Is Link an elf?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by luffylol (56 posts) -

Do you guys think Link, is an elf or a human, or something else?

#2 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

The games sates that he is an elf if i remember correctly.

#3 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

I think he's human.

#4 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

Hylian

#5 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

He is a hylian, nice having a encyclopaedia about games

#6 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

yeah i just looked that up too as i wasn't sure! Hylian it is then- they all have pointy ears.

#7 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
#8 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

isn't hyrule a place though?  That's like being asked what race you are and replying 'Canadian!'

idk, my vote goes to elf though.  Just look at the way he throws that boomerang, definately at least half-elvish. 

#9 Posted by luffylol (56 posts) -

But Link is based on Tom Cruise though, right?

#10 Edited by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

While many confuse race and ethnicity as one in the same, an ethnic group can be a group of people sharing a common religion or national heritage or even a common cultural tradition. Race is not determined by belief or choice to belong to a group, but rather we are all born into our race. A race is a "local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics." (dictionary.com)

#11 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

I don't think elves per se exist in the LoZ universe.
I mean, the Kokiri look like the Hylians, but in OoT it becomes a pretty integral plot point that he is not, in fact, a Kokiri.
So............

#12 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

He's a Hylian.

#13 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -

Yeah, he didn't debate that.

#14 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -

Hes hylian attributes of elf can be seen but really alot of people think elves were invented by tolkien *roll*

#15 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

but that's not specific enough.  The gorgons are hylian, the fairies are hylian, everything that lives and or exists in or on hyrule is hylian.  I'm really not trying to be obtuse intentionally here, I think that hylian is a unsatisfactory answer because nobody really knows for certain.  Unless it has been stated within the existing Zelda canon explicitly and I have missed it...

#16 Posted by Solid_SnakeXx (1771 posts) -

He is  a Syan ( brother of goku) =X

#17 Posted by breton (1437 posts) -
SolemnOaf said:
"but that's not specific enough.  The gorgons are hylian, the fairies are hylian, everything that lives and or exists in or on hyrule is hylian.  I'm really not trying to be obtuse intentionally here, I think that hylian is a unsatisfactory answer because nobody really knows for certain.  Unless it has been stated within the existing Zelda canon explicitly and I have missed it..."
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Hylian
#18 Posted by lvl10Wizard (326 posts) -

I know he didn't I finished his sentance for him. If you notice he said "So............" I followed up the ellipeses by saying "He is Hylian". Clever eh!

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
SolemnOaf said:
"but that's not specific enough.  The gorgons are hylian, the fairies are hylian, everything that lives and or exists in or on hyrule is hylian.  I'm really not trying to be obtuse intentionally here, I think that hylian is a unsatisfactory answer because nobody really knows for certain.  Unless it has been stated within the existing Zelda canon explicitly and I have missed it..."
Everyone in Hyrule is Hyrulian. Hylian means something entirely different.

breton
said:
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Hylian"
#20 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -

In Ocarina of Time, he's called Hylian and in Twilight Princess he's called human. I don't think any of the games refer to him as an elf.

#21 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

He's Hylian, the great Oracle says so.

caption

#22 Posted by Snail (8613 posts) -

It depends, in some games he looks far more like an elf with pointy ears. But I doubt he is an elf, like a real elf, in any game.

#23 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

He would have been cooler if he was an elf. :P

#24 Edited by RFX (38 posts) -

As the previous users have already said, Link's race depends on the Zelda game. Some games suggest human, while others elf.

#25 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

Hylian for sure, although I always thought it was "Hyrulian" but still... dudes no elf. Just has pointy ears.

#26 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

It's all a matter of semantics anyway, seeing as an elf is a fantasy race with no real definition. They happen to have pointy ears, typically. If you want to call the guy an elf, go ahead.

#27 Posted by RFX (38 posts) -

Hylians are a distinct race of Hyrulians. Hyrulians are any race within Hyrule.

#28 Posted by TimesHero (699 posts) -
Bellum said:
"Hylian"
RFX said:
"Hylians are a distinct race of Hyrulians. Hyrulians are any race within Hyrule."
Newten said:
"Hylian for sure, although I always thought it was "Hyrulian" but still... dudes no elf. Just has pointy ears."
Linkyshinks said:
" He's Hylian, the great Oracle says so.

caption

"

I agree with them.
#29 Posted by Snail (8613 posts) -

Why the fuck do people keep bumping already answered threads, just to give the same answer other people did? That is post whoring, ladies and gentleman! This is like 3 weeks-- Only 3 weeks?!... I thought it was like 7... This is a huge shock for me people!

#30 Posted by joker98 (1 posts) -

link is half humen and elf du

#31 Posted by Dewmocracy (58 posts) -

He's not a Kokiri, that's for sure!

#32 Posted by nindoten (44 posts) -
@Endogene:
thanks for good info.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.