 60 dollars.

Also, that another game is good does not make another game worse.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoLines

Length of a game and its price are important factors, whoever says otherwise can't be a good reviewer.
    Now saying a game is WORTH the money, even though it's pricey, that's different.
    And I say this game's worth it.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zityz

Heres the problem. When you look at the other stuff comming out on Summer of Arcade this year. Your looking at multiplayer games, and a castlevania and a tomb raider game. All of these games are going to be 1200MS points so you want to keep everything even. As well you don't want people to think your game isnt as good because of the price. 

Do I think it's worth $15? no, not compared to what other games you can get for $15. Does it bother me I did? No because that money is helping go towards a small indie company that deserves it for thier hard work. Those guys could be anyone, you me some friend you know. So yea its noth worth it in terms of lengh but it's worth supporting small artiest/companies into making a fantastic game.
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Brodehouse:  See, I don't think Limbo is a good "game" and therefore I would not purchase it in the first place. While a game like Shadow Complex is worth buying on the basis that it would be fun to play. Limbo Is a great thing to watch and talk about but its not something for me. With that In mind, fifteen dollars is more than they should ask for. (comparatively)
    Also: it's been stated elsewhere that its only fifteen because the other games in the Summer of Arcade are fifteen and that when purchased together you get fifteen dollars back. This whole system is why all these games are priced the same and therefore, disrupt the entire price tier system.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo
    @TwoLines said:
    " Length of a game and its price are important factors, whoever says otherwise can't be a good reviewer."
    I believe that reviewers should concern themselves exclusively with the quality of a game.  Explain to me how price impacts the quality of a game?  If I buy Mass Effect 2 for $10 less than you buy Mass Effect 2; have I bought a better game than you have?  Of course not, the quality remains identical.  You could rightly say that I have a better value game than you have, but neither of us require a reviewer's opinion to know this.

You may believe that reviewers should pass judgement on the value of a game, and that's fair enough, but I would argue that position is pretty unique to gaming in my experience.  I would also argue that - even with the best will in the world - a reviewer cannot make a better value judgement on my behalf than I can make for myself.  All I need is for them to give me their informed opinion on the quality of the game.
    ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ToadRunner

you could get a game that doesnt blow dick...

if you cant think of any games that dont suck as much as limbo, you are an ignorant racist

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoLines
    @Jimbo: 
    Wiat, I got confused.. we're talkin' about price here.
    Ekhm..

Okay, my point is, you cannot justify a 3 hour game being priced 60 bucks.
    And if a game is only 5 bucks, things can be overlooked.

That's what I think. When a journalist is reviewing something price needs to be considered.
    Cause he's reviewing things for the people, and they care how much money they spend, for what, and what value this thing has.

Also- you say you know best about the value of the game.
    Well, I bet you know best about the things you like too- like gameplay, but you trust the reviewer with that don't you?
     Well.. some people don't (Brad's LP2 review) but you know what I mean.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By apathylad

I'm more annoyed with the fact 1200 point XBLA games are the new 800 point games.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By hockeymask27

Because i just spent 14$ for dead space + burst limit.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jimbo
    @TwoLines said:
    " @Jimbo:  Wiat, I got confused.. we're talkin' about price here. Ekhm..  Okay, my point is, you cannot justify a 3 hour game being priced 60 bucks. And if a game is only 5 bucks, things can be overlooked.  That's what I think. When a journalist is reviewing something price needs to be considered. Cause he's reviewing things for the people, and they care how much money they spend, for what, and what value this thing has.  Also- you say you know best about the value of the game. Well, I bet you know best about the things you like too- like gameplay, but you trust the reviewer with that don't you?  Well.. some people don't (Brad's LP2 review) but you know what I mean. "
    The difference is that gameplay isn't a quantitative factor.  You're right, I do know best about the gameplay as well, but it's impossible for me to judge that at a distance which is why I need the review in the first place.  The price and 'hours' just are what they are - I can weight those factors for myself much better than a reviewer can.  If they do factor thoseinto the review, then the review is actually less useful to me, because their judgement on the quality of the game (which is what I'm actually interested in reading) has been unnecessarily skewed.

To me it's like... it's a bit like a weatherman predicting rain for the weekend and then giving me advice on how I should spend it.  Just tell me if it's going to rain and I'll decide if I wanna get wet or not.

I do agree with your statement that game length can be a factor if it's negatively impacting the game.  I just don't think it should be considered an issue in and of itself.  Example: at 3-4 hours, Portal is a finely crafted game without an ounce of fat on it.  Padding it to 8 hours would almost certainly make it a worse game.  Padding CoD4's campaign out to 10 hours would almost certainly make it a worse campaign, etc.

You may be right that a 3 hour / $60 game cannot be justified, but I just don't think a reviewer needs to concern themselves with that either way.  Again, Portal was about 3 hours and to me that remains a 5-star game regardless of the price they put on it, because quality is independent of price.  Ultimately I guess it comes down to whether people want game reviewers to review the game itself, or to review the purchase of that game - I only want the former.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoLines
    @Jimbo: Yeah, but isn't it the reviiewer's job to tell me is it worth my money or not?
    In the end, that's what it is.

Games are not movies, and they don't all cost the same.
    Look at Banjo n kazooie N&B, it was less pricey, and that was an important factor.
    It was worth mentioning that in the review.

It was worth it, cause you were getting a lot for that price, in terms of gameplay AND length.
    And if a game is short and really pricey, the reviewer should speak up.

This game's alright.. for the price. If it was like.. 60 bucks, than don't buy it!
    But, as long as it is 15, go ahead.

I get it, you don't care about it, all I'm saying is that it's pretty important.
    tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tsolless
    @AjayRaz said:
    " well, i'm from Canada so 1200 MS points is 15$ CAD. i would buy Metal Slug XX simply because i love Metal Slug to death "
    Wrong. Points cost more in Canada. 1200 MS points comes out to about $17.14. In the US $1 gets you 80 points. In Canada you get 70 points for $1. They get 1600 MS points cards for $20.00, we get 1400 points.
    Warskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Warskull

At $15 it is competing with a lot of games it just doesn't measure up to.  You can buy Shadow Complex, Braid, Battlefield 1943, and many other games on XBLA for $15.  The game itself just doesn't deliver $15 worth of value.  It feels like they decided to stick the $15 tag on it because it was being hyped and it was in the arcade line-up.  Personally, I would pay $5 for Limbo, knowing what I now know.  As it stands I probably won't purchase anything from this developer again. 

@Jimbo said: 

@TwoLines said: 
    " Length of a game and its price are important factors, whoever says otherwise can't be a good reviewer."
    I believe that reviewers should concern themselves exclusively with the quality of a game.  Explain to me how price impacts the quality of a game?  If I buy Mass Effect 2 for $10 less than you buy Mass Effect 2; have I bought a better game than you have?  Of course not, the quality remains identical.  You could rightly say that I have a better value game than you have, but neither of us require a reviewer's opinion to know this.  You may believe that reviewers should pass judgement on the value of a game, and that's fair enough, but I would argue that position is pretty unique to gaming in my experience.  I would also argue that - even with the best will in the world - a reviewer cannot make a better value judgement on my behalf than I can make for myself.  All I need is for them to give me their informed opinion on the quality of the game. "
     The goal of a review is to help you decide if you should or shouldn't purchase a product.  Would you pay $100 for Limbo?  If price is not an issue, why not? For $100, you could buy multiple other games.  Have you ever looked at game and though "maybe I'll pick it up used or in the bargain bin?"  Ultimately, game reviews are advising you on the topic of "should you buy this game" and price is a major factor in that decision.  The reviewer is using their judgement in many other places already.  The gameplay, graphics, and sound are just their opinion.  Is the game worth the asking price is another judgement call they have to make.  This is also why score systems for games don't work so great.  The game may be a "must buy" for some people and a "wait until it hits the bargain bin" for others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.