Going to Pour Boiling Hot Water on my Disc 4

#1 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Disc 4 doesn't read. Many had the same problem. Due to residue from the paper sleeve disc 4 was in. Hopefully this will fix it. Disc 3 was a real step up. Actually want to finish the game.

What a god-damn hazzle for playing a game I'm not that into. Disc 4 has all the world exploration and secret dungeons and bossfights. Wanted to check that out too.

How my retailer sold me a copy of a game with a known buggy disc... grrr! Might have to switch for good.

#2 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

the boiling water thing is a joke right?
#3 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -

The boiling water will not only ruin your disc it will open a inter-demension rift.  The code imprinted into the disc is held there through black magic cast by a witch.  Witches as you know do not go well with water, believe it or not their spells can actually be broken by boiling water.  So by destroying the spell holding the information to the disc you release all the code into the air.  For movies and music this is fine, nothing more than ringing or visions will appear, but for video games entire demensions will be opened up.  I'd just be careful if I were you.
#4 Posted by FartyMcNarly (566 posts) -

Get the game cleaned at a movie rental place.

#5 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

Boiling water would warp the plastic and possibly lift the label printing. You're better off doing either the toothpaste trick or just get it resurfaced. DO NOT POUR BOILING WATER ON IT!

#6 Edited by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

DON'T DO THE TOOTHPASTE TRICK, JEEZ. 

(or warm water)

#7 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" DON'T DO THE TOOTHPASTE TRICK, JEEZ.   (or warm water) "
But the toothpaste trick works. Trust me.
#8 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Hahaha - it actually worked. Was a 50/50 chance of being a internet practical joke. But I found the tip on about 10 forums - so I just went with it.

#9 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -

I heard microwaving the disc helps.
#10 Posted by Ghostiet (5322 posts) -

LIVESTREAM!

#11 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

Naw you gotta pee on it, like jellyfishes

#12 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

After pouring the boiling water on my disc, which I had placed in a soup bowl, the disc revealed its little dirty secret. The paper sleeve left invisible residue on the disc, making all but unreadable for the 360. I cleaned it off with a tissue and now it's smooth sailing thus far.

IT FUCKING WORKED =D

#13 Posted by HatKing (6108 posts) -

I heard spreading butter on it and then putting it in the toaster fixes it.
#14 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
@HatKing said:
"I heard microwaving the disc helps. "

lol
#15 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

Man, glad that worked for you. I think I would have initially wanted to turn the disc into an immortal frisbee had that happened to me.

#16 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" it's smooth sailing thus far."
Are you saying you... play from the disc? You play Lost Odyssey from the DISC? Are you out of your mind?

Not only will installing it to HDD reduce the loading times by several seconds each, it will also prevent the infamous Disc Read Error that has made many hours of Lost Odyssey player's progress gone to waste - even it the disc was perfectly alright.
#17 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

In commemoration of this epic feat, I will change my avatar to...

MacGyver!
#18 Posted by pause422 (6243 posts) -

You should of picked a better JRPG if I do say so myself. Game isn't even worth the 4 discs of hassle.

#19 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" @Seppli said:
" it's smooth sailing thus far."
Are you saying you... play from the disc? You play Lost Odyssey from the DISC? Are you out of your mind?  Not only will installing it to HDD reduce the loading times by several seconds each, it will also prevent the infamous Disc Read Error that has made many hours of Lost Odyssey player's progress gone to waste - even it the disc was perfectly alright. "
Whatcha gonna do if you still are stuck with the 20GB hard-drive? Gonna upgrade, once MS finally comes out with their new HDD. 120 GB HDDs are hard to come by these days.
#20 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -
@Snapstacle: You pee on jellyfishes? Doesn't that make them angry?
#21 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" You should of picked a better JRPG if I do say so myself. Game isn't even worth the 4 discs of hassle. "

Disc 1 and 2 were pretty lame and horribly paced. Disc 3 though was pretty good. The whole ring assembly stuff, as well as the excellent 'dreams' make up for all the hardship. Actually looking forward to disc 4 now. The little MacGyver escapade will be remembered fondly.

Evil marketing ploy - maybe? Cult status by sabotage?
#22 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@Brackynews said:
" @Snapstacle: You pee on jellyfishes? Doesn't that make them angry? "
Yeah, but they deserve it anyway.
#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" DON'T DO THE TOOTHPASTE TRICK, JEEZ.   (or warm water) "
But the toothpaste trick works. Trust me. "

Oh yeah, totally. But from experience... no. 

Bought a disc repair machine and it was a rip-off price, but I must have fixed three games and one movie with it. 
#24 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I guess it wouldn't help in this situation but this has reminded me back a few years ago where my last disc of FF9 wouldn't work and I fixed it by putting tape around the inside ring, so bizarre, CDs were so weird.

#25 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@MildMolasses said:
" the boiling water thing is a joke right? "
@FartyMcNarly said:
" Get the game cleaned at a movie rental place. "
#26 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Update:

Disc 4 works perfectly now (It didn't work at all before). Didn't have one read-error since I poured boiling water over it and wiped off the invisible residue.

This is not a joke. This actually fixes disc 4 of Lost Odyssey, if you got a copy with disc 4 coming in a paper sleeve. They fucked something up with those sleeves and there's some kind of invisible residue in it, which fucks up your disc. You can't wipe it off (or see it), unless you pour boiling hot water over your disc.

It does work. Google it, if you don't believe me. There are many people who did it. MacGyver magic disc 4 fix. Awesome!

#27 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -

Return it?

#28 Posted by macandcheese (223 posts) -
@Seppli said:
" Update:  Disc 4 works perfectly now (It didn't work at all before). Didn't have one read-error since I poured boiling water over it and wiped off the invisible residue.  This is not a joke. This actually fixes disc 4 of Lost Odyssey, if you got a copy with disc 4 coming in a paper sleeve. They fucked something up with those sleeves and there's some kind of invisible residue in it, which fucks up your disc. You can't wipe it off (or see it), unless you pour boiling hot water over your disc.  It does work. Google it, if you don't believe me. There are many people who did it. MacGyver magic disc 4 fix. Awesome! "
I had the same problem and also did that, kinda freaked me out but I had a gameguard on it so I figured if it did ruinthe disk I could get it replaced, still felt wierd pouring water on my nice game disc.
#29 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@Snapstacle said:
" @Brackynews said:
" @Snapstacle: You pee on jellyfishes? Doesn't that make them angry? "
Yeah, but they deserve it anyway. "
It also helps neutralize the pain caused by their sting. I've been stung by a jellyfish, and I wish I had peed on my leg, honestly. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.