Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Little King's Story

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 24, 2009

Little King's Story is a simulation RPG co-developed by Town Factory and Cing for the Nintendo Wii and published by Marvelous Entertainment. Playing as the young King of a Village, the goal is to expand the kingdom and make its population happy.

Huh . . . maybe we should be hyping this one a little more.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

So, there's a lot of Wii owners out there hyping games for the Wii. Ya got people excited for No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle, Punch-Out!!, The Conduit (yo), and Claude over there fritzing over playing Tiger Woods 10. Meanwhile, Little King's story is kinda kicking ass in reviews as of now. A Metacritic score of 88 as of now aint half bad, and many of the high scores are from respected reviewers. A 9 from Edge? That's impressive.

I think that RPG fans officially need to put this one on their radar. Who's with me?
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gmanall

Not big on a waggle RPG

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

It's getting about as much hype as I expect for a little-known RPG like this one.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I just don't have time anymore for an rpg which looks this cutesy. Unless it went other way around with it Conkers bad fur day style and it was funny and a good game. I generally like my rpgs to be more serious in story with some jokes here and there, Final Fantasy 8, Super Mario RPGesque. I just generally don't like the light hearted story rpg. But if the story is pretty good maybe I will play it.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm with you but Linky made basically the same topic a few days ago, asking for "any buyers" so why not respond there saying you are one? >_>

It's not really a conventional RPG bear, don't think of it like Final Fantasy or something. Read some reviews, maybe, it's been getting surprisingly high scores.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Gmanall said:
    "Not big on a waggle RPG"
    There's no motion at all in the game.

BUT NICE TRY!
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Red
    Game looks pretty awesome. If I still had my Wii, I'd definitely get it.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Black_Rose

This has been in my radar for quite a while, and it has somewhat of a cult following already, I can see it selling well enough for a sequel.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kinarion

Before FFCC: My Life as a King I would not have given this a second look.  But truth be told, I played the hell out of that little title.  I really hope this one avoids the same issues of borderline uncorrectable town organization and end-game slowdown. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

I'm just waiting for June. Reading stuff... surfing around, and I'm intrigued. I'll probably be a late buyer, but that's my bad.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I think the problem is that this doesn't seem like a game many people have an interest in the style of nor are willing to pay $50 for

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne
    SmugDarkLoser said:

I think the problem is that this doesn't seem like a game many people have an interest in the style of nor are willing to pay $50 for

I think the problem is that people are idiots.

"Little King’s Story is a gem in the Wii’s catalogue; full of charm, style and addictive gameplay, it deserves to sell much more than New Play Control! Pikmin 2, coincidentally released on the same day. With a fantastic script and localisation, greater variety in the tasks involved and dozens of moments that will bring a beaming smile to your face, Little King’s Story outdoes Miyamoto’s garden game on every level. The King is dead – long live the King!"

Little King's Story is another great example of why the wii whining is so ridiculous; if this were called Pikmin3, the whole gaming world would be over it. But it's not. It's not a first party title. It has a friendly title and friendly graphics, putting all the manly gamers off. So, obviously, it's a lame title that isn't worth money.

I played it today for the first time. Can't wait to go on. But of course, it won't sell. For some moronic reason, an art style like that only sells if it has Nintendo IP characters tacked on.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

The Eurogamer review was written by some awesome dude.

It's not just a glorious celebration of farming crops, finding treasure, living the pastoral ideal and making friends with cows called Pancho. It's also about monarchy, oligarchy, religious hegemony, the effect of industrial growth on socio-economic power structures, feudalism and genocide.

Repetitive? Yes. Dull? Yes, if you're the type of person who thinks all games are dull unless they feature 19 kinds of gun, monsters who look like they're made of genitals and a driving bit. If you prefer pretty, soothing, comforting gaming experiences, Little King's Story will hook you in like a lullaby sung by an angel who breathes morphine. The real world will slip gently away, and nothing will matter to you but hats and cows and lumberjacks, and not until someone comes in and says "It's Tuesday" will you realise anything else exists.

This is an epic game. However, like all the best titles of its kind, LKS is quietly addictive. Just when you reach a point of frustration and think you've had enough, a new job type will become available or a new area will open up, and it's impossible to resist playing on. Little King's Story is not the best game you'll ever play. It's repetitive, it's lacking in depth and it can feel slow and frustrating at times. Plus it's got some dodgy politics and a rubbish save system. But it's the best game I've played all year, and that includes Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad. It's charming, engrossing and just plain fun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    sidescroller said:
    "MasturbatingBear said:
    " I generally like my rpgs to be more serious in story"... "Super Mario RPGesque."
    Dude...what?!"
    *Insert animated gif of Scanners exploding head scene here.*
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Mushir

Hmmm I don't play RPG's but I really like the art style of this game. Is this game for me?

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
    MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By MasturbatingBear
    Hailinel said:
    "sidescroller said:
    "MasturbatingBear said:
    " I generally like my rpgs to be more serious in story"... "Super Mario RPGesque."
    Dude...what?!"
    *Insert animated gif of Scanners exploding head scene here.*"
    Thats meant to be a joke lol. Technically that game would be an exception, but literally the story was kind of serious? depends on how you look at it, there is tons of goofy shit but. Just I can't really explain it. Just this game doesn't look so interesting to me. sorry.
    iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By iGaboru

This game is not an RPG but a mix of RTS, Sim and Harvest Moon greatness!

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By lord_canti

isnt this game made by one of the creaters of final fantasy or dragonball or something

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

@the_chojin99 said:

isnt this game made by one of the creaters of final fantasy or dragonball or something

Yes, I forget his name also. he works for Cing, the people that created Hotel Dusk Room 215 on DS

It really is a fantastic game, you would be crazy to not to play it as a Wii owner. It's easily one of the best titles the Wii has.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Kazu666
    Linkyshinks said:
    @the_chojin99 said: isnt this game made by one of the creaters of final fantasy or dragonball or something Yes, I ... [more]
    There isn't really much competition for that though is there? :P   Wii has been awful since Twilight Princess. No More Heroes was ok i suppose.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Meowayne
    Kazu666 said:
    Linkyshinks said: @the_chojin99 said: isnt this game made by one of the creaters of final fantasy or dragonball or something ... [more]
    Sigh.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Meowayne

Oh god. The world is coming to an end: Even gamespot loved it.

The third AA/AAA Wii RTS this summer after Swords & Soldiers and Dawn of Discovery.

But hey, why should you care, eh?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Meh, Wii gaemz. Where r dey? They dunt xist.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne

I NO RITE lololo

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Endogene
    @Kinarion said:
    " Before FFCC: My Life as a King I would not have given this a second look.  But truth be told, I played the hell out of that little title.  I really hope this one avoids the same issues of borderline uncorrectable town organization and end-game slowdown.  "
    You can't actually decide where the house comes, they all have pre-set positions. I'm about 8 hours in and the fame rate has been stable all the time. It's quite amazing how at the beginning of the game everything is empty and once you start adding some buildings everything start to live up.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Meowayne

It's also confusing for people without a sense of direction, like me. The minimap is too small and the big map is too big and too vague; I got a little lost in my town(s) more than once.
    There are a lot of little annoyances and things that could have been done a bit better ("E-OH!!!!!11111one"), but it speaks for the game that regardless of that, it has received hugely positive reviews all around.

Of all the reviews for this game (and there are many by now), the "worst" is Eurogamers with 8.0, saying "It's not the best game you'll ever play, but it's the best game of the year".

I mean, wow.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Gmanall said:
    " Not big on a waggle RPG "

It's a Adventure RTS... and there's no waggle at all in this game.

Just finished the game an hour ago :D

LKS is a awesome game with many merits, If you can get beyond some of it's obvious control flaws and slow early pace, you will grow to love it as I do.

Little King Story is a king among RTS games, it features a graphics and audio which seem to suit it perfectly. It has excellent gameplay which has a good level of longevity.

Linky's Score ****/ 9.1
    Linky's Score ****/ 9.1

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Endogene
    @Linkyshinks: How long did it take you to beat? I'm about 8hours in and it feels like i've only scratched the surface.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Endogene said:
    " @Linkyshinks: How long did it take you to beat? I'm about 8hours in and it feels like i've only scratched the surface. "

You have only scratched the surface. Around 25 hours or so, I have not checked, I will check later though.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I don't know how this flew under my radar, but it looks like it might be right up my alley.  As soon as I have some extra dough, I'll check it out.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kinarion
    @Endogene said:
    "
    @Kinarion said:
    " Before FFCC: My Life as a King I would not have given this a second look.  But truth be told, I played the hell out of that little title.  I really hope this one avoids the same issues of borderline uncorrectable town organization and end-game slowdown.  "
    You can't actually decide where the house comes, they all have pre-set positions. I'm about 8 hours in and the fame rate has been stable all the time. It's quite amazing how at the beginning of the game everything is empty and once you start adding some buildings everything start to live up. "
    Being as we're presumably using the same hardware, and because everyone's end-game looks roughly the same due to population caps, I can't really imagine why our experiences would be so different on the performance front.  Perhaps my town organization lent itself to putting too many models on screen at once, such as in the creation distinct residential and commercial sections.  Or else, did you not get the DLC?  I always played with it, so that could be different.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, he's talking about Little King's Story telling you it's not likely to have MLAAK's issues, and that he hasn't encountered any yet.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By AgentJ

It's sad that even though a game like this gets such fantastic reviews, it will probably fail in sales because of the art style. If only there was some way that someone could market this game to the non-gamer crowd. Just a few commercials on prime time would do wonders for it. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowayne
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well they are only samples from the promo disc that was given to visitors at TGS last year, but I have removed it just in case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.