Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Little King's Story

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 24, 2009

Little King's Story is a simulation RPG co-developed by Town Factory and Cing for the Nintendo Wii and published by Marvelous Entertainment. Playing as the young King of a Village, the goal is to expand the kingdom and make its population happy.

Here's what you're missing out on. Yes, you.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

This game requires more love.

D+PAD Magazine

Little King’s Story is a game of stunning breadth, imagination and slickly implemented design, and filled with an envious degree of heart and soul.

Read Full Review >

Cheat Code Central

This lengthy, challenge, and utterly adorable title has great potential to bridge the gap between different audiences on the Wii. It's easily one of the best games on the system so far this year and one you absolutely won't want to miss.

Read Full Review >

Gameplanet

Little King’s Story is a little beauty; fans of Nintendo’s classic ‘cutesy’ titles such as Animal Crossing and Pikmin will truly love it. We may be finished with the reviewing side of things but are still playing Little King’s Story... which is probably the best endorsement we can give any game.

Read Full Review >

Everyeye.it

Little King's Story is, simply, a masterpiece.

Read Full Review >

Vandal Online

This Cing masterpiece has become one of the best strategy games ever to have been released on a console, and one indispensable Wii title.

Read Full Review >

NGamer UK

Funny, exciting, intelligent, weird and rewarding. This is what happens when great minds dare to be different. [May 2009, p.42]

Read Full Review >

Official Nintendo Magazine UK

A beautifully polished adventure with buckets of depth. Game of the year material?

Read Full Review >

Impulsegamer

In conclusion, Little King’s Story is quite an original and innovative game on the Nintendo Wii that can be played by gamers of all ages.

Read Full Review >

IGN AU

Very possibly the Wii's longest adventure - and certainly one of the most varied. So many side-quests, hidden areas, collectables, characters, classes and things to do. A boon for RPG fans, so buy it.

Read Full Review >

Games Master UK

Funny, charming and a real meaty challenge, there's nothing else like it on Wii. [May 2009, p.81]

Gaming Age

A great title for the Wii, and a blast to play. The gameplay mechanics are simple enough that most will be able to pick it up and figure it out, but there's enough difficulty involved, and ground to cover, that it'll keep even the more hardcore player interested for quite a while.

Read Full Review >

The Onion (A.V. Club)

A fantastically detailed, funny, twisted adventure that will help banish any Wii-related buyers’ remorse.

Read Full Review >

Edge Magazine

Every moment feels like it's been lavished with attention; Little King's Story is as rich as it is long, and it's a very lengthy game indeed. [May 2009, p.90]

Read Full Review >

Nintendo Life

With a fantastic script and localisation, greater variety in the tasks involved and dozens of moments that will bring a beaming smile to your face, Little King’s Story outdoes Miyamoto’s garden game on every level. The King is dead – long live the King!

Read Full Review >

Telegraph

An intelligent, charming and utterly addictive video game. But its crowning achievement is its unerring dedication to its own imagination. CiNG throw ideas at it from every angle and nearly every single one sticks. The result is a delightfully crafted adventure, that will pull you into its magnificent fantasy world and refuse to let go.

Read Full Review >

3DJuegos

Cing crowns Wii users as kings in a game which gathers the best of Miyamoto's Pikmin. Both strategic expert gamers and non-strategic expert gamers will enjoy a life simulator based on the experiences of the Harvest Moon's creator. If you are a Wii owner, then you can't miss Little King's Story.

Read Full Review >

Meristation

This is nothing more than a Little King's Story. An incredible game that takes everything that we've seen so far in the strategy genre and pushes it even further to become one of the greatest games on the Wii system. You just never get tired of finding new items, places - of expanding this weird and fantastic kingdom that's settled on a Nintendesque world. Lots of chances for us players to have fun in what's probably the longest adventure for this console.

Read Full Review >

Eurogamer Spain

It's difficult to find a videogame with so well balanced general values, even more so if we bear in mind that it's a game that mixes several genres. Is really funny and impeccable in their astounding and artistic visuals. One of the best Wii games.

Read Full Review >

Multiplayer.it

Little King's Story reaches a perfect balance between friendliness and depth in terms of gameplay: it's certainly one of the best games available on Wii, and even manages to surpass a masterpiece such as Pikmin in some ways.

Read Full Review >

Pelit (Finland)

Little King’s Story is (hopefully) the sleeper hit of this spring. The cute Japanese visuals hide a surprisingly deep, varied and at times rock hard game that is a joy to play. This is an old school game with a capital G and just what the Wii needs. [June 2009]

GamePro

An intriguing blend of real time strategy, life development and role playing action, Little King's Story proves itself as a fun-filled and wholly engaging experience for even the most jaded gamer, all wrapped up in a deceptively cute package.

Read Full Review >

Nintendo Power

A resounding success. [Aug 2009, p.88]

RPGamer

Despite a few issues with the boss fights, Little King's Story is an adorable and surprisingly challenging game that can easily addict a person for its twenty to thirty hour duration.

Read Full Review >

Destructoid

Man, I really wish the game could have been called Gears of Warcraft: Wii Edition. I'd bet dollars to donuts that with that name, it could have sold a trillion copies.

Read Full Review >

Play Magazine

I can’t sing Cing’s praises loud enough. Little King’s Story is the freshest Wii game since de’ Blob and a return to the kind of Japanese development that made me fall in love with games in the first place.

Read Full Review >

IGN

Little King’s Story misses the boat in a few key areas for me personally – the largest of which is the lack of IR pointing in a game specifically based around real-time strategy elements – but at the end of the day there’s no denying that this title has serious staying power, an immense amount of charm, and is downright fun despite its faults.

Read Full Review >

GameSpot

This deep, challenging, and beautiful RTS-RPG hybrid is cleverly disguised as a child-friendly introduction to the strategy genre.

Read Full Review >

SpazioGames

Little King's Story may be considered one of the best games in spring 2009, as well as an example of how to make games that can give you emotions and be fun at the same time. Rising Star offers the gamers a great mixture of strategic, RPG and management elements, creating the perfect recipe for a natty and at times ironic adventure. Recommended for all Wii owners and, most of all, for Pikmin lovers, who will find in this game a similar gameplay.

Read Full Review >

GameTrailers

Little King's Story is an impressive package, with only a few lingering flaws keeping it from true greatness. It's a slow burn that rewards those with the patience to appreciate its elaborate setup.

Read Full Review >

Game Informer

I can't fault a game that offers such a fun, engaging, and lengthy adventure on the Wii. [July 2009, p.87]

Read Full Review >

LEVEL (Czech Republic)

A sweet child face hides an uncompromising blend of RPG and strategy. Simple, but clever game mechanics promise long-term playability. [July 2009]

Teletext GameCentral

The consistently surprising offspring of Harvest Moon and Pikmin will make a royalist out of anyone.

Read Full Review >

Level7.nu

Playing as a young boy with the mission of saving an overly cute world might not be the most unique concept to bless the Wii, but in this case the formula is surprisingly addictive. If you in any way enjoy the gameplay and concept offered in other titles such as Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon this is a game you'll thoroughly enjoy.

Read Full Review >

Thunderbolt

But even when you huff and puff and bemoan its wrongdoings, Little King’s Story bounces along with an insatiable charm and letting it get the best of you then seems pointless, because it has such confidence in what it does right.

Read Full Review >

Gamer.nl

Beautiful graphics, well thought through humour and addictive gameplay that will offer hours and hours of gameplay. That's what you'll get if you buy Little King's Story. It's a mystery why you can't point your Wiimote and give a character a simple order, but in the end the game will even put a smile on the face of the biggest sourpuss.

Read Full Review >

games(TM)

With both its addictive, rewarding gameplay and the wealth of imagination that's been poured into the presentation, it's incredibly difficult to stop playing Little King's Story. [May 2009, p.112]

Eurogamer

Little King's Story is not the best game you'll ever play. It's repetitive, it's lacking in depth and it can feel slow and frustrating at times. Plus it's got some dodgy politics and a rubbish save system. But it's the best game I've played all year, and that includes Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad. It's charming, engrossing and just plain fun.

Read Full Review >

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Axersia

I must say, as someone who has not been following coverage on this game at all, I did not expect to see ratings that high.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

No, not me. I already have that game and am 5 hours in.

Everyone who doesn't buy it is a fool. Everyone who doesn't know about it (and it's kind) and still complains about the console is a moron.

Now please do a similar thread for Dawn of Discovery, or bump the existing one. ; )

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Meowayne

The game has been pushed back to the end of July for it's US release, though. : /

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Metacritic scores don't keep me from thinking that the game looks pretty dumb...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have the game and love it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Yeah, I dislike how the game looks.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Willy105
    TooWalrus said:
    Metacritic scores don't keep me from thinking that the game looks pretty dumb...
    Weird. It's actually very complex and smart.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VWGTI

This game just doesn't look appealing to me in any way. It's a strategy title, right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    Willy105 said:
    TooWalrus said: Metacritic scores don't keep me from thinking that the game looks pretty dumb... Weird. It's actually very complex ... [more]
    By "dumb," I meant "lame."
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Willy105
    TooWalrus said:
    Willy105 said: TooWalrus said: Metacritic scores don't keep me from thinking that the game looks pretty dumb... Weird. It's actually ... [more]
    Oh.

Well, that's just opinion.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Shadow

So it's like a Disney version of Napoleon's life?

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Not even remotely interested.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#14  Edited By strangeling

I don't plan on missing out on this one, but I have to wait until July for it.

But that only makes it even more of a destined must-buy for me.
    My name, Ryan, means "Little King," and my birthday is in July.  If they push it back specifically to the 26th, expect either the coming of uptopia or armageddon when I actually purchase it.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene

I'm only early in so i can't give it the praise that it deserves for the moment but the game is slowly showing more and more of itself, so far i have been having a great time playing it and i expect even more greatness to come with new unit types, buildings and command techniques (i just unlocked a command that makes all your followers circle around you for defence).

(i just got a wife... highfive!)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne
    SenatorSpacer said:
    Not even remotely interested.
    It compromises your manliness, right?
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's only out in Europe?  Lame.  I for one believe that I will still have my penis if I play this game, so I'm not afraid to pick it up.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool

It is a game with dark humour and deep game play that makes it a hardcore game, not really different from games bu Atlus and Nippon Ichi.  Some of the stupid comments are just what we come to expect when the word Wii is mentioned.

The game is strategy, in a kind of Pikmin way.

Perhaps it needs to be remade with grunts, aliens, guns and lots of blood, so the "mature gamer" would like it.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19  Edited By the8bitNacho
    oldschool said:
    It is a game with dark humour and deep game play that makes it a hardcore game, not really different ... [more]
    I love you.
    tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tekmojo

Might as well start wearing tight jeans and watching queer eye for the straight guy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    Kombat said:
    oldschool said: It is a game with dark humour and deep game play that makes it a hardcore game, not ... [more]
    Send me naked photographs and I will think about reciprocation  :-)
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godwind

As stupid as the game looks, it is probably the face value that carries that unappealing value for me.  Although I am sure it is an interesting game, it really looks like an off set appeal.  Although I have interest in this game anyways.  Luckily I am an American, so I can continue to be vain until it comes out.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene
    oldschool said:
    It is a game with dark humour and deep game play that makes it a hardcore game, not really different ... [more]
    Its quite deeper compared to the gameplay of Pikmin since there are about 10 different unit types. The 3rd boss in the game for example you have to use your archers to prevent minions of the boss the bring him ammo (vases and boulders) so that your melee guys can slice him to pieces. Or you good bring a whole army of mellee guys and throw them all on the boss to kill him in 2 seconds ^^.  There are also formation types but i've only just unlocked the first two (evasion and protect) so i can't say how the game makes you use them.
    The game has a really nice progression system and really eases you in the new concepts and tactics.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zagzagovich

The game is great. I'm about  hours in and it's been just great all the way. It's deep, easy to understand, very addicting, long, stays fresh and just all around a great game. You just need to open your mind for a moment. Forget that the game has word "little" in the title. It's worth it.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25  Edited By SenatorSpacer
    Meowayne said:
    SenatorSpacer said: Not even remotely interested. It compromises your manliness, right? [more]
    Yep man that's totally it, I mean playing Zack and Wiki and Klonoa is TOTALLY manly amirite?
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Disgaeamad

Sorry, there's not enough overly-muscular men lugging around guns in this. If I played it, I'd practically be gay. RITE?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

I want to play it and buy it... I really do. Here comes the but, but for money. I don't rent, so I'm screwed.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus
    Willy105 said:
    TooWalrus said: Willy105 said: TooWalrus said: Metacritic scores don't keep me from thinking that the game looks pretty dumb... Weird. ... [more]
    Absolutely it's an opinion. I'm not going to trash it for being a kids game. I'd be a hypocrite, because I played a huge amount of Viva Pinata, and still kinda like the Pokemon games. I just don't like the story- at all. I hate that kind of graphical style, and those awful sound effects. I do not want to take my happy and lucky men on an adventure.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By AgentJ
    Endogene said:
    oldschool said: It is a game with dark humour and deep game play that makes it a hardcore game, not ... [more]
    This paragraph completely sold me on this game. Endogene single handedly made me want this game soooo much
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

I tried to show a glimpse of the dark humour in that other thread nobody looked... Might as well post the image here. From its website:

You can recruit whether they want to or not, you visit their funerals if they die, you're on a quest to "unite" the world under your rule...

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By wrecks

I smell Endurance Run.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    Disgaeamad said:
    Sorry, there's not enough overly-muscular men lugging around guns in this. If I played it, I'd practically be gay. RITE? [more]
    But wouldn't a game with overly muscular men that you really like make you gay, in a closet kind of way?   :-)

It's fine not to like a game.  It isn't fine to be inconsistent.  Wii bashers attack the Wii for beigh lightweight.  When a truly deep game comes along, they just find new reasons to bash it.  It is any excuse.  But hey, they are the losers, right?
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Willy105

Maybe there's so much some people can have of happiness. Especially if they aren't used to it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Al3xand3r

Added a nice new gameplay introduction video @ the first post (from GameTrailers).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

I bought this earlier today and just now put it in my Wii. I knew it's a good game but I'm pleasantly surprised by how it looks, the various screenshots and videos don't do the game justice at all, it looks so charming and sweet, on par with 1st party titles imo :-)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " I bought this earlier today and just now put it in my Wii. I knew it's a good game but I'm pleasantly surprised by how it looks, the various screenshots and videos don't do the game justice at all, it looks so charming and sweet, on par with 1st party titles imo :-) "
    It is an awesome game.  Very niche though.  Have fun killing and a conquering  ^-^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.