Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lords of the Fallen

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 28, 2014

A fantasy action-RPG developed by CI Games and Deck 13 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The protagonist, convicted and ostracized for his crimes by a draconian society, is called upon to stop an army of demons commanded by a god who was long ago overthrown.

Stuttering with 4690k and gtx970

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Is this just how the game runs for people? It generally runs above 60FPS on very high with turbulence turned off, and physx set to run on the CPU, but I get consistent drops below 55 every few seconds, sometimes down in the 40s. Almost always gappens when an enemy is attacking. Is there anything I can do to combat this? Or do I have to deal with it?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

PhysX should be running off of your GPU, never your CPU.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I was getting more severe fps problems with it on the GPU. This was one of the suggested solutions elsewhere.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike

@melvargh said:

@mb: I was getting more severe fps problems with it on the GPU. This was one of the suggested solutions elsewhere.

Then try turning PhysX off. It really should not be run on the CPU, PhysX is in an Nvidia GPU thing.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By peacebrother

@mb: OK. When I get home I'll try that. Is anyone else having issues like mine? I figure my setup should be able to handle this. I get fps up to 90 sometimes, but when guys start attacking it drops sometimes.

Edit: actually I was peaking around in the settings INI and apex_gpu_support_enabled was already set to false. Is this the physx setting?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

@melvargh said:

@mb: OK. When I get home I'll try that. Is anyone else having issues like mine? I figure my setup should be able to handle this. I get fps up to 90 sometimes, but when guys start attacking it drops sometimes.

Try looking at your CPU utilization when your FPS drops. If you see a CPU spike in conjunction with the frame rate drops when enemies attack, it's the PhysX. Should be pretty easy to determine what is causing the drops if you do some basic troubleshooting.

I recommend CoreTemp with the Grapher plugin beta.

No Caption Provided

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: OK cool. I'll check that out later. Thanks.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By peacebrother

The GPU usage is dropping to 50-70% when the CPU is peaking at 100%. It tends to peak as an enemy sees me and starts fighting, but then the rest of the fight goes relatively smooth. Physx is off though. Outside of those moments the GPU is running at 99%.

There was a weird minute or so where the CPU usage wasn't at 100% but I was getting like 70% GPU usage. This is happening in Far Cry 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Lords of the Fallen, though I only tested Lords, I was just able to see the hitching in DA:I last night. Does my CPU need an overclock? It's running stock at 3.5GHz turbo to 3.8.

EDIT: Just tested Dragon Age. Running around in a city, the CPU never hits 100%, but I'm getting random drops to 0% GPU usage, and it's causing the stutter. I'm seeing the power drop as well, is the GPU throttling itself for some reason? It's sitting at around 61-64C.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike

Definitely do not overclock your CPU yet, that isn't the problem. Your CPU usage should not be anywhere near 100% for any length of time with any of the games you have mentioned, something else is going on. Check background processes, antivirus, things like that.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By peacebrother

Nothing else is using the CPU as far as I can see. I'm testing in DA:I right now, and just standing totally still, every <10 seconds the FPS drops to 40 and goes back up to 60. I'm not seeing a lot of dips in the usage during these drops, but usage is also sitting at 75% with CPU usage at 67%. There were about 6-7 major dips to 0% GPU usage spaced perfectly apart (about 10-15 seconds) without a spike in CPU usage.

EDIT: I'm seeing the drops to near-0% GPU every time now, spaced about 10-15 seconds apart. No change in CPU.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, man. If this were my machine I would start looking into motherboard BIOS updates, driver updates, memory testing, things like that. It could be any number of things but I think you'll need to do some troubleshooting on your own to start narrowing down the problem.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Yeah, i'm taking the afternoon :)

Thanks for the help though

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By peacebrother

So I'm back, I fixed the issues with the dropping to 0% GPU usage (power related, PCI-E power cable was somehow loose), but I'm still having some issues in LotF. I'm running a fresh install of windows with nothing but Afterburner, Steam/Origin/Uplay, and Lords Of The Fallen installed. Lords is eating up a huge amount of my CPU with nothing else running (usually above 70-80% usage), and it's still hitting 100% peaks in combat causing the drops in FPS. Does this game normally eat up CPU? I have physx off.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

John Bain (TotalBiscit) was saying that he had a similar issue with his dual 980s (when he was trying to make his WTF video). That's a real bummer.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't wanna open another whole can of worms, but if you are mostly having issues with Lords of the Fallen and DA:I, it might be because of the new DRM those games are using.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By geirr

Lords of the Fallen seems to be severely gimped not only by its shoddy programming but also by it's copy protection. The developers, while seemingly nice people, really messed their game up. Shame since it showed amazing potential. I've emailed back and forth with their support people and they don't have a clue what to do if the game doesn't run fine when you set Physx to CPU and turn turbulence off. Which is ridiculous!

Try other games is my advice - only 3 games so far that I know of use Denuvo anti-circumvention so avoid them like the plague, or try and get along with the stuttering.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@melvargh said:

So I'm back, I fixed the issues with the dropping to 0% GPU usage (power related, PCI-E power cable was somehow loose), but I'm still having some issues in LotF. I'm running a fresh install of windows with nothing but Afterburner, Steam/Origin/Uplay, and Lords Of The Fallen installed. Lords is eating up a huge amount of my CPU with nothing else running (usually above 70-80% usage), and it's still hitting 100% peaks in combat causing the drops in FPS. Does this game normally eat up CPU? I have physx off.

I think you can point the finger at the game now if you have fixed your other issues, I have heard of some really bad optimization issues with LOTF, sucks dude hopefully it gets patched.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Corevi

@geirr: Denuvo is also used in Dragon Age: Inquisition and I haven't had any technical problems with that (I have a 4690k and a 970 as well). Haven't tried Lords of the Fallen due to me not caring about Dark Souls so I have no desire to play a knockoff of it.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By peacebrother

Yeah, I don't seem to have any issues with DA:I now, and benchmarks like Firestrike run perfectly (full GPU usage). I guess it is what it is with LotF. Pretty ok game though, as someone who's favourite game is Dark Souls it comes nowhere near it, but it can be pretty fun.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@corevi said:

@geirr: Denuvo is also used in Dragon Age: Inquisition and I haven't had any technical problems with that (I have a 4690k and a 970 as well). Haven't tried Lords of the Fallen due to me not caring about Dark Souls so I have no desire to play a knockoff of it.

In that case maybe EA, or rather Bioware knows how to program around it. The LotF guys said during a livestream that they were aware that Denuvo on its own takes between 1-5% of CPU when its doing its evil, but that's okay since maybe their game won't be stolen for a while? Not sure how they justified it.

As for not playing LotF, it's so close to being a good Dark Souls-like which makes it extra frustrating. Just so close to being something to relieve the itch until Bloodborne or Super Turbo Dark Souls 2 Hyper Edition EXT α.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov

Dude it is just Lords of the Fallen, that game is optimized for crap. Look around on the net, tons of people with 970's and 980's have these problems with it. Also as an aside the only fix I could find to make it perform well at all was in fact making my CPU do the physx, which is stupid, but it worked and I don't argue with results. DA:I though? Well during canned cut scenes the frames do get hammered down to 30 for some reason with some loss here and there.... but during actual gameplay I never dip below 55 (that is rare itself) and I am on an older CPU than you running at a lower clock. Still have the 970 though.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@melvargh: I tend to think it's the game's optimization as well. I have a GTX 680 and a decently fast processor and the game is pretty rough in the framerate department.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The game just is badly optimized, end of story. Even on low settings with everything off you will see dips. Just mess with the settings until you are satisfied.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.