Any gameplay tips you wish you'd known earlier? (no spoilers)

#1 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

In a lot of games, I find there there are little elements of the gameplay mechanics that aren't tied to the plot and readily apparent, but extremely helpful to know. For example, in Dead Space 1, enemies only tend to drop ammo for weapons that you're carrying at the time.

Considering how much of this game is about exploration and figuring things out, I'd imagine that there are a lot of subtleties that can smooth things out, if you know what they are. I don't know if this would count, but one thing I didn't realize until a little while into the game was that when you're wielding a gun, you can hold up or down to aim at the enemy's head or legs. Since you're shooting at an angle, they need to be fairly close, but the shots that do land will respectively do more damage or stagger the enemy. It can be helpful to save a few bullets here and there.

Anyone else have any general tips?

#2 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

Anyone have any advice about how to either kill or avoid enemies? I know that you can use the spoiled meat as bait, but does that have any uses aside from moving them from one side of a hiding spot to the other?

#3 Edited by noobcubed (27 posts) -

I couldn't find the can opener during my first playthrough, which made things a LOT more difficult than it would've been otherwise.

It's in an open room in apartment 205 after getting the handgun, behind you and to the left.

Don't drink milk unless you have some spare healing items. Also, it seems like the effects of cheese 'n' crackers and fruit drops are random, so be careful.

@BBAlpert said:

Anyone have any advice about how to either kill or avoid enemies? I know that you can use the spoiled meat as bait, but does that have any uses aside from moving them from one side of a hiding spot to the other?

Nope, that's all spoiled meat does. It says you can eat it but when you try to "You" refuses to eat it. When killing enemies, shooting them in the chest is usually the safest way; shooting them in the head is faster and saves ammo, but also requires the monsters to get closer to you for it to work.

#4 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

Thanks for the tips!

#5 Edited by Jeust (10863 posts) -

Aim for the head, as the enemies will fall with less shots. And save often, as you'll probably die often.

#6 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

@Jeust: Do you need to worry about food if you save too often? Maybe it's not an issue, but I'd imagine that since time passes every time you sleep/save, frequent saving would burn through your food supply that much faster.

#7 Edited by Jeust (10863 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@Jeust: Do you need to worry about food if you save too often? Maybe it's not an issue, but I'd imagine that since time passes every time you sleep/save, frequent saving would burn through your food supply that much faster.

I think food is mostly used to replenish your hp. As you go down with as much of five hits from the monsters. And i think concerning the hunger, it is time based, in real time, as in each fifteen minutes of real gameplay you get hungry.

#8 Posted by BBAlpert (1583 posts) -

@Jeust: Ahhhhh, that's helpful to know. I was having him eat probably more than necessary on the assumption that his hunger increases while he sleeps.

#9 Posted by iTreefish (63 posts) -
  • Don't waste bullets on thin guys on the ceiling. They're invincible when up there.
  • When taken, blue pills provide a bit of ammo after sleeping. That said, it's best to hold onto them for later...
#10 Posted by Harkat (1122 posts) -
  • The second you think you might be stuck, look at your map and rethink ASAP. Don't wander aimlessly, it'll drain your food supplies.
  • Only use the flashlight when absolutely necessary in the apartments/corridors. The cellar becomes very hard without a lot of batteries.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.