stealthoneill's Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) review

An Unforgettable Odyssey

Any RPG fan will, from the out set of this game tell you one thing. Lost Odyssey plays a lot like Final Fantasy 10. In fact the combat system feels almost identical right down to the menus and 'Turn waiting' boxes. Although not a bad thing as the game has concentrated on other areas to build itself a name, using an already established and popular combat system enables focus on other areas.

First Steps

The world in which the game is set consists of Immortals and Mortals, Kaim the main character being Immortal begins his epic journey alone on a battle field of which he has no memory of beginning. The game then sets up an easy and almost unnoticed set of tutorials that blend right in to the game so you hardly notice your first steps in his shoes. The Cinematic effort in this game becomes apparent very early on and the game is riddled with long, in depth cut scenes that allow our character(s) to grow with us, experiencing every step as if we were there.

Stories...

The game consists of a mode known as ‘A Thousand Years of Dreams’ as you progress you unlock memories through meetings, side quests and the main story. Rather than add another cut scene developers have added a new, rather strange innovation – The have written short stories as memories, though not required reading the stories add depth and feeling to characters and surroundings. You feel the pain in each word and the joy of each new step.

Sights, Unseen

The absolute beauty of the game often leaves you astounded, the cut scenes are crisp and the vocal work is excellent, only let down by the sometimes questionable script translations.

Conclusion

I have purposefully left the review as spoiler free as possible as I thoroughly enjoyed ever step and twist and wouldn’t want to ruin it for others. Coming in a neatly packed 4 discs, Lost Odyssey plays to around the 40-50 hour mark when concentrating on the story mode although I racked up 90 hours with a friend attempting to get the achievements. I well thought and played out story backed by a combat system with little flaw, this beauty of a game is a must for any avid RPG Xbox 360 owner.