Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lords of the Fallen

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 28, 2014

A fantasy action-RPG developed by CI Games and Deck 13 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The protagonist, convicted and ostracized for his crimes by a draconian society, is called upon to stop an army of demons commanded by a god who was long ago overthrown.

How is the performance on PS4?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey, I watched the quick look and the guys showed the PC and XBOX versions, can anyone share their experience with the PS4 version compared to those two? My PC is not capable of playing the game so PS4 is the only way to go for me (I don't have an XBOX), but the XBOX one didn't look so hot. Thanks.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It's about the same, a bit framey. I wouldn't say it's been Dark Souls bad yet for me but there are definite drops. Pre-patch it has terrible tearing but the patch definitely improved performance a lot. That said I'm really enjoying it so far and I think this will definitely hold me over until Bloodbourne. I never felt fully engaged in DkSII and this seems to be holding my attention a lil better, even if the core mechanics and enemies are a little less challenging.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mustainium

It's not Blighttown, but it's certainly far from stable.

If you played DkS on console, it shouldn't take long to get used to.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Man, it fucking depresses me to see that there are games that are already having trouble sticking to a solid 30... Like, that should be the priority -- fuck the resolution or whatever. But as always graphics > performance as far as most developers seemed to be concerned, so...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@yummylee said:

Man, it fucking depresses me to see that there are games that are already having trouble sticking to a solid 30... Like, that should be the priority -- fuck the resolution or whatever. But as always graphics > performance as far as most developers seemed to be concerned, so...

This is what we get for buying affordable consoles instead of dropping several grand for high end PCs.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

This is what we get for buying affordable consoles instead of dropping several grand for high end PCs.

If Phantom Pain will actually manage to keep to a steady 50-60, then that'll at least prove that this sub-30 BS is on the developers and not necessarily the console.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@yummylee: I got faith in KojiPro. If they say 1080P 60FPS, I believe them. Because if we know anything, it's that Kojima is trustworthy.

Then again, there's still last gen versions of that game coming, so maybe it's not really as advanced and pushing the hardware like we think it is.

Then again again, I read that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain on PC will support 4K resolutions, so maybe they're just madmen there. MADMEN!

Still wish I had the money for a good PC, though.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee:

To be honest, it doesn't even look that great, technically speaking. Nowhere near good enough to warrant framerate issues.

Still a solid game though, I just wish it actually ran well!

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@yummylee: YA but MGS games are a whole different animal MGS 4 is still one of the best looking last Gen games and that came out in 2008. no doubt in my mind MGS will be 60fps and look amazing.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wish developers would just give us a proper options menu for the console versions. I would GLADLY play a game at 720p if it means a higher framerate. Why is this STILL such a big sticking point for developers?

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FajitaBoss

any breh with the xbone version, how is the frame rate holding ?

dvandort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have expirienced a lot of screen tearing on the ps4 version. Also bizarrely enough, this game is giving me motion sickness. Which is something I have never felt from a game before.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dvandort: Huh weird. I also felt a bit of motion sickness when Vinny switched over the XBox version in the Quick Look. I think it's the way the camera wobbles whenever a hit connects.

dvandort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dvandort

@thunderslash: You are right. I remember thinking that the camera was pretty wobbly. I hope I get used to it otherwise it will take forever to finish it.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By flakmunkey

I feel like a "render at 1080/720" switch would be a nice option in console games. I don't see why console games can't have that functionality, especially if the devs know that the performance will take a hit at the "target" resolution. Something like this would allow devs to keep their precious "it's 1080 peees!" tagline while allowing people who care more about framerate to have a more enjoyable experience. That said I'm not even sure if this game even is hitting a 1080 render, though I'm sure Google can tell me.

*edit* par for the course, 1080 on PS4 and 900 on XONE

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BelowStupid

@yummylee: It is completely on developers, for my money shadow of mordor looks better than lords and it's frame rate is pretty damn steady. Lords looks more detailed overall but not to the point to hit frame rate that hard. Plus non of the games Deck 13 or CI Games have put out were good in terms of bleeding edge tech.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BelowStupid
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this, system wars?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

What is this, system wars?

Ha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@yummylee said:

The consoles are still relatively new; it will take time for developers to develop more efficient code that leads to more stable framerates. What should really bother you is that developers are still shooting for 30 FPS rather than 60; it's sad.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@yummylee: blame the devs not the hardware...

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep you are right, guys, I bought the game and it runs really poorly. It is really poorly optimized and as said above, it does not look all that good technically - at least the artistic side is keeping my eyes interested. It runs straight up shitty basically all the time, there is a lot of texture pop-in, every time you cast a spell the framerate just takes a huuuuge dive. My guess would be they just have run out of time and shipped it. Still an ok game though.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: Your experiences sound a bit worse than mine. You installed the patch right?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quipido

@flakmunkey: Yes, I did install the patch that was bigger than the game itself. I did not notice any tearing some of you mentioned. I have a hybrid drive installed too, so that should make things a bit better (at least the pop-in??), but I honestly can not describe the performance with more fitting word than "shitty". I mean yesterday I was figting a boss and it looked like a PC game with details turned down - some of the bosse's spell effects just felt like they are completely missing. Looked weird, I don't know. Poor.

EDIT: Also I had a bug where the voice acting completely dissapears, for all characters and even reloading the game did not help - I had to close the game entirely and boot it back up. This happened to me three separate times in about 6 hours so far. This game is not polished at all.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing on PS4. The frame rate isn't great but it's not unplayable. There have been a few times that it got pretty chunky. I'm not going to pretend I know what the frame rate was, but if 30-40 is where it is usually then I definitely hit 15-20 in spots, but only for a short time. Over all, it's disappointing that it's not maintaining a higher rate but it hasn't hurt the game too much for me.

I've hit a couple of bugs but nothing game too breaking. While fighting the same boss the QL ended on, I had him down and was going to kill him when I got stuck on something. Just couldn't walk. Couldn't roll off. The boss was stunned, would have been dead, but I was stuck. He got up, strolled over and murdered me, then just walked around my body for a while. I had to exit the game and restart.

I prefer the "Alternate" control setup, but unfortunately you lose the ability to quick-switch favorite weapons. It really sucks that they didn't find a way to make that work out better. It's not a big deal, but it'd be great to be able to quickly switch from a fast weapon to a heavy one on the fly. I just don't like the default setup.

One other complaint. I friggin' hate the "dirty camera" thing. The lighting is great in this game, and I dig how the sun can get in your eyes (it'd be cool if you could use this against enemies as well, putting your back to the sun) but there is this effect of a dirty camera lens or something that I find distracting and unnecessary.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By development

@r3beld0gg said:

One other complaint. I friggin' hate the "dirty camera" thing. The lighting is great in this game, and I dig how the sun can get in your eyes (it'd be cool if you could use this against enemies as well, putting your back to the sun) but there is this effect of a dirty camera lens or something that I find distracting and unnecessary.

I finished the game and I never got used to that. It washes out the entire image... and a lot of the time, too. Most of your time outdoors is spent getting blasted in the face by either camera smudges or totally washed out sun effects that obstruct Harkyn completely. It they could have lessened the smudges and severely reduced the saturation effect of the sun I'd have been much happier.

But to clarify, I loved this game. Not feeling NG+, but will probably start a new character.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Still way to early to be thinking about NG+ for me, but I considered starting a second character now as a rogue instead of warrior, to see if I liked it better. My understanding with NG+ and NG++ in this game is that you keep your stats and equipment and unlock the next classes magic tree as well. So by NG++ you are basically all three classes... I guess? Sounds cool, but I'm not sure I want a harder version of this game lol. That's why got this and never touched Dark Souls. All of the Souls fanboys blasting this game for not being enough like Souls basically sold me on this game. :) Although... after playing this I think I may buy Bloodborne after all.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quarters

I definitely think the issues have more to do with the developer than the console. I mean, just one look at stuff like inFamous and Killzone show that the PS4 can crank out some fantastic graphics at rock solid framerates. I'm assuming the X1 is the same way, though I don't have one, so I can't really speak to it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

I definitely think the issues have more to do with the developer than the console. I mean, just one look at stuff like inFamous and Killzone show that the PS4 can crank out some fantastic graphics at rock solid framerates. I'm assuming the X1 is the same way, though I don't have one, so I can't really speak to it.

Well yeah, that is the difference between developing a single and a multi-platform games. More hardware takes more time/money to end up with a satisfactory results. It's not impossible, but they needed to push the game out before Bloodborne hits. After all it is a "cheap knock-off" so we should not be surprised. I realise I sound like a case of buyers-remorsis, but nah, I am still enjoying the game, it just could have been so much better if they took the time. There is no doubt the current consoles could have handeled it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colourful_hippie

@yummylee said:

Poor optimization plays a role too in here. The game seems to be running bad on every platform including PC unless you have a super high end machine that can brute force through most of the problems

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

$1k would probably do a great job at building a PC more capable than the "current" gen consoles.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mooseymcman said:

@yummylee said:

$1k would probably do a great job at building a PC more capable than the "current" gen consoles.

It's also twice the price.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazybagman said:

@mooseymcman said:

@yummylee said:

I said 1k, because he implied it would take "several grand". Good job following the conversation.

r3beld0gg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By r3beld0gg

@yothatlimp said:

@crazybagman said:

@mooseymcman said:

@yummylee said:

I said 1k, because he implied it would take "several grand". Good job following the conversation.

His point still stands, as does the first guys. No reason to be snotty. You could easily build a gaming setup that costs several thousands of dollars or more, especially if you require monitors and sound, etc. You could also, perhaps, upgrade your current system for around the cost of a console, more or less. I have a capable enough PC, but I will always prefer to game on my console.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wondering if the console performance of the game is still poor? Have they released any patches to improve it? PS4 or Xbox One.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.