Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lips

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

"Lips" is a Karaoke game similar to the SingStar franchise. "Lips" comes bundled with two motion-sensing, LED-lit microphones for $69.99 US. In addition to the 40 songs that come on the disc, players can plug in their MP3 player and sing along to their own music.

Guitar Hero: Metallica Gets Lips Service, Rock Band 2 To Follow

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Polygonal James Hetfield approves!
    While it didn't quite stack up to the social-networking-experiment-gone-horribly-awesome that is SingStar, Microsoft's Lips was a karaoke game that had some unique things going for it. The idea of letting players use their own music, even if the execution was kind of half-assed, seemed like a charitable gesture in this world of mercenary DLC strategies. For me, though, the best part of Lips--save for the inclusion of Young MC's Bust a Move--was the wireless microphones that came bundled with the game. They had a nice weight to them, the shaft (EDIT: pfft!) lit up with crazy colors while you sang, and did I mention that they were wireless?

The only real drawback of the Lips mics, and it's a significant one, is that they didn't work with any other games. Well, no longer! Microsoft has announced that support for the Lips mics will be coming to several other music games on the Xbox 360, starting with Guitar Hero: Metallica, with Rock Band 2 support coming this summer. It also hinted that additional title support would be coming later this year, though it declined to name any other specific games. So, if you hate wires, but love singing, picking up a copy of Lips is starting to look like a decent idea.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    While it didn't quite stack up to the social-networking-experiment-gone-horribly-awesome that is SingStar, Microsoft's Lips was a karaoke game that had some unique things going for it. The idea of letting players use their own music, even if the execution was kind of half-assed, seemed like a charitable gesture in this world of mercenary DLC strategies. For me, though, the best part of Lips--save for the inclusion of Young MC's Bust a Move--was the wireless microphones that came bundled with the game. They had a nice weight to them, the shaft (EDIT: pfft!) lit up with crazy colors while you sang, and did I mention that they were wireless?

The only real drawback of the Lips mics, and it's a significant one, is that they didn't work with any other games. Well, no longer! Microsoft has announced that support for the Lips mics will be coming to several other music games on the Xbox 360, starting with Guitar Hero: Metallica, with Rock Band 2 support coming this summer. It also hinted that additional title support would be coming later this year, though it declined to name any other specific games. So, if you hate wires, but love singing, picking up a copy of Lips is starting to look like a decent idea.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

That's great, if you own a LIPS mic. I personally don't mind the wires on the microphone though, because then you can swing it around like a jackass.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

Oh yeah I heard about this. If I had Lips this would be cool, but...I don't. I heard it is a good microphone anyway.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

Sweet. Because we all bought Lips, right? :P

nidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By nidx

Bought Lips just for this feature, mics have been collecting dust since December.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nukesniper

I do want a wireless Mic, but I do not want a Lips Mic... I would like one for free though =)

Oncomouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Oncomouse

Now there will be wireless mic support for Rock Band.  There's also a wired mic that has the controller face buttons and d-pad built in.  WHY can't anyone make a WIRELESS MIC that also has the face buttons?  It doesn't seem like it should be that difficutl.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ShadowKiller

I'm not much of a singer myself so I probably won't look into it. This would be pretty awesome for parties though.

t67443

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By t67443

Good news my Rock Band mic has a broken wire so we do need to replace it soon.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Sin4profit

Do the Lips mic have controller buttons on it or do ya still gotta use the controller?
    I just hook up the headset to the controller...BOOM; wireless mic. That way i can plug all the instruments in the 360's USB slots (including the one in the back) without usin that damn HUB.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Media_Master

no

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.