Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

Sony need to do some really clever marketing on this game.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HazBazz

I say this, because the casual players, the people Sony are going after, and the people who will make or break this game, don't know what it's all about. My sister, a 13 year old kid who plays The Sims and Nintendogs, came up to me a few minutes ago and asked about it. I'm not sure how she heared of the game, its probably from that whole Qu'ran thing, even my mum knew about that. Anyway, clearly all she'd seen was a simple platformer with a strange teddy running around. A Mario rip-off, something for 8 year olds.
    She said "Have a look on a game site for that Little Big World game, it looks crap." Direct quote. I showed her the scores it was getting on GameFAQs and explained what the game is all about. I explained how you can make your own levels, share them on the internet, all that stuff. So after I'd explained it all, she liked the look of it.
    But the fact is, not all the kids have a big brother who can explain the game to them, and most people will see what she saw, a simple platformer.
    I'm wondering, how can Sony get the message accross about what LBP is all about in 20 second ads, because it took me quite a bit of explaining before my sis 'got it'. Your thoughts?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pibo47

Sony missed the boat on the whole marketing thing. If they havnt gotten it right now, i dont think they ever will. Not to sound like a MS fanboy (cause im not) but MS is an amazing marketer(?)

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

Yeah, some ad campaigning would be nice, I haven't even seen any commercials, and LBP is one of Sony's big games. It makes no sense.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KingBroly

I saw a commercial and it was awesome.  They just need better ad placement for it.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HazBazz
    KingBroly said:
    "I saw a commercial and it was awesome.  They just need better ad placement for it."
    Was it the 'If Fun Didnt Matter' ad? Because that doesnt exaplain the game's main feature, the user created content. If I were to look at that ad without knowing anything about the game, all I'd see is a platformer with a bit of physics crazyness
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Player1

I really hope they have a good ad campaign around christmas, because thats when most casual gamers get their games. 

I don't know how many times I've had to explain this game to my friends. Sony just isn't doing that good of a job at getting the word out. 
    Gorlith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Gorlith

they just need to have a narrator for the commercial, somone that sounds nice and friendly, maybe the narrator from the game.
    have him be like "welcome to little big planet" [generic clips of the gameplay] "a world where you can play" [clips still] "create " [clips of level creation, not long or scary], "and share your creations with the world" [clips of multiplayer, show some crazy levels, a breif clip that shows that levels you can play are authored by other players, psn logo, sony logo, etc... sackboy waving, done]  i think they can do the whole thing in like 15-25 seconds depending on what they try to include.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By dtran1212

even though they release this game in the fall, it is still a holiday game for sony, so expect a lot, and i mean a lot, of ads for this game come christmas time.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HazBazz
    dtran1212 said:
    "even though they release this game in the fall, it is still a holiday game for sony, so expect a lot, and i mean a lot, of ads for this game come christmas time."
    but when does christmas shopping really start? Quite a lot of people get it done really early, like now, so really Sony should be starting the ad campaign now.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum
    Pibo47 said:
    "Sony missed the boat on the whole marketing thing. If they havnt gotten it right now, i dont think they ever will. Not to sound like a MS fanboy (cause im not) but MS is an amazing marketer(?)"
    I wouldn't say that are an amazing marketer (MS), but they promote more than Sony. I might see an ad for a PS3 game or PS3 console once every few days, but I will see an Xbox 360 commercial or Xbox 360 game once a day.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Sony has no marketing, have you seen the ps3 commercials? they didnt even bother to advertice mgs4 =/ sony sucks big time

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Pibo47
    Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "Sony has no marketing, have you seen the ps3 commercials? they didnt even bother to advertice mgs4 =/ sony sucks big time"
    I saw ONE ad...ONE! JUST ONE! For one of the best games of all time? ONE AD!!! WTF SONY! I have alleast seen 25 Gears of War 2 (which looks like another great games of all time) ad's already. Wtf sony....i really dont like hating on sony so much. But its something they need their balls busted on. Hopfully people wont lose faith in sony consoles, because i am starting to, which is sad considering how much i loved my PS2, and my PS1. (PS i have always loved MS aswell, just so MS fanboys dont nail me)
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Karmum
    Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "Sony has no marketing, have you seen the ps3 commercials? they didnt even bother to advertice mgs4 =/ sony sucks big time"
    I remember seeing pictures of MGS4 being advertised heavily (in billboards), in Time Square. I think.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

I saw a television commercial for Spider-Man: Web of Shadows over the weekend. Sony must be really cheap...

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Pibo47 said:
    "Sony missed the boat on the whole marketing thing. If they havnt gotten it right now, i dont think they ever will. Not to sound like a MS fanboy (cause im not) but MS is an amazing marketer(?)"
    Microsoft is kind of a mixed batch. There are awesome ones like Gears's and Halo's, the there's crap like the ads for Lips.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Marketing is to make people buy the game. LittleBigPlanet sells itself.

dsplayer1010 said:
    "Pibo47 said:
    Microsoft is kind of a mixed batch. There are awesome ones like Gears's and Halo's, the there's crap like the ads for Lips."
    And for a particular PC ad featuring Seinfeld . . .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.