Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 18, 2011

LittleBigPlanet 2 expands the creation tools introduced in the first game, allowing user levels to diverge even more from the base gameplay. It also features a new story mode.

I hated the first game, but I want to love this one.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

Someone please tell me how this game is improved from LBP 1. The things I hated the most were the deaths and the floaty feeling. I'd mainly like to know if there is anyone out there who felt the same way about the first game and who got the second one and loves it. 

I really hated how the game felt and it's hard for me to describe it, but it just felt imprecise. There was a noticeable lag between my input and the jumping and when in the air it felt like I was controlling a character using a parachute. 

Also, I hated how if you were running and got stuck between two objects and died. Those little things pissed me off so much. It wasn't even necessarily because the objects crushed me - my character would just get stuck on something, then die. Many little things like that. 

One last thing I want to see if it's improved is the life system when playing online. I hated playing online because other people always stole my lives because they were dying all the time. It ruined the experience of the online for me. 

I really love the idea of the game I just want to know if these things have been improved upon. I would rent the game but where I live, there was only one rental place and they closed down recently do I can't even do that. Thanks!    

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

Well the floaty feeling is still basically there, and I have died a few times by getting stuck on stuff.  

I wish i could comment on the multiplayer life stealing mechanic because I have only play local Multiplayer, and both of us were competent players. I say give the demo a try, and watch the quick look. If you dont see anything new, then it most likely is not for you. I personally love it so far. I beat the single player, and  plan on messing around with the level editor, while playing community levels. It has plenty of great additions to switch up the gameplay, but the basic stuff you talked about it still pretty much the same. 

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Dawglet

You're going to hate it.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

Go play Super Meat Boy if you want zero input delay. For me, LBP2 is easily the best platforming game i've ever played.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By septim

Everything I've heard is that the controls have been slightly refined, but it still retains that "floaty" feeling of the original. The fact that it's backwards compatible with LBP1 levels tells me that it probably feels more or less the exact same.

I feel the same way as you. I appreciate what it's trying so hard to do... but not enough to bother with it if the mechanics aren't there.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @xyzygy: I really enjoyed the first one. Well, I enjoyed everything about the first one except for the gameplay.
    All the creation tools and window-dressing made LBP totally worthwhile, unfortunately not fixing the gameplay in LBP2 makes it substantially less worthwhile for me.

I'll probably pick up the obligatory GOTY version on the cheap next year.
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Noodles
    @Gizmo said:
    " Go play Super Meat Boy if you want zero input delay. "
    Thank you, I will.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By canucks23

This is still littlebigplanet. If you didn't like the first one, you're not gonna like the 2nd one. The feeling is generally the same as far as i can tell, but i haven't played lbp1 in over a year, and i never had a problem with the way the game played in the first place.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By lego_my_eggo

In lbp1 they added new spawn points, one with infinite lives and one with 8. But it is still up to the level maker which spawn point they use. I do not have lbp2 yet but it looks like you can change the gravity and even make levels that you don't even need to play as sackboy, which i assume would change how the game feels. You should try out the demo and see how the basic gameplay feels to you.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akrid

As someone who hated the originals floaty, shitty controls, I love this one. I mean, it's not a great platformer by itself, but the creativity thats packed into every inch of that game picks up the slack.  The platforming is also better in that it's less demanding of you.

I really wasn't expecting much since I couldn't see how they could improve on the first one (I'm all around down on the first one by the way), but they have in every possible way. But apart from tuning up everything, it's still the same game, so if you hated the first one for something other then it's massive technical issues you may not like it.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By drac96

The controls seem exactly the same in LBP 2 for me. The controls are still floaty, and you can still die when you get stuck in between two objects(This happens more often than I would like). If you didn't really like the first you most likely won't like this one either.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I wasn't a very big fan of the first one for many of the same reasons you dislike it, but I've really liked LBP2.

The campaign of LBP2 is much more enjoyable because the platforming does not demand the kind of precision that the controls simply cannot deliver, which was really the problem with the first game.  The character movement doesn't feel very different, if it has changed at all, but the game is no longer as frustrating as the original.  It also helps that they are constantly switching up the gameplay, so your time isn't spent solely on mediocre platforming.  Many of the alternate genres displayed in the game have controls which are quite tight.

I can't speak to the online health system, but when playing solo I've died many times and never had to restart from the beginning of a level.  I don't think you have a limited number of lives.  Could be wrong.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By stackboy

It feels like the first and Little Big Planet all over, but done better. Not sure if that helps at all. Sounds like you have a grudge against the first game, so maybe you won't enjoy the second title.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Feels like the first one, if you don't like it, change the gravity :P
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mordukai
    @xyzygy: How can you hate something with Sackboy in it??? He' so darn CUUUUTE. You're soulless...LOL
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tsoglani

I was pleasantly surprised with this game; very good platformer. 

My sackboy Shaman Ninja is cursing the haters right now.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
    @Spoonman671: That's actually an excellent suggestion. I never thought of it like that before - instead of change around the controls, change around the environments to suit the controls better. 
    IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IamTerics

The life stealing thing sounds kind of like bad luck. The last guys I played with were good but they both beat the game. I cant really tell the difference between the jumping from the first game and second. And can someone explain the gravity thing? I haven't seen any gravity changing options or anything.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Trebz

Everything Spoonman said. The level design both offline and online is working a lot better with the physics and controls than it did a couple of years ago and the other genres control really well. Blast Radius (a top down shooter level) controls just as well as any good downloadable twin-stick shooter on XBLA or PSN.

Avatar image for stinkinmushroom
    Stinkinmushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stinkinmushroom

The best community levels don't even use the sackboy ... so i would give it a try. There's so much more possibilities with the Editor! One of my friends is already hooked on one of the community levels saying it should be a PSN game with trophies and he would buy it. The platforming.. is just one of the main possibilities. You won't like the story mode though...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.