Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings Online

Franchise »

A MMORPG set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth. The Lord of the Rings Online became free to play starting September 10th, 2010 and later that year in Europe.

Lord of the Rings Online: Journal #1

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Edited By sopachuco13

Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online has a good mix of everything I like: LotR, games, RPGs, D&D, and the list goes on. I have been wanting to play and MMO for quite some time, but I have never really found one that really fit me. I have also never really wanted to purchase the game or pay a monthly fee. But, when LOTRO went free to play I decided that I didn't have any excuses anymore; I needed to discover this adventure.

I had a good time picking between the different races and classes for my character: a elvish, hunter and a dwarf, champion. I was able to get some basic information from the Turbine wiki page, this was especially beneficial to me because my only contact with an MMO was the 4 hours I played the DC Universe beta. So, the beginners guides provided on the wiki page were pretty helpful. It doesn't hurt to know some of the backstory to the characters; this is provided in game to a degree, but it is also good to have a foundation in the literature. This is the part of LOTRO that I really find enticing, the filling in of the broader history that created by the original author. The historical quality of this game and its source material is what keep the LotR universe so interesting even today.

I have been playing Borderlands lately and I think that I have finally succumbed to loot whoring. It is difficult to balance my desire to keep clicking and my need to stay filled in on the story of each mission. In Borderlands, it is much easier to take it easy because the controller just seems to be much more relaxing to use. I have never been much of a PC gamer. I have always had Macs, so PC games have never been that important to me. When I use my computer, I am always using the internet. I don't use the internet in a tactical way. I am constantly moving when I am on the internet. Playing LOTRO feels like I am navigating the internet. I am constantly moving and constantly clicking.

The game is really good looking. I don't even want to put in any caveats. I think that the game skates the divide between realism and animation quite well. The characters look pretty interesting and they feel like they could be real. I think that the LotR in my mind is less realistic than the Peter Jackson stuff, but more realistic than the old European animations. I am looking forward the seeing some of the later level content. I would like to see what Mordor looks like and I would like to get a chance to go to an Elvish city.

I have a lot of games to play and I would like to continue playing LOTRO. I am not going to push myself to stay with the game. Like I said before, I have no monetary investment in the game. I guess if there is another blog update soon then that will mean the game has had its hooks in me.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sopachuco13

Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online has a good mix of everything I like: LotR, games, RPGs, D&D, and the list goes on. I have been wanting to play and MMO for quite some time, but I have never really found one that really fit me. I have also never really wanted to purchase the game or pay a monthly fee. But, when LOTRO went free to play I decided that I didn't have any excuses anymore; I needed to discover this adventure.

I had a good time picking between the different races and classes for my character: a elvish, hunter and a dwarf, champion. I was able to get some basic information from the Turbine wiki page, this was especially beneficial to me because my only contact with an MMO was the 4 hours I played the DC Universe beta. So, the beginners guides provided on the wiki page were pretty helpful. It doesn't hurt to know some of the backstory to the characters; this is provided in game to a degree, but it is also good to have a foundation in the literature. This is the part of LOTRO that I really find enticing, the filling in of the broader history that created by the original author. The historical quality of this game and its source material is what keep the LotR universe so interesting even today.

I have been playing Borderlands lately and I think that I have finally succumbed to loot whoring. It is difficult to balance my desire to keep clicking and my need to stay filled in on the story of each mission. In Borderlands, it is much easier to take it easy because the controller just seems to be much more relaxing to use. I have never been much of a PC gamer. I have always had Macs, so PC games have never been that important to me. When I use my computer, I am always using the internet. I don't use the internet in a tactical way. I am constantly moving when I am on the internet. Playing LOTRO feels like I am navigating the internet. I am constantly moving and constantly clicking.

The game is really good looking. I don't even want to put in any caveats. I think that the game skates the divide between realism and animation quite well. The characters look pretty interesting and they feel like they could be real. I think that the LotR in my mind is less realistic than the Peter Jackson stuff, but more realistic than the old European animations. I am looking forward the seeing some of the later level content. I would like to see what Mordor looks like and I would like to get a chance to go to an Elvish city.

I have a lot of games to play and I would like to continue playing LOTRO. I am not going to push myself to stay with the game. Like I said before, I have no monetary investment in the game. I guess if there is another blog update soon then that will mean the game has had its hooks in me.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rattle618

You`ll have a blast getting up to lvl 20ish only to find out there is nothing else to do unless you start buying stuff from the cash store, that`s what happened to me anyways.

Tapkoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Tapkoh

You can reach level 30 or slightly higher within the four free regions. Even then, if you do deeds (which I will grant you are mostly boring grinding) in each region available to you just with one character, you'll have more than enough Turbine Points to purchase a quest pack without having to spend real money. That is, if you continue playing.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sopachuco13

I suppose that if I end up getting to level 20 or 30 I won't mind paying a little bit of money to Turbine. Just like with Giant Bomb, if I like the content I don't mind paying for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.