Does anyone feel like this is a "faux" Suda 51 joint?

#1 Edited by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

I own and love almost all of Suda 51's american releases and can usually see his charm in all the titles. I have been casually playing "Lollipop Chainsaw" since picking it up release day. To be honest, I am not having as much fun with it as I did "Shadows of the Damned" and although it was directed by Massimo Guarini, I still felt a lot of Suda51's pacing and overall concept were intact. I know he hasn't solely directed a game since "No more Heroes" on the Wii, I still felt his presence lingering in later Grasshopper Manufacture games, even after they kept putting his name on the cover.

It is a good game but I just don't feel like it was a whole concept created and designed by Suda51, just like something he spit balled and than green lighted with another director to expand on. Either way, at least he is coming back in "Killer is dead", possibly. Is anyone else feeling the same about this?

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15902 posts) -

I disagree. This is one of the Suda-ist Suda games to be released since No More Heroes. And I love it.

#3 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Your quote rampage must be stopped soon. For shame kind duder!

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

After the boss fights you can still say this? Hell, even in the middle of Stage 3, you fight a mechanical giant zombie chicken. A MECHANICAL GIANT ZOMBIE CHICKEN.

#5 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

You missed the opportunity to call this game a "psuedo" Suda 51 joint.

FOR SHAME, SIR

#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11595 posts) -

I thought it was exactly what a Suda 51 game was supposed to be. A hilariously juvenile sense of humor combined with acceptably middling gameplay? That sounds pretty accurate to me.

#7 Edited by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@august said:

You missed the opportunity to call this game a "psuedo" Suda 51 joint. FOR SHAME, SIR

I have my head down in shame, good sir.

@Phatmac said:

Your quote rampage must be stopped soon. For shame kind duder!

"aww lames".

@ArbitraryWater said:

I thought it was exactly what a Suda 51 game was supposed to be. A hilariously juvenile sense of humor combined with acceptably middling gameplay? That sounds pretty accurate to me.

I agree in that sense, I think it feels too much like a compilation of what he has done in the last 6 years more so than something unique like I am used to with each of his new releases.

#8 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

I feel the style is just as crazy as previous releases, and I think it plays better than any of his other games. I think it would still be a GOOD game without the craziness.

#9 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I never played the game but I could believe that. From my understanding Suda just came up with the premise and James Gunn actually wrote the script.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14736 posts) -

Its one of my favorite games of the year. So, no can't say I feel that way.

#11 Edited by Yummylee (21479 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

After the boss fights you can still say this? Hell, even in the middle of Stage 3, you fight a mechanical giant zombie chicken. A MECHANICAL GIANT ZOMBIE CHICKEN.

That isn't actually fun to fight, though.

EDIT: Though I will confess that I do like the other boss battles. I just wanted to chime in and say that that boss battle was horrendous. Fighting the killer rooster during arcade mode is pretty funny, though. Even if all you need to do is use Juliet's butt to make him groggy and then boom.

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2543 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

Well if the gameplay was great or super-fun then it wouldn't be Suda51 joint would it?

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

@MikeGosot said:

EDIT: Though I will confess that I do like the other boss battles. I just wanted to chime in and say that that boss battle was horrendous. Fighting the killer rooster during arcade mode is pretty funny, though. Even if all you need to do is use Juliet's butt to make him groggy and then boom.

Yeah, i actually remember the chicken because it was a pretty shitty battle. But like you, i really like the other battles. Zed's probably my favorite boss yet, mostly because of his voice actor.
#14 Posted by Yummylee (21479 posts) -

@Village_Guy: Eh, I actually think the gameplay is surprisingly fun in Lollipop Chainsaw - easily the most accessible of the lot. It's at the very least a better character-action game than SoTD is a shooter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.