Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Little Big Planet Motion Controls Demonstration

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

Here.

It looks like a crude version of Icarian/NyxQuest style gameplay, but good enough for a demo. Maybe it will make this game actually interesting ;)

It doesn't show the gal controling the pointer much, but she seems to "wave" rather than simply "point" like you tend to do with the Wii's own pointer functions. I guess that could just be how the gal chose to play to emphasise the motion but then that's how the engineers demonstrating the device last time did it also, and with much more exagerated motions at the time. I think it's just how it actually works. Or not, we'll see.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Al3xand3r said:

"Maybe it will make this game actually interesting now eh ;"

I heavily dispute this point. Good stealth troll, though.

In other news: thanks very much for the video, I've been looking for that.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's not trolling friend, it's no secret I found LBP interesting before release but felt the game was extremely uninteresting come launch due to the wonky platforming physics involved. Level physics, good, platforming physics, the actual character control, I hate. If you don't, yay for you, but that doesn't make people who didn't trolls. I was hoping they'd make changes for the PSP game, alas, they don't seem to be.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

Looks okay... I found the blatent pokes at the whole thing from you more entertaining, though.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

it actually looks pretty interesting 

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sort of reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy. One person controls Sackboy while another uses the pointer to grab things in the enviroment. 

Also that girl is evil.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Steve_C

This looks a lot better than expected actually. Some fun implementation in there. I wonder if they'll release a DLC pack of these motion orientated levels.

I heard comparisions to Super Mario Galaxy's two-player mode, but this seems a lot more engaging.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

It could make for some rather interesting co-operative level design. But it's right there that they lose me in some ways.

I wish the sticks had an analogue stick on them. I appreciate the Wii rip-off claims and all, but I hope they just copy the nunchuck for these. That way, you could do all the motion control stuff in co-op or alone. Which makes it a much more worthwhile extension.

They should put an analogue stick on every controller and make you buy two when you buy it. That way you have complete parity. Nunchuck style control (dualstick style control in fact, if evey wand has a stick on it) and two wands meaning you can do what Sony actually intend you to do --- they've even said in the past that they want to everyone to own to. If they don't sell them in pairs, how can they expect people to program games requiring too -- youre just complicating the divide. Think about it: the project is already in the niche of those who own a PS3; then it's layered into the niche of those who own an Eye Toy; then the niche of those who own a wand; are developers really going to break that down even further into those who own two wands? No.

If they want to make it work, they have to take a hit. Two wands (both with analogue sticks) and an Eye Toy with some tech demo for $60 has to happen.

One wand (with no sticks) could be a disaster.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks like a crude version of Icarian/NyxQuest style gameplay    

A scathing estimation, but true on the evidence of that one video alone. It could be used in other more innovative ways we've yet to see though. I'm keeping an open mind., I won't underestimate the creative capability of LPB's community to come up with something awesome. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

That's one thing I like about Icarian (and to a lesser extent, Lost Winds), that you can play it both single player and co-op.

Custom levels for this could work similar, if they made navigation the only action required by sack boy, and everything else up to the remote. But yes, actually supporting this solution natively by allowing full control of the character and the motion stuff at the same time would be best.

@Linky, yes, I did say good enough for a demonstration, I do hope however that the final result will be much more polished. For example, you don't merely move the objects around as if they're nothing in Icarian, they're still wobbling about with physics as if something is actually grabbing, or pushing them, and your powers are actually balanced since there's a gauge that needs downtime to refill, and other such things that provide a more robust gameplay feel. Indeed, it would (will?) be sweet to have that in an environment that allows creativity like Little Big Planet (with the option to turn elements like the gauge of, so you could have levels fully based around constant object manipulation for example) as you could have many things not seen even in Lost Winds or Icarian at all. I did mean it when I said it could make this game interesting.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum

This looks really gimmicky.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Al3xand3r said:

" That's one thing I like about Icarian (and to a lesser extent, Lost Winds), that you can play it both single player and co-op.

Custom levels for this could work similar, if they made navigation the only action required by sack boy, and everything else up to the remote. But yes, actually supporting this solution natively by allowing full control of the character and the motion stuff at the same time would be best.

@Linky, yes, I did say good enough for a demonstration, I do hope however that the final result will be much more polished. For example, you don't merely move the objects around as if they're nothing in Icarian, they're still wobbling about with physics as if something is actually grabbing, or pushing them, and your powers are actually balanced since there's a gauge that needs downtime to refill, and other such things that provide a more robust gameplay feel. Indeed, it would (will?) be sweet to have that in an environment that allows creativity like Little Big Planet (with the option to turn elements like the gauge of, so you could have levels fully based around constant object manipulation for example) as you could have many things not seen even in Lost Winds or Icarian at all. I did mean it when I said it could make this game interesting. "

I think Media M should be able to implement those kind of things easily, a resetting gauge is certainly a possible tool.

LBP missesa few magical ingredients for me, I've never been able to truly enjoy it, and I've really tried to... 

Last year some BAFTA  people approached me while I was shopping for videogames in "GAME" on London's Oxford Street, they filmed a short interview with me based on my thoughts about LBP... I didn't even have the game at the time, my housemate did, lol. Anyway, I started off being really positive about the game, talking about how amazing the community could potentially become with time. I also talked about the harnessing of creativity, and how LBP was the natural progression for the platformer to take, etc etc. The more I thought about the game while talking about it, I found myself being more open about was actually wrong with it. I became quite scathing about it's foundation physics saying they ultimately ruined what would otherwise be a great game. The bastards cut all of my negative opinions from the VT, they made me look like some hardcore Sony fanboy on TV, lol. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper
    @get2sammyb said:
    "If they want to make it work, they have to take a hit. Two wands (both with analogue sticks) and an Eye Toy with some tech demo for $60 has to happen.  One wand (with no sticks) could be a disaster. "
    I agree. They need to package these in 2. There shouldn't be a way to only get 1 because then people will get that and then not buy any games that need 2 instead of just buying the 2nd controller aswell.

I still hope that isn't the final design, either. I think the perfect controller for this would be something like the Nunchuck prehaps with a few more buttons in smart places with 1 of them balls whacked on the top so you can do everything from move to reload or jump to point and shoot with a 1 handed controller. I doubt that's possible though so they should basicaly just rip off the Wiimote and nunchuck concept but instead make both have the same functionality except 1 have different buttons on it that do different things.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, it's really just not very fun at its core, is it? They should have just completely ripped off 2D Mario physics and added a different jump or two to avoid being called such. With the level physics they already have, and the editing, it would have been its own sweet beast. Skill based varied platforming should have been added before everything else. They got other things right and forgot about that one all important aspect, imo.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Scooper said:
    " @get2sammyb said:
    "If they want to make it work, they have to take a hit. Two wands (both with analogue sticks) and an Eye Toy with some tech demo for $60 has to happen.  One wand (with no sticks) could be a disaster. "
    I agree. They need to package these in 2. There shouldn't be a way to only get 1 because then people will get that and then not buy any games that need 2 instead of just buying the 2nd controller aswell.  I still hope that isn't the final design, either. I think the perfect controller for this would be something like the Nunchuck prehaps with a few more buttons in smart places with 1 of them balls whacked on the top so you can do everything from move to reload or jump to point and shoot with a 1 handed controller. I doubt that's possible though so they should basicaly just rip off the Wiimote and nunchuck concept but instead make both have the same functionality except 1 have different buttons on it that do different things. "
    I don't think they're final by a long shot. I mean they showed Resident Evil 5 with someone holding a DualShock with one hand. I mean, they can't seriously consider that as the final solution. They have to come up with something better.

Personally I hope Sony's Dr. Richard Marks read my post!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.