Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Odyssey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 12, 2008

Lost Odyssey tells the epic journey of Kaim, a 1000 year old immortal with no memory of his past. He soon discovers there are other immortals as a conspiracy begins to unravel.

One of the most underrated games of all time?

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By lucas_kelly

I have played many JRPG's in my time and this one is definatly up the top on my list. Everything about this game is done perfectly.
    One reason it was so underrated was because the complete reatail version of the game wasn't the one reviewed by most publications. 
    Anyone else hold the opinion that this game is up there with FF7?

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Zaapp1

I felt the story dragged a bit in places, like the dreams for instance.  Almost every single dream said something about someone dying and then mentioned how Kaim can't die.

Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

This game is certainly well polished. At the start I missed the presence of summons from other JRPG's, but after playing through the game I soon forgot about them and never got bored of the turn based battles. The random battles was a bit grating after a while, and I was hoping that a ring would be implemented that would remove or reduce them should you wish to.

My only real gripe is that the game, even after 60 hours of play, didn't feel big enough for me :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If it weren't for the random battles, I wouldn't still be on the second disk. Maybe I'll finish it one day.

The Chrono series has spoiled me.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Chirag4

It's underrated but definately not one of the best of all time.

Foxdemon2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Foxdemon2k

It is as good as FFX, if not better.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By maxx77

It's one of my top favorite jrpg's too, right up there with FFIV and FFVI.

Agreed on it not getting proper reviews because of the review copy that went out. From what I've learned, the review copy took longer to load, so each battle took a while just to start. Nearly every review I read knocked the game a few points down because of the lengthy load times. The retail game we have loads just as quickly as any other disc based rpg.

That really upset me when I saw that mentioned in all of the reviews, and then echoed countless times on forums from people who hadn't even played the game themselves. It would have helped sales if the review copy was the optimized, final code. That's how things go, though. Publishers are usually up against deadlines, and yet reviewers need their games early, so this happens all the time.

Adam_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adam_West

its a great game

Avatar image for solidusnake1234
    solidusnake1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By solidusnake1234
    Foxdemon2k said:
    "It is as good as FFX, if not better."

I second that, Lost Odyssey didn't get the respect it deserved. I guarantee you if LO was released on the PS3 it would have gotten like 9+ review scores and sold millions in japan. In my humble opinion, LO is the FFX of this generation and easily the best rpg on the 360!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I don't think JRPGS belong anywhere near the top of the best games list, so.........no.

voghan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By voghan

I never finished the 4th disk.  I think I sank around 40 hours into the game before I got stuck and never felt like finishing the game.  It was an interesting game but got a little too long for my tastes.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Illmatic

The game's alright. Got up to the fourth disc but just generally lost interest in the game and just asked my brother to tell me the ending. I'd advise others to not let the whole 4 disc thing fool you into thinking its going to be one hell of an epic story. Gets kinda monotonous from the whole someone dies but kaim can't dreams to the typical kids ran off somewhere dangerous lets save them. The fighting is pretty fun though, the ring system giving you more interactivity than simply pressing the A button till the baddie drops. Honestly though, I think its gotten its due praise. Maybe that's just my jaded gamer side getting tired of the standard JRPG mold, but I thought the game was slightly above average at best.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By atejas

Heavily underrated.
    Just worse than FFX.

creamstatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By creamstatic
    maxx77 said:
    "It's one of my top favorite jrpg's too, right up there with FFIV and FFVI.

Agreed on it not getting proper reviews because of the review copy that went out. From what I've learned, the review copy took longer to load, so each battle took a while just to start. Nearly every review I read knocked the game a few points down because of the lengthy load times. The retail game we have loads just as quickly as any other disc based rpg.

That really upset me when I saw that mentioned in all of the reviews, and then echoed countless times on forums from people who hadn't even played the game themselves. It would have helped sales if the review copy was the optimized, final code. That's how things go, though. Publishers are usually up against deadlines, and yet reviewers need their games early, so this happens all the time."
    thats sad to read about the review copy. I'm really enjoying this game so far. Still on the first disc though.
    HeLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HeLives
    Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Terrell

Definitely Underrated....I had alot of fun with it (still haven't beaten it though....)

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wuffi

dood finish ff7 its amazing

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

My brother play a lot of JRPGs and he couldn't even finish it. He said he had a lot of issues, but I'm not sure what they were. He said that Jansen made up for a lot of them, though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By jakob187

If by "underrated" you mean "horrible"...then it is ABSOLUTELY underrated.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By CharleyTony

As far as 3-D JRPGs go, this is probably the best one out there. Im a Final Fantasy fanboy, and nowadays replaying FF7 makes it look so outdated that I couldnt stand more than 2 hours of it. I really like FF8, thought FF9 was okay, like FF10 and really like FF12.

But when it comes to Lost Odyssey, in my own opinion, comparing it with those games (which I consider the cream of the JRPG crop) makes Lost Odyssey completely blow all those FF games away.

Because that game didnt re-invent the wheel, people were not impressed but there is simply no traditionnal JRPG that can beat it.
    People hating on this game are mostly not JRPG fans, looking for something more akin to Oblivion, I guess.

But if I had to pick a best of all time JRPG, for me it would be FF6 on the Super NES. (Chrono Trigger does not count)

So, is LOST ODYSSEY underrated ??? Hell YEAH !!!!!

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By gla55jAw
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By CharleyTony

Come to think of it, have any other games ever shipped using 4 DVDs ? (Blue Dragon would come in second with 3 DVDs) ???

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By lucas_kelly

This is a game that you must complete to get the full experience. I strongly suggest that you finish the game as the ending is amazing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187

..........no.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By oraknabo

It seems to me that the problem with reviews of this game is they rated it based on the idea that it was supposed to be the greatest new thing in JRPGs and completely redefine the genre. I think if you look at it as an alternative branch off of the FF series, like an alternate FFX - where Sakaguchi would have liked to have taken the series after IX instead of where it has gone it makes more sense. Sure it's on a far more powerful system than FFX was and there is some expectation for it to push the tech a bit harder, but if they continue the kind of experimentation with the battle system that most of his FF titles had, it raises hopes for something more unique with any sequels thay might make.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By exfate

Yes, this game will go down as one of the most under-rated and over-looked games of this generation. It's the best JRPG out this generation so far. Years later, people will laugh at the irony of the title.

Hopefully there will be a sequel - something all new but with the same immortality concept. I doubt there will be though - despite the rumors that it's in development. All we can do is look forward to the next Mistwalker/AQ Interactive console protect - Cry On - and whatever lies beyond.

Ichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ichi

The game is really very good.  If you install the disk you're playing on the game is way better as well because the game benefits the most of any 360 game I know of by going installed.  The random battle load times were SOOOO annoying before, now it's literally a second before you even start seeing the battle screen.

I think there are more overlooked / underrated games this generation than LO though.  Omega Five was so ignored on XBLA it's criminal.  Pixeljunk Monsters on PSN is one of the best titles this gen yet it probably sold <100k copies.  William's Pinball Hall of Fame on Wii is an especially depressing story : the company printed out very few copies because they expected a failure, so not only did the game not sell well but it is very rare, and it's basically the best video pinball game EVER by a large margin.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CashBailey

I agree, this is a wonderful, gripping game that smokes every FINAL FANTASY game since FF8.

The 'Dream' stories are surprisingly touching and superbly written, the voice acting is terrific and the menu system is extremely well utilised.

For anyone wanting to get into epic fantasy adventures I would not hesitate that they pick up a copy of this beautifully realised game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.