The Next Game From Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka is...

• 159 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4112 posts) -

After the excellent Shadows of the Damned, sign me up for anything else Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka collaborate on at Grasshopper Manufacture. I'm not sure a cheerleader flashing her panties and fighting zombies in something called Lollipop Chainsaw is what would come to mind, but after initially dismissing Shadows of the Damned, I'll bite my tongue.

The first screen shots, courtesy of Famitsu, do the best job of underscoring my initial response:

Not much of a shocker for a game coming from Suda 51, is it?

Masahiro Shidara, who previously worked at Tecmo, is the producer of Lollipop Chainsaw, with Suda 51 acting as creative director. Silent Hill and Shadows of the Damned composer Akira Yamaoka is working on this one, too.

Basically, so far so good. I mean, there's a head attached to the damn chainsaw.

Players are in control of Juliet Sterling in what appears to be a spiritual successor to No More Heroes, a franchise that's currently taking a rest after its second Wii outing, but one Suda 51's admitted he wants to return to eventually.

Not every Grasshopper Manufacture game comes to the US. After the sales performance of Shadows of the Damned, getting the studio's quirky experiences over here might be that much harder.

One hopes I'm wrong, though.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4112 posts) -

After the excellent Shadows of the Damned, sign me up for anything else Suda 51 and Akira Yamaoka collaborate on at Grasshopper Manufacture. I'm not sure a cheerleader flashing her panties and fighting zombies in something called Lollipop Chainsaw is what would come to mind, but after initially dismissing Shadows of the Damned, I'll bite my tongue.

The first screen shots, courtesy of Famitsu, do the best job of underscoring my initial response:

Not much of a shocker for a game coming from Suda 51, is it?

Masahiro Shidara, who previously worked at Tecmo, is the producer of Lollipop Chainsaw, with Suda 51 acting as creative director. Silent Hill and Shadows of the Damned composer Akira Yamaoka is working on this one, too.

Basically, so far so good. I mean, there's a head attached to the damn chainsaw.

Players are in control of Juliet Sterling in what appears to be a spiritual successor to No More Heroes, a franchise that's currently taking a rest after its second Wii outing, but one Suda 51's admitted he wants to return to eventually.

Not every Grasshopper Manufacture game comes to the US. After the sales performance of Shadows of the Damned, getting the studio's quirky experiences over here might be that much harder.

One hopes I'm wrong, though.

Staff
#2 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2052 posts) -

Take my money now.

#3 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -

Love Suda, will probably buy this.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

Big fan of No More Heroes and this looks like it will hit the same beats.

#5 Posted by Crunchman (382 posts) -

Yes. YES! It's like they know what I want before I know it.

#6 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Looks interesting, still a game i would be scared to play in front of the misses.

I was watching a trailer for catherine and she looked at me like wtf is this sick pervert watching.

#7 Posted by mrangryface (775 posts) -

Will buy

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

What.

#9 Posted by Daveyo520 (6679 posts) -

I love Suda's games and will probably play this eventually too.

#10 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Well. She's a cheerleader so I guess plenty of upskirt is to be expected.

#11 Posted by CyleMoore (494 posts) -

Coool!!! Boobs!

#12 Posted by AllanIceman (1323 posts) -

Can't wait to see what this is about.

#13 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

the sales of shadows of the damned better not affect this...

#14 Posted by DavoTron (150 posts) -

I might as well just give them my bank account details and have done with it.

Although a Suda / Swery collab is what I'm holding out for...

#15 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

We see the panties.

#16 Posted by endaround (2142 posts) -
#17 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -
Man, I hope she gets her hands on Garcia's Boner.
#18 Posted by Hichael (161 posts) -

Juliet Sterling, holy shit Suda you are the best name maker.

#19 Posted by Fyrecroe (29 posts) -

Oneechanbara with chainsaws and cheerleaders.  I like it! 
I wonder what other games would benefit from similar additions... 

#20 Posted by sirdesmond (1235 posts) -

I am entirely okay with this concept.

#21 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

News happens so fast on Giant Bomb now, you guys used to be a bit behind well done Patrick DROPING BOMBS!

#22 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -

SUDA! SUDA! SUDA! 

#23 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Yes.

Yes.

#24 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

From boners to boobs.

Suda, I love your teenage mind.

#25 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Taste my big boner!

#26 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@DRZako said:
Juliet Sterling, holy shit Suda you are the best name maker.
That's pretty good
#27 Posted by LiK (920 posts) -

so bought

#28 Posted by AuthenticM (3710 posts) -

Alright. Sold.

#29 Posted by Sessh (779 posts) -

I'm already really into it.

#30 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5141 posts) -

It's the next logical step after Shadow of the Damned.

#31 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

... Damn it, Suda, just take my money now.

#32 Posted by Legend (2658 posts) -

Sure, why not...

#33 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

PANTIES!

#34 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

I will buy this game if she's on rollerblades.

#35 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

We'll see... we'll see...

#36 Posted by TurkeyFried (21 posts) -

You play as Jim Sterling's sister!?

#37 Posted by Seroth (717 posts) -

1Up reported that the game already has a US and European publisher. Looking forward to this game.

#38 Posted by Chronopolian (18 posts) -

While I´m hyped about this... I´d prefer SUDA 51 focusing on those Moonlight Syndrome´s and Silver Case´s remakes he promised long time ago...

#39 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

What in the world.... oh wait, its Suda 51 at it again.

#40 Posted by MEATBALL (3185 posts) -

Immediate reaction is super positive. However, I hope any similarity to oneechanbara is only skin deep.

#41 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -
@DavoTron: Yes please. I would buy multiple copies of that.
#42 Posted by Doskias (304 posts) -

So, do I make the check out directly to Suda, or...?

#43 Posted by chogi (554 posts) -

Paging Creeper Jeff.

#44 Posted by Gaughan (97 posts) -

Sold! All I needed was the name. 

#45 Posted by artofwar420 (6284 posts) -

@Gaughan:

#46 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

No. This is stupid. Dick-jokes? Fine. That's not so bad. I'm not into it but it doesn't bother me. But low camera angles and panties? Not fine. That crosses a line for me. I say Japan can keep their creepy sexism. I want none of it in my games and I will stay far away from this one.

#47 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

Really glad to see Suda's projects are still being greenlit after shadows' poor performance.

People, stop buying call of duty and madden and need for speed every year, and try something unique.

#48 Posted by Andyman067 (26 posts) -

It's a shame that it's going to be terrible, like every Suda game. I like his creative mind. I hope he learns how to make a game that doesn't completely suck.

#49 Posted by Klaimore (946 posts) -

Aaaaaahhh yeah that hits the spot!

#50 Posted by Zaxex (583 posts) -

@Andyman067 said:

It's a shame that it's going to be terrible, like every Suda game. I like his creative mind. I hope he learns how to make a game that doesn't completely suck.

Shadows of the Damned didn't "completely suck". Best game I've played in a while imo. And my first Suda 51 game, I'm optimistic personally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.