Any coverage from Giantbomb?

#1 Posted by the_korben (66 posts) -

LBP is really an exceptional title. Perhaps it is so exceptional as to be the exception from the rule and we might actually get a nice quick look? I know that the whole Vita capturing situation is a farce, but this games deserves to be shown. Well, if nothing else we'll hopefully get a review from Alex.

#2 Posted by Legend (2659 posts) -

I demand LBP Vita to be on the next Thursday Night Throwdown. :P

#3 Edited by FLStyle (4693 posts) -

I wasn't aware Alex had a Vita, has he done Vita reviews before? More importantly, what does this game have that proves it's more than a simple port?

#4 Posted by driver3000 (10 posts) -

I forgot all about the Vita... This generation of handhelds really feels underwhelming to me.

#5 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

@the_korben said:

LBP is really an exceptional title. Perhaps it is so exceptional as to be the exception from the rule and we might actually get a nice quick look?

Sony hasn't sent out capture hardware to the media yet. Until that happens, there's really no way for us to do a "nice" Quick Look of anything on the Vita. I've made Sony aware of this issue and hopefully they'll resolve it in the near future.

Staff
#6 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

Also, in case you're wondering, I messed with the game for about 20 minutes. It seems fine, but some of the touch screen stuff that I used (for moving blocks around and such) felt overly twitchy.

Staff
#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1428 posts) -

Sigh, any chance for Vita Quick Look EXs where the devs bring their hardware for recording, like I assume Atlus did for Gamespot's Persona 4 Golden preview?

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5074 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

I wasn't aware Alex had a Vita, has he done Vita reviews before? More importantly, what does this game have that proves it's more than a simple port?

I believe he did the Gravity Rush one which probably was the last Vita release that got a review. As someone who just bought one, I hope to see more coverage of the system....so I don't feel like I wasted my money

#9 Posted by FLStyle (4693 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@FLStyle said:

I believe he did the Gravity Rush one which probably was the last Vita release that got a review. As someone who just bought one, I hope to see more coverage of the system....so I don't feel like I wasted my money

I don't know what to tell you, I hope there's some good releases down the line outside of Assassin's Creed III: Liberation and Persona 4 Golden, but I personally don't see any reason to buy a hand-held ever again at the moment.

#10 Posted by Nightriff (5074 posts) -

@FLStyle: And I've preordered both of those from Amazon. I still enjoy a handheld console, something to take to work and play late at night. I just hope there isn't a huge price cut a month from now, same thing happened when I bought my PS3.

#11 Posted by BlackLagoon (1428 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

He did write a bit about the Vita version of Sound Shapes in his review also. It's too bad Sony couldn't get a solution for this by now, since there's a bunch of new games coming in October. We might at least get something for Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward through the 3DS version. It's a neat little visual novel/mystery/puzzle game with parallels to the Cube and Saw movies, and a follow up to the cult NDS title Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I do think it's something at least Patrick might be interested in.

#12 Posted by the_korben (66 posts) -

@Jeff: Thanks for the update, Jeff. Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot if they don't act on this soon.

Glad you like the game. I got it yesterday as well and I agree that the touch-based stuff seems a bit finicky at first, but it's actually really well integrated in terms of puzzle design. Once you're done with the tutorial levels of the first creater (which takes about 30 minutes or so), it starts to improve. And the level creation obviously benefits greatly from it as well. I also really like how you can challenge your friends via "near".

#13 Posted by Mister_V (1282 posts) -

It's a shame this situation exists with the capture kits. I picked up a Vita last weeks and its a well made device I'm really impressed with it.

#14 Posted by Zereta (1366 posts) -

Man, Sony really sent the Vita out to die, huh? :/

LPB Vita looks cool and all but yea, one game (Plus Persona 4: Golden and AC: Liberation, I guess) isn't enough to warrant buying an entire system. Unless they have a price cut.

#15 Posted by Redice (4 posts) -

I love little big planet vita. Giantbomb as a whole seems to be a bit down on the Vita. We all know it isn't selling well. More and more awesome games are coming out on the Vita; but since everyone is down on it and so few people actually play the games almost no one recognizes these games. The Vita continues to do poorly not only in sales because each new game released for it is quickly forgotten; people keep asking when more games are coming out

#16 Posted by VincentVendetta (250 posts) -

There's a hundred dead Vitas outside, waiting for the night to come.

#17 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

Sigh, any chance for Vita Quick Look EXs where the devs bring their hardware for recording, like I assume Atlus did for Gamespot's Persona 4 Golden preview?

Yes, it sounds like Sony has lifted its stance on allowing direct feed of Vita games to get out there. Either that or developers are tired of not being able to promote their games properly and are taking matters into their own hands. Either way, we currently have one such offer on our plate for an upcoming VIta game and we're mulling it over. It's a game we've already reviewed on other platforms, so it's not likely to have a bunch of new info, but I'm interested in getting something Vita-related on the site, so we might just say yes anyway.

Staff
#18 Posted by Duffyside (890 posts) -

@Jeff said:

@BlackLagoon said:

Yes, it sounds like Sony has lifted its stance on allowing direct feed of Vita games to get out there. Either that or developers are tired of not being able to promote their games properly and are taking matters into their own hands. Either way, we currently have one such offer on our plate for an upcoming VIta game and we're mulling it over. It's a game we've already reviewed on other platforms, so it's not likely to have a bunch of new info, but I'm interested in getting something Vita-related on the site, so we might just say yes anyway.

This thread's purpose is to now guess the game in question.

Hmm... New Little King's Story?

#19 Edited by BlackLagoon (1428 posts) -

@Duffyside said:

He said it was something they've already covered, so presumably it's either Street Fighter x Tekken or Jet Set Radio.

EDIT: Well, he said reviewed specifically, and they didn't review JSR.

#20 Posted by Duffyside (890 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Duffyside said:

He said it was something they've already covered, so presumably it's either Street Fighter x Tekken or Jet Set Radio.

EDIT: Well, he said reviewed specifically, and they didn't review JSR.

Actually, he said it was a game they already REVIEWED, so it looks like SF X Tekken is the one. ... High five?

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

It's a shame, i love littlebigplanet and its on a dumb vita. :/

#22 Posted by Duffyside (890 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

It's a shame, i love littlebigplanet and its on a dumb vita. :/

You have two versions to play on the PS3, plus a PSP game? Don't sweat it?

Honestly dude, the Vita game is true LBP, but I've played this game before.

#23 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@Duffyside More LBP is always a good thing. I'm not upset about it or anything.
#24 Edited by RedBullRacer (72 posts) -

LBP on the Vita is not only the best LBP game yet, it is one of the finest games released this year so far. Touch & tilt used in the most perfect of ways coming together amazing with D-pad, sticks and buttons like nothing before. It's a crying shame Giantbomb ignore the Vita the way they do, they really are missing out on some great gaming experiences. Hopefully when Persona 4 comes out that will make Giantbomb wake up and see the beauty of the Vita instead of just dismissing it.

#25 Posted by BlackLagoon (1428 posts) -

@RedBullRacer: As Jeff said earlier in the topic, it is because they don't have any way to capture video from the Vita directly, and they don't think filming somebody play is a good solution. That said, on the Bombcast Patrick did suggest they should "do something" with Silent Hill: Book of Memories, so I dunno, maybe we'll get a text review of it or something...

#26 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

@RedBullRacer said:

LBP on the Vita is not only the best LBP game yet, it is one of the finest games released this year so far. Touch & tilt used in the most perfect of ways coming together amazing with D-pad, sticks and buttons like nothing before. It's a crying shame Giantbomb ignore the Vita the way they do, they really are missing out on some great gaming experiences. Hopefully when Persona 4 comes out that will make Giantbomb wake up and see the beauty of the Vita instead of just dismissing it.

They're not willfully ignoring it. In fact, Jeff has said a few times that they want to cover it more but Sony still hasn't given them a way to capture footage of Vita stuff. They even scheduled a quick look because a device to let them do so was supposed to be present and they cancelled when hearing that wasn't the case.

#27 Posted by TheHBK (5482 posts) -

Does Jeff have a Vita?

#28 Posted by Bane122 (789 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Does Jeff have a Vita?

Yeah. Partrick borrowed it when he took his leave during the summer.

#29 Posted by RedBullRacer (72 posts) -

Yeah I understand they can't capture footage, that does suck, but they could still talk about LBP and other Vita games on the Bombcast. LBP hasn't even been talked about on the Bombcast other then 2 secs of "LBP is out this week for the Vita"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.