the metaphor behind little inferno

#1 Posted by christopherson329 (217 posts) -

i finished this game thought it was a great game but it became even greater when i realized that its not just a game where you just throw shit in to a fire and watch it burn there is more to this game. the game is just a giant metaphor for video games the toys you throw into the fire is actually the hours we all throw into video games and we burn the hours doing this and what the game is over all trying to tell us is that we should be out in the world doing to to which i said FUCK YOU game i like video games so i will play them if i want to

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3556 posts) -
#3 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

that's, like, your interpretation man.

#4 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

I thought it was more like a metaphor for growing up, but okay.

#5 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

how old are you?

#6 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

Surely it can't be that lazy.

#7 Posted by Ghostiet (5280 posts) -
@UnrealDP said:

I thought it was more like a metaphor for growing up, but okay.

For that too. The OP's interpretation is somewhat valid, since there are many subtle nudges that a lot of time passes throughout the game. There's a lot of neat stuff around it in general - the gameplay itself is a deconstruction of the "Zynga game" - FarmVille, etcetera - which consist mostly of clicking and waiting, so you can click again and unlock ways to click even more.

It's a really neat little project.

#8 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

Yeah I agree with that interpretation. Also a metaphor for consumerism, buy buy buy and burn(because we might as well be burning our money). But yes, we should go outside more i think is the moral of the story. I'm wondering about the weather part. They say we used to be able to see the sun but now it snows forever(something like that). I think it started with all the smoke stacks. So, I'm guessing it's talking about industrialisation and consumerism has destroyed our environment. Buy buy buy which creates lots of polution because more and more things have to be made.

#9 Edited by C0V3RT (1377 posts) -

I thought it was more commentary on consumerism in general, and not necessarily pointing the gun at any specific medium. I got a "look past what you're being force fed and make decisions and determinations on your own" vibe and to strive to be more than content and do things that make you uncomfortable.

#10 Posted by EveretteScott (1489 posts) -

Haven't played it but read some places people were thinking DLC when it came to the 'meaning'.

#11 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -

@EveretteScott said:

Haven't played it but read some places people were thinking DLC when it came to the 'meaning'.

So Little Inferno DLC confirmed?

#12 Posted by mrfluke (5158 posts) -

@christopherson329 said:

i finished this game thought it was a great game but it became even greater when i realized that its not just a game where you just throw shit in to a fire and watch it burn there is more to this game. the game is just a giant metaphor for video games the toys you throw into the fire is actually the hours we all throw into video games and we burn the hours doing this and what the game is over all trying to tell us is that we should be out in the world doing to to which i said FUCK YOU game i like video games so i will play them if i want to

this

#13 Posted by christopherson329 (217 posts) -

@HaltIamReptar: 15

#14 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

yo homies permaculture is the future dont let anyone tell u otherwise

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.