Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Odyssey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 12, 2008

Lost Odyssey tells the epic journey of Kaim, a 1000 year old immortal with no memory of his past. He soon discovers there are other immortals as a conspiracy begins to unravel.

Is Lost Odyssey Worth Buying?

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

I'm really bored and really want a RPG to play, but I really don't know anything about Lost Odyssey. Since I know next to nothing about it, I figured that you guys could help me out. So, how about?

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rerty

I personally loved Lost Odyssey. But it definitely is not  for everyone. If you liked old school rpgs that are completely turn based and character driven then give this a whirl.

edit- Don't let the 4 discs fool you it's no longer than 35-40 hours

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Illmatic

Is there a lot of grinding involved?

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By tec3297

Yeah, the game is long with a great storyline...

Zues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zues

Pick it up, you won't be dissapointed.  Good music, and a solid storyline.   The game does a good job of not requiring level grinding (which I absolutely hate doing).  If you're into JRPGs, then give it a shot.  It's about 40 hours, with optional things to do that can keep you busy for another 20 or 30 hours.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Trickster

Very solid JRPG that have some interesting characters with more depth to them than the average spiky haired teenagers in most JRPG's 

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

How is the voice acting?

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By musicalmac

The best review I saw for this game was on GameTrailers. I suggest looking that up.

And yes I got it and really like it.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By gla55jAw
    Lee said:
    "How is the voice acting?
    "

the voice acting is pretty good except jansen gets a little annoying after a while.

but its deff worth buying its a really great game with a great story. and you dont have to worry about lvl grinding because after you get to a certain lvl in an area you basically cant lvl up anymore. although if i remember correctly for the first boss fight you had to make sure you were at the top lvl for the area because i died like 10 times, but that was the only time i remember that happening.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By keyhunter

Firstly, Jansen's hilarious. His voice actor does a fine job of portraying him as a whacky ladies man.
    Secondly, this game is really good, so yes you should buy it. There's no grinding to speak of as far as I can tell. Instead you have to rely on good tactical decisions.
    The long battle introductions and animations and crap were a good design decision as it makes grinding take way too long, so you'll probably just stick to only battling when you need to and trying to maximize the effectiveness of your team with what you have.

Logan_Aybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Logan_Aybara

If you've enjoyed previous Final Fantasy games, then this game is definitely for you.  Though this is a Mistwalker Studios game, they all worked in Final Fantasy games, so it has a similar feel to it.  The story and characters are intriguing, and the gameplay is rather fun.  If you need something to get you through the summer game drought, then this will definitely quench your thirst.

Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Rex

As has been said, it depends largely on whether you are an old-school JRPG fan or not. In the last generation or so, the JRPG genre has seriously evolved and innovated from a gameplay standpoint, not in the least through recent games such as Persona 3 and Final Fantasy XII. To be honest, Lost Odyssey does feel relatively outdated when compared to the standards held by the genre today. However, that is part of the point - its a throwback to the "good old days". If you like that, then you should really enjoy Lost Odyssey. It has a surprisingly adequate difficulty level and there is a decent amount of strategy. It feels a little simplistic at times, but it has a respectable amount of depth in its customization options, and the combinations that arise from them.

As far as the storyline goes, I felt it was predictable, and some of the voice acting was overly melodramatic. It's not bad by any means though, and it certainly has enough surprises to make it worthwhile.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By epic_pets

Yea, long and fun game

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolemnOaf

I'd say no.  There's too many bad design choices to enjoy the game.  The difficulty, the linearity, the annoying characters.  I made it to the third disk at least but haven't touched the game in a long time.

OblivionGuy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By OblivionGuy07

I am thinking about getting it as well. I think it looks pretty good

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pikachu

awesome game, definitely worth buying

TheLimper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By TheLimper

I loved Lost Odyssey. If enjoy RPG's I think this game is a must buy.

It's still my favorite game I've played this year. I certainly enjoyed it more than GTA IV.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

Thanks for all the feed back guys. You've certainly piqued my interest. I do enjoy old school JRPGs so I think I'm gonna have to go pick it up.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By irishjohn

I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey, but be warned that there are a lot of cutscenes. Like, a lot.  It seems you've decided to buy it, but I would look for it second-hand.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Carlos

Best RPG on 360, get it now!!!

OblivionGuy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OblivionGuy07

thanks for making this topic dude! I really am considering getting it now after seeing all of this positive feedback:D

zdmetal2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zdmetal2101

I rented it and I didn't care for it at all. But if JRPGs are your thing I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By LightYagami245

Absolutely! Lost Odyssey is a great game with a great story that will keep you interested throughout playing.

OblivionGuy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OblivionGuy07
    zdmetal2101 said:
    "I rented it and I didn't care for it at all. But if JRPGs are your thing I'm sure you'll enjoy it."

Yeah I enjoy those games...so sweet. I need to buy it!
    MAV3R1CK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MAV3R1CK

I was also wondering how this game is. I really need a long game to keep me busy.

Kaycon11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Kaycon11

Dude, Rent it first. I bought it 3 weeks ago, loved it but only played it for 4 days because the damn second boss is so damn hard and I don't feel like trying anymore and hoping I get lucky. In LO there is no need to grind because it don't help, in every area you go to, as long as you don't run away from battles you will keep getting by without breaking a sweat. However, once you get into a boss fight, you're on your own, it's so retarded, you go to use tactics, but the only thing is, there is so much luck involved, like hoping when you kill the first worm and the second worm comes out he don't paralyze all of you when he casts his attack. I tryed so many damn tactics and could never get it, I tryed my own, I tryed two different ones from the internet and nothing worked, the only way im gonna get by is if I get lucky, so I just get mad and havent played since, I was only 5 hrs into the game.

So just rent it first, and maybe you will get to a couple of bosses and find out if you like the challenge they give, because if you don't, then don't buy it because thats pretty much the whole game, getting lucky and hoping a strategy you use works.

Bkorns4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bkorns4
    Illmatic said:
    "Is there a lot of grinding involved?"
    This is actually the first RPG i've ever played that eliminates grinding from the game completely. Also if you like any of the previous final fantasy games (pre XII) then you will most likely enjoy this. LO is very story driven and i would only recommend the game if you dont mind reading for a bit or watching long cutscenes.
    Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blu_Magic

My friend says it's an amazing game.

BeefJerkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BeefJerkins

The game is great, however, it is almost guaranteed that the first couple boss fights are going to kick your ass repeatedly.  Stick with it, those first couple battles are a matter of timing and strategy.  Once I got past that, the rest of the game was relatively easy.  The story and voice acting were good enough to keep me going through the main path of the game (some may want to do the many extracurricular quests).  It took me about 10 hours to complete each disc, which came to about 40 hours total.
    A great game for those that are fans of traditional J-RPGs.  It's the best RPG on the 360 right now, imo.

Marterfarker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marterfarker

There are some great things about the combat and some bad things.
    Good; the ring combat system is fun.
    Bad; you have to pre-select all your characters actions before the first character (which could be you, someone else in your party, or the enemy) takes a turn. You can only change a characters strategy after the round is over.

There are many other examples of both good and bad aspects to the combat, but it's been awhile.

I did really enjoy the game over all and recommend it.
    But, to be upfront about this, I've played very few JRPG's. In fact, I never played one before getting a 360, so I don't have the history to say this game is too much like, or not enough like any previous games.

Oh, and has been stated before, the game absolutely does not prepare you for the first boss.

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Echelon730

It feels very old skool but its got good acting and story Its a solid buy not a must buy

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By keyhunter

The first few bosses were pretty easy. I don't see any problem with a bit of a challenge. If it was too easy you'd all be complaining about that too. But then again I'm hard core enough to buy RAM when I don't need it.

Leewow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Leewow

Ya Its Totally Worth it

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SonicFire

I can say, like everyone here, that if you're into some more old-school JRPGs, then it's a no brainer. It carried over a lot of conventions, like turn-based combat and random encounters. But it also changed a few things, by scaling levels every area has a basic level "cap" that both prevents grinding matches the player's level quite fast. Although this system can by bypassed a few points.

It will take you 35-40 hours to go through the basic story, but if you want to explore everything, expect to commit some more time to it. I personally thought it was excellent, looked fantastic, and did not have terrible load times (like many reviews suggested).
    Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine

It is worth buying if you like the RPG genre.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.