Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Odyssey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 12, 2008

Lost Odyssey tells the epic journey of Kaim, a 1000 year old immortal with no memory of his past. He soon discovers there are other immortals as a conspiracy begins to unravel.

For those of you who love this game

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nasar7

As a preface I'd like to say that RPGs are my favorite genre, been playing them since the SNES. There haven't really been that many RPGs this gen, especially around the time Lost Odyssey came out so, since the reviews were good, I picked up a copy. I breezed through the first disc probably bc I was so RPG deprived but part way into disc 2 I just stopped playing. To me the game seems ok, but nothing to write home about. Do people like it because it really is that good or because there's not really much to compare it to?

So my question is, and I'm not trying to be a troll here, for those of you who really like this game could you share your reasons why? I just want to hear your thoughts on it.  
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By destruktive

I really like this game due to the fact that it gives me that old-time feeling of turn based combat.
    Like it used to be in FF IX -->

I also enjoyed the story and voice acting (japanese, not english).

billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By billcosby2004
    @Nasar7:
    I liked it a lot more than it sounds like you did but I also stopped right at the start of disc 4.  I was still having fun with it and I definitely will go back to finish it up, but a ton of games hit right around the time I was playing it (namely SF4, Killzone 2, RE5).  It's as old fashioned as they come gameplay-wise, but that's what they were going for. 

I felt they should've shortened up the main storyline and made the 1000 year dreams segments into playable flashbacks, even if they weren't combat heavy.  Putting the focus on Kaim's never-ending existence and pretty interesting premise to the game would've made this nearly perfect imo.  That would've made it really unique, instead of the standard 'evil-all powerful villain wants to gain control of the world and we're gonna grind and level up until we can beat you' sort of thing that we've seen a million times before
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lucas_kelly

I loved everything about it. The Story, the characters, the graphics, the old school game play, the voice acting. And as destruktive said, it was nostalgic.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By demonbear

My favorite rpg from the SNES days was FF 6. That game had such a great story, great cast, Memorable music and one sick motherfucker for a villain­.

Now Lost Odyssey is basically done by 2 of the most important FF6 people : Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu.

And it really shows. The story is well written, the characters are great, and even the comic relief is actually funny. The music is varied and adds a nice touch to the game. Gameplay wise its pretty classic but there are some nice touches here and there.

I have to say, so far, Lost Odyssey is the best classic rpg on the 360 for sure.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By cinemandrew
    @Nasar7 said:
    " As a preface I'd like to say that RPGs are my favorite genre, been playing them since the SNES. There haven't really been that many RPGs this gen, especially around the time Lost Odyssey came out so, since the reviews were good, I picked up a copy. I breezed through the first disc probably bc I was so RPG deprived but part way into disc 2 I just stopped playing. To me the game seems ok, but nothing to write home about. Do people like it because it really is that good or because there's not really much to compare it to?

So my question is, and I'm not trying to be a troll here, for those of you who really like this game could you share your reasons why? I just want to hear your thoughts on it.  
    "
    I felt kinda the same way. I bought a copy for the same reasons too. I stopped for a while on the second disk, then went back and now I'm stopped again on disk 3. I just kinda got bored with it. I think it's a good game, maybe even great, but it's just not quite right for me.
    cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cdstacker

I liked everything up to the last disc. I hadn't played a Jrpg in such a long time I was actually really enjoying the change of pace and dug the focus on the linear story, the open world stuff at the end was actually what i hated (and i love open worlds and player choice in my games) because i felt like the game lost all urgency, suddenly the end of the world didn't really matter because I could just fly around and do anything. I guess it just shows that having an open world is only fun when you actual polish that aspect of the game.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @cdstacker said:
    " I liked everything up to the last disc. I hadn't played a Jrpg in such a long time I was actually really enjoying the change of pace and dug the focus on the linear story, the open world stuff at the end was actually what i hated (and i love open worlds and player choice in my games) because i felt like the game lost all urgency, suddenly the end of the world didn't really matter because I could just fly around and do anything. I guess it just shows that having an open world is only fun when you actual polish that aspect of the game. "
    Thats true, but nevertheless removing the open world gameplay would have taken away many game hours and side quests.
    slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slinky6

The premise of lost odyssey sounds cool when you hear it.   Not many games have dealt with the issues immortality would present.   But then you play it and it's just your average JRPG storyline with tacked on bits of reading that are more compelling than anything in the actual game. 

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suneku

I enjoyed the old school turn based gameplay, also enjoyed the story throughout the game because of the character developments. I also really loved the music, especially since it was Nobuo Uematsu doing the composing.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Sick_J0ke

Pros:
    - Old school turn based gameplay

- Ring system engages you in the battles
    - You can have up to 5 characters in battle
    - Skill link system is fun and useful
    - Lots of sidequests
    - Great voice acting

Cons:
    - Game is too long and repetetive
    - The game has alot of framerate drops during cool cutscenes and battles
    - Plot is pretty boring for the most part, nothing jaw dropping and every plot twist can be seen from a mile away
    - Although the first two discs of the game rely on skill to defeat enemies, the last two discs rely more on brute force, you have to level up your characters by spending hours upon hours doing tedious random encounters in order to beat the last few bosses until you're strong enough to take them on.
    - Some of the sidequests are harder than the mainquests which defeats the purpose of a sidequest for leveling up purposes. 

Overall it's a good RPG for the 360 but doesn't really go up there in the list of all time greatest RPGs. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Sick_J0ke said:
    " Pros:
    - Lots of sidequests
    - Great voice acting

Cons:
    - Plot is pretty boring for the most part, nothing jaw dropping and every plot twist can be seen from a mile away
    - Although the first two discs of the game rely on skill to defeat enemies, the last two discs rely more on brute force, you have to level up your characters by spending hours upon hours doing tedious random encounters in order to beat the last few bosses until you're strong enough to take them on.
    - Some of the sidequests are harder than the mainquests which defeats the purpose of a sidequest for leveling up purposes. 

Overall it's a good RPG for the 360 but doesn't really go up there in the list of all time greatest RPGs. 
    "
    Pretty much agreed. Except I didn't find it to be too repetitive. All RPGs require a lot of battles and such so just comparing with other RPGs it wasn't too bad on repetitiveness in my opinion.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Sick_J0ke said:
    " Pros:
    - Lots of sidequests
    - Great voice acting

Cons:

"

I didn't encounter any of the cons you mentioned. It never felt too long, maybe a little repetitive, but thats JRPG's for you. I had very little framerate drops, maybe once or twice during the entire game and defiantly not during cutscenes. Even though the plot was predictable, its presentation and characters made me want to continue and find out more. In almost every side quest you get an item for completing it, its these items that make you more powerful, not unnecessarily the leveling up involved.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By atejas

It was great for the first two discs, mediocre for the third, and outright bad for the fourth.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By CharleyTony

Like every J-RPG there are fun parts and slow parts. Keep playing and you'll get back into something good. Lost Odyssey reminds me a little of FF4 and FF6, its not as good as those, simply because those are the best RPGs ever along with Chrono Trigger.
    The game does have a lot of recycled ideas that you might have fond in other games from Sakaguchi but not in a bad way. (2 kids remind me of Palom & Porom)

A couple of time I did leave the game alone for a month because I was in one of the slower parts but every time I came back I found that I was just about 30 minutes away from returning to a really great part of it.

Nothing like Blue Dragon where, according to some, you have to wait about 5 hours before it "starts" to become moderately interestinIn my Opinion, Lost Odyssey is the best traditional J-RPG of 2008. If you dont like it , it may mean you switched to western RPGs or that you sufer from RPG fatigue...

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nasar7
    @destruktive said:
    " I really like this game due to the fact that it gives me that old-time feeling of turn based combat. Like it used to be in FF IX -->I also enjoyed the story and voice acting (japanese, not english). "
    I love the traditional elements of RPGs too, but for some reason this game just didn't do it for me.
    @billcosby2004 said:
    " @Nasar7: I liked it a lot more than it sounds like you did but I also stopped right at the start of disc 4.  I was still having fun with it and I definitely will go back to finish it up, but a ton of games hit right around the time I was playing it (namely SF4, Killzone 2, RE5).  It's as old fashioned as they come gameplay-wise, but that's what they were going for.  I felt they should've shortened up the main storyline and made the 1000 year dreams segments into playable flashbacks, even if they weren't combat heavy.  Putting the focus on Kaim's never-ending existence and pretty interesting premise to the game would've made this nearly perfect imo.  That would've made it really unique, instead of the standard 'evil-all powerful villain wants to gain control of the world and we're gonna grind and level up until we can beat you' sort of thing that we've seen a million times before "
    I agree, the Dreams are the best part of the game, makes you wish they were interactive. The story had so much promise at the start, but I don't feel like they ultimately pulled it off.

@demonbear said:
    " My favorite rpg from the SNES days was FF 6. That game had such a great story, great cast, Memorable music and one sick motherfucker for a villain­.

Now Lost Odyssey is basically done by 2 of the most important FF6 people : Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu.And it really shows. The story is well written, the characters are great, and even the comic relief is actually funny. The music is varied and adds a nice touch to the game. Gameplay wise its pretty classic but there are some nice touches here and there. I have to say, so far, Lost Odyssey is the best classic rpg on the 360 for sure. "
    Funny that you say that. The entire time I was playing it most recently, I couldn't help thinking how much I'd rather be playing FF VI or such xD It's a much, much better game. I find the characters and story boring, but that's just my take.

@cdstacker said: 
    " I liked everything up to the last disc. I hadn't played a Jrpg in such a long time I was actually really enjoying the change of pace and dug the focus on the linear story, the open world stuff at the end was actually what i hated (and i love open worlds and player choice in my games) because i felt like the game lost all urgency, suddenly the end of the world didn't really matter because I could just fly around and do anything. I guess it just shows that having an open world is only fun when you actual polish that aspect of the game. "
    I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet, but it doesn't sound surprising. In most FF's, there is usually a point at which you gain complete access to the world and you can choose to go around completing all the sidequests instead of following the story. These are usually very fun for me, but for some reason I can believe that this game might get it wrong somehow. I think this game has a problem with creating/maintaining urgency, as I say in my blog post. 

@slinky6 said:
    " The premise of lost odyssey sounds cool when you hear it.   Not many games have dealt with the issues immortality would present.   But then you play it and it's just your average JRPG storyline with tacked on bits of reading that are more compelling than anything in the actual game.  "
    Agree completely. 

@suneku said:
    " I enjoyed the old school turn based gameplay, also enjoyed the story throughout the game because of the character developments. I also really loved the music, especially since it was Nobuo Uematsu doing the composing. "
    Did he do the score? That's a shame, imo it's his weakest score ever, by far.

@Sick_J0ke said:
    " Pros:
    - Lots of sidequests
    - Great voice acting

Cons:

"
    I think you've got it just about nailed down, the only thing I would change is "5 characters in battle." That's a definite con for me, not a pro. Battles in this game just take way too long. See my blog/rant for more on that. Also, even though its subjective, I would put down "has no soul" on the con side.

@CharleyTony said:
    " Like every J-RPG there are fun parts and slow parts. Keep playing and you'll get back into something good. Lost Odyssey reminds me a little of FF4 and FF6, its not as good as those, simply because those are the best RPGs ever along with Chrono Trigger.The game does have a lot of recycled ideas that you might have fond in other games from Sakaguchi but not in a bad way. (2 kids remind me of Palom & Porom)A couple of time I did leave the game alone for a month because I was in one of the slower parts but every time I came back I found that I was just about 30 minutes away from returning to a really great part of it.Nothing like Blue Dragon where, according to some, you have to wait about 5 hours before it "starts" to become moderately interestinIn my Opinion, Lost Odyssey is the best traditional J-RPG of 2008. If you dont like it , it may mean you switched to western RPGs or that you sufer from RPG fatigue... "
    LO reminds me of FF IV and VI only in an "I wish I were playing those games over instead" kind of way lol. I don't think I'm suffering from RPG fatigue. I enjoy WRPGs too, but JRPGs will always be my first love. The last two JRPGs I played were SMT: P3/P4, which were both awesome. I don't know, LO is an ok game but it just doesn't seem to click with me.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Atlas

I got to the end of disc three and could take no more. I liked the world, I liked the characters, and for a while I liked the gameplay. But it just so boring and monotonous, even by JRPG standards, and I just physically couldn't bring myself to play anymore.

The last two JRPG's I played couldn't be any more different. Eternal Sonata was joyous to play; gorgeous visuals, fun characters, and really good gameplay. Lost Odyssey had the potential to be as good as Eternal Sonata, but it had too many glaring faults.

So, OP, I'm in complete agreement about the things you don't like.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By maxszy
    @Nasar7 said:
    " As a preface I'd like to say that RPGs are my favorite genre, been playing them since the SNES. There haven't really been that many RPGs this gen, especially around the time Lost Odyssey came out so, since the reviews were good, I picked up a copy. I breezed through the first disc probably bc I was so RPG deprived but part way into disc 2 I just stopped playing. To me the game seems ok, but nothing to write home about. Do people like it because it really is that good or because there's not really much to compare it to?

"
    I loved it because of the music, story and the characters. I am not much of a JRPG fan so the gameplay wasn't that exciting for me but the music, characters and the story really kept me going. I think it is an example of some of the best music in a game. That opening cinematic with the music was just incredible to me. I felt the story was just a truly epic adventure. And man, the extra "Dream" stories were just fucking gripping. Some people could discount those easily because you did have to read text on the screen but I loved them. They complimented the overall story very well I though. The characters then were very good as well. Fleshed out and had personality.

For those reasons alone I went through the game. Even though JRPG's are not quite my cup of tea.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nasar7
    @Maxszy: I find it interesting that enjoyed the game but aren't a fan of JRPGs. Do this mean you prefer WRPGs or are you just not a fan of the genre? If I were going to recommend an RPG to someone who doesn't generally play them, it wouldn't be this game, yet you were able to enjoy it. Have you tried to play some of the "great" RPGs of the past? If so, what is it that you didn't like about those games and how was LO different?
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nasar7
    @Atlas: I've been meaning to play Eternal Sonata for some time now. Here's hoping I like it better than Lost Odyssey ;) btw, did you read my blog update? It sounds like you are responding to some things I said there here.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Fallen189
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @Atlas: I've been meaning to play Eternal Sonata for some time now. Here's hoping I like it better than Lost Odyssey ;) btw, did you read my blog update? It sounds like you are responding to some things I said there here. "
    LO is the better game my friend ;)

Sonata is still good, but it seems really forgettable. I was just spacing out in the cutscenes.
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Atlas
    @Fallen189:

A better game? I mean objectively, Eternal Sonata received pretty much the same critical reception, so this is obviously a very subjective issue. Subjectively I enjoyed playing Eternal Sonata a lot more than I enjoyed playing Lost Odyssey. In fact Eternal Sonata spawned what will probably be a lifelong love of Chopin. The idea of "spacing out" during the cutscenes makes me feel bad inside, and I would describe that game as anything but forgettable. But again, that's subjectively.
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Atlas
    @Nasar7: I only briefly read your blog, not the whole thing, and did noticed some things that we agree on. I think most people identify the same flaws with that game, so I don't think we're alone in that regard.

If you didn't like Lost Odyssey, like RPG's and can appreciate anime and slightly childlike overtones, you could well love Eternal Sonata. I certainly did.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maxszy
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @Maxszy: I find it interesting that enjoyed the game but aren't a fan of JRPGs. Do this mean you prefer WRPGs or are you just not a fan of the genre? If I were going to recommend an RPG to someone who doesn't generally play them, it wouldn't be this game, yet you were able to enjoy it. Have you tried to play some of the "great" RPGs of the past? If so, what is it that you didn't like about those games and how was LO different? "
    Oh I am an RPG whore I just don't really like turn based RPGs that much. RPG is my favorite genre and the thing I care most about them is a story. Most people don't I realize that so when an RPG comes with a good story, I'll play it no matter what probably.

Never played many JRPGs of the past, so maybe that's part of my issue. Played all the Baldur's Gate games, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo, Diablo 2, KOTOR 1&2, etc. So, essentially WRPGs I guess you could classify my interest mainly as. Though I do like the art style of JRPGs its just the turn based that doesn't really fit me. A little too slow for my taste. Though LO's great story and such was enough to get me going through it.
    exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By exfate

This is not only one of the best RPGs I've ever played but one of the best games I've ever played. The only weak point is the plot which gets progressively weaker despite starting out with an excellent premise. It has some of the most expressive characters I think I've ever seen in an RPG, there is a lot of attention to detail in terms of subtle facial animations. In my opinion there is no better English language voice over of a Japanese game. The soundtrack is ridiculously amazing, perhaps the most memorable I've ever heard. The 1000 Years of Dreams stories are excellent, well written and well translated - they are extremely emotional and add an extra layer of depth to the idea of immortality. The art is fantastic - choosing Takehiko Inoue as the character designer was a great decision because of how well his more serious manga style translated into 3d, resulting in a subtly distinctive style. The gameplay is solid, it isn't revolutionary, but it does manage to keep you engaged with the ring system.

I think the game is more than the sum of its parts. It really came together for me as an extremely memorable experience in a way that so few games do.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @exfate said:
    " This is not only one of the best RPGs I've ever played but one of the best games I've ever played. The only weak point is the plot which gets progressively weaker despite starting out with an excellent premise. It has some of the most expressive characters I think I've ever seen in an RPG, there is a lot of attention to detail in terms of subtle facial animations. In my opinion there is no better English language voice over of a Japanese game. The soundtrack is ridiculously amazing, perhaps the most memorable I've ever heard. The 1000 Years of Dreams stories are excellent, well written and well translated - they are extremely emotional and add an extra layer of depth to the idea of immortality. The art is fantastic - choosing Takehiko Inoue as the character designer was a great decision because of how well his more serious manga style translated into 3d, resulting in a subtly distinctive style. The gameplay is solid, it isn't revolutionary, but it does manage to keep you engaged with the ring system.I think the game is more than the sum of its parts. It really came together for me as an extremely memorable experience in a way that so few games do. "
    Couldn't agree more.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

Seems like a bunch of us bailed out around the same time.  End of 3 / start of 4.

I didn't really like the 'reveal' or where the story was heading and I couldn't face fighting the same battles over and over again just to see the ending.

I would buy a ton more JRPGs if they scaled right back on the non-boss combat (or at least gave you an option to play like that).  If a battle isn't directly linked to the storyline then I don't want to fight it.  I always love the stories and settings, but I just don't have the time or patience to play 20 hours of real content padded out over 50 hours anymore.

Edit:  I loved the 'dreams' in LO.  It says a lot that I can remember more about the stories from the 'dreams' than I can remember from the main storyline.  They nailed the presentation and I don't think they suffered from being uninteractive. 

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nasar7
    @Jimbo: The Dreams are definitely my favorite part of the game. I don't think they suffered from being non-interactive either. I guess what I meant was that since they are so good I wish they tied in better to the gameplay somehow or the story by having Kaim talk about them with someone ( so someone other than you, the player, knows); it could add a richer level of interaction between the party members. Like the orb sphere concept from FF X and X-2, but better.

Is there more characterization/exposition in discs 3-4?
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lucas_kelly
    @Nasar7: What do you mean by "characterization/exposition"?
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nasar7
    @lucas_kelly: Character development and does the plot move along.
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lucas_kelly

Yes it does go into quite a lot of detail about the characters pasts in discs 3 & 4.

pg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucas_kelly: I wish there will be a PC port or a playable version on Xcloud.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.