Anyone wanting to get PS3 version should read this.

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1088085p1.html      

Apparently, the game chugs pretty hard on PS3, so much so that it recieved a 5.5 on PS3, and a 6.0 on 360. Now, this is the only review that ive seen this mentioned, but its something to consider if your planning to get it on PS3. Im sure itll be patched soon, atleast I would hope it would be. Capcom really hasnt been on the ball with PS3 multiplatform development. I guess their MT framework engine dosent translate well to PS3, which is a shame. Lost Planet 1 was abysmal on PS3, and it sounds like the second is pretty bad also.  

Yes, I know I bring up version differences all the time, but this is important for people planning to get this on PS3 to know.
#2 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Just to chip in, I've got Lost Planet 2 review code on PS3 and it plays fine. The game's no Uncharted 2 anyway, but it's been ok for me. Haven't seen the XBOX 360 version so can't compare -- nothing's affected my playthrough on PS3 aside from some genuine issues with the game itself mind.

#3 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@get2sammyb:

huh, see this is why this review is curious to me. Ive seen liek 3 other reviews where it wasnt mentioned that the game runs bad on PS3.
#4 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -

Not surprised. The Playstation 3 versions of the demos were extremely choppy.

#5 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@Icemael:

really? I palyed the demo that came out a while back, and it seemed fine to me.
#6 Edited by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: Both demos ran like crap for me. The framerate wasn't as bad as the PS3 version of Bayonetta's, but definitely unacceptably low.
#7 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -

From the general consensus off the reviews, either version don't look like they're worth it. =/

#8 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" From the general consensus off the reviews, either version don't look like they're worth it. =/ "

Huh? Most reviews are pretty damn positive, only a few really low scores bring the average down, and not that far (currently 75% for the 360). As I said elsewhere, for some games it's no use to try and get a feel for through reviews. Lost Planet 2 in particular has elements similar to Monster Hunter, ie, very different from Western developers' takes on a given mechanic, so some people can't grasp that. Maybe even more so since it's a shooter and not a melee focused game of which there aren't many. I'm not saying it's great either since I haven't played it (but liked the original which was flawed but not in the ways some reviewers claimed, it was just too simplistic of an experience, the controls and most elements were great imo), but yeah, reviewers can be wrong.
#9 Edited by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@Al3xand3r:  
I'm not one to let the reviews decide for me what I purchase or anything =P, but a lot of the common complaints all look to make it a game that definitely requires a great deal of patience to appreciate its better aspects. Plus most of the more positive reviews have been from magazines mostly, and I never take any of their scores too seriously.  

I also have a feeling that it won't score any higher than 3 stars for GB at that, either.
#10 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I only see 4 magazine reviews out of the 14 positive ones, and most have websites as well as print versions, and didn't give its best scores.

From what I've read the one recurring complaint is the teammate AI, which is easily solved by playing in co-op, much like in RE5.

As for what GB will rate it, eh, they seem like the defintion of the American gamer who wouldn't even try to get a mechanic for being different, not worse, so yes, I also expect them to rate it low even if it turns out to be a pretty good co-op game in the end. If they reviewed MHTri they'd probably give 2/5 despite its greatness.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" As for what GB will rate it, eh, they seem like the defintion of the American gamer who wouldn't even try to get a mechanic for being different, not worse. "
This is true. Demon's Souls came to mind instantly. =/
#12 Edited by Trilogy (2674 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" As for what GB will rate it, eh, they seem like the defintion of the American gamer who wouldn't even try to get a mechanic for being different, not worse. "
This is true. Demon's Souls came to mind instantly. =/ "
Yea, sort of like that American guy Yahtzee...oh wait.
#13 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Abyssfull said:

" From the general consensus off the reviews, either version don't look like they're worth it. =/ "

Huh? Most reviews are pretty damn positive, only a few really low scores bring the average down, and not that far (currently 75% for the 360). As I said elsewhere, for some games it's no use to try and get a feel for through reviews. Lost Planet 2 in particular has elements similar to Monster Hunter, ie, very different from Western developers' takes on a given mechanic, so some people can't grasp that. Maybe even more so since it's a shooter and not a melee focused game of which there aren't many."
That's true, but certain people are saying it's worse than the first. Gamespot's review, for example -- and Gamespot gave the first one a very good score -- states that it's a "major step backwards", making the first game's issues worse instead of better, and sporting god-awful mission design. Some of the issues, like how water is sometimes deadly and sometimes not, and how you can end up inescapable knockback loops sound pretty damn annoying, and that's not stuff like you can explain away with "it's a Japanese game".
#14 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@Trilogy said:
" @Abyssfull said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

Yea, sort of like that American guy Yahtzee...oh wait. "
No please continue...I don't hava clue who Yahtzee is so the sarcasm is a miss for me.
#15 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Trilogy said:
" @Abyssfull said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

No please continue...I don't hava clue who Yahtzee is so the sarcasm is a miss for me. "
Yahtzee is the dude who makes Zero Punctuation. He's a British guy living in Australia.
#16 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

It's not by the same reviewer as LP1 in GameSpot's case. And they also rated the PSP MH games really low, each with a different reviewer. Needless to say I strongly disagree with those reviews. They did rate 3 well though, which is also weird, given the formula is quite similar. Anyway I said I don't know if LP2 is great, I just said a few bad reviews for a game that, good or bad, is bound to be a relatively unique experience, isn't the end of the world.

#17 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" I only see 4 magazine reviews out of the 14 positive ones, and most have websites as well as print versions, and didn't give its best scores.From what I've read the one recurring complaint is the teammate AI, which is easily solved by playing in co-op, much like in RE5.As for what GB will rate it, eh, they seem like the defintion of the American gamer who wouldn't even try to get a mechanic for being different, not worse, so yes, I also expect them to rate it low even if it turns out to be a pretty good co-op game in the end. If they reviewed MHTri they'd probably give 2/5 despite its greatness. "
They write reviews for their particular audience, which is a damn good thing. And also, having played the LP2 demos, I gave them both plenty of time to convince me I was wrong, but the SP demo was just plain TERRIBLE. There is no way you can deny the fact that, at the very least, the SP demo wasn't good. Shooting constantly at a giant thing that only takes damage in very small and often difficult spots to get at, and then getting inside of a beast in a way that was never clear and even once I had a vague idea of how to do it, never really worked properly. The game certainly handled well in terms of controls, but the actual GAME part of the demo wasn't great. It felt kind of like "Look you can shoot limbs off but they regenerate only very slightly slower then the rate at which you destroy them, and there are rigs all over the place but even with them, this demo is gunna take a while!" Then you look at the MP demo which certainly has potential, but ended up being poorly executed due to it's lack of clarity and direction, and it's less then optimal network code. The thing about reviewing a game is that you have to look at the ENTIRE picture. For example, GB would probably give Mount & Blade a really low score, as would I, but I effing LOVE that game, and some of the GB guys really enjoy it too. The game is honestly a big pile of shit, but because of it's saving graces, it manages to be really quite fun, regardless. But you have to take into account things like BEING ABLE TO LOOK DOWN AND SEE YOUR BACK when your in first person, or the fact that grappling onto moving geometry is pretty much useless in LP2, or that the demo was mind-blowing-ly dull. Not to mention the fact that for some reason playing coop in that demo made it impossible to actually beat the stupid beast, where as I beat him entirely from the exterior and the basic machine gun without any real difficulty (beyond it taking a while and some frustrating attempts to get inside) solo. If you look at the difference between the LP and LP2 demos, it's pretty clear which one was better. One gave you a decently long experience, showing you new stuff, and keeping you engaged while demonstrating the numerous mechanics of the game, and the other threw you into an intensely boring, overly long, sandbox-without-freedom-y sequence that did little to show off the actual game. As far as I know, LP2 is NOT one boss battle after another (and I mean literally, I'm sure there are tons of em, but there's more to the game), but the Demo decided the part of the game that is apparently (or at least hopefully) the least enjoyable aspect of the game was a good way to go.
#18 Edited by Trilogy (2674 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Trilogy said:

" @Abyssfull said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

No please continue...I don't hava clue who Yahtzee is so the sarcasm is a miss for me. "
In case you aren't just countering my sarcasm with more sarcasm, here's what I'm talking about. Just pointing out that there are exceptions to your rule. I say that because I'm sure some people will assume I agree with this guy's review and that I'm trying to troll or start a flame war. I haven't played the game myself so I have no opinion on it.

#19 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@Al3xand3r said:
" It's not by the same reviewer as LP1 in GameSpot's case. "
I know, but he's still saying it's a "major step backwards" and giving it a 5.5, so I assume he enjoyed the first game.

And those flaws he pointed out? The first Lost Planet didn't have anything like that.
#20 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

If the game is fun, it's fun, so having a few visual glitches and sub par visuals shouldn't make it score shit. Mount&Blade is a 7/10 at worst, keeping in mind how unique it is and its distinguishing elements. With a 5 grade scale I'd probably lean to a 4. That doesn't mean that if such a review was published every gamer should feel confident in purchasing it of course, the review should do a good job explaining what it is that makes the game good, and what it is that makes it bad, so they can, in the end, decide for themselves if its good points appeal to them, without however giving a solid, fun game that a lot of effort was put into a bad name with a shitty score just because it may not be for everyone, or for a given audience. I don't see why it's a problem to score good games well, even if they don't appeal to a certain audience. I don't play sports games so if I see a soccer game scored 5/5 I'm not gonna rush to buy it, duh. They can rate good games well even if their audience isn't into that stuff, as long as they explain it may not be for them, just like that soccer game isn't for me, but that doesn't mean it should be rated 1/5. As for your little demo review, I don't see any reason to trust it more than any other review of the game, especially given your other statements. I already said I don't know if LP2 is good multiple times, I merely said reviews aren't the last word. if you disagree, good for you.

@Icemael: maybe he doesn't know how to dodge? Some people thought they stop dead when shot in LP1 as well, but you could jump/roll out of the way. Or maybe the point is to be a bit more mindful and tactical over what's happening so that you don't put yourself in such a stunlock situation. I dunno.

#21 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Gametrailers mentioned nothing about choppy game.  

You gotta stop accepting just ONE review about that stuff raven. 

I have not seen other reviews stating about a choppy game. 

#22 Posted by Yummylee (22041 posts) -
@Trilogy:  
My rule? It's not like I was saying that only Americans dismiss different cultural development ideas. I was just agreeing that GB in particular do.
#23 Edited by Trilogy (2674 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

" @Trilogy:  
My rule? It's not like I was saying that only Americans dismiss different cultural development ideas. I was just agreeing that GB in particular do. "

Rule was maybe not the best term.

Also, Dave and Vinny both seemed to like demon's souls. Brad and Ryan didn't try it to my knowledge and Jeff was the only one that tried it and didn't like it (again, as far as i know)

As far as lost planet 2 is concerned, the staff seem generally interested in the game. Time will tell for sure.
#24 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: I just read Gamespot's Monster Hunter Tri review, and noticed that it was from the same guy who wrote the Lost Planet 2 one. He gave Monster Hunter an 8, so I think it's safe to say that LP2's low score has nothing to do with cultural differences. The Monster Hunter games are far, far clunkier and more Japanese than Lost Planet was.
#25 Posted by bhhawks78 (1206 posts) -

Rofl at people saying bad game design is ok because it's Japanese.

#26 Posted by Lazyaza (2196 posts) -

I've been hearing pretty bad things about LP2 in general, apparently the game is very buggy and has alot of frustratingly near-broken segments in each level and is downright unplayable in single player.

Sucks, I was really looking forward to it too. Might just wait for the pc version now since it'll run better on my pc and cost alot less.

#27 Posted by Steve_C (1756 posts) -

Kevin V's video review mentions differences with the ps3 version too.

#28 Posted by Kintaro (120 posts) -
@bhhawks78 said:
" Rofl at people saying bad game design is ok because it's Japanese. "
This.
#29 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Kintaro said:
@bhhawks78 said:
Rofl at people saying bad game design is ok because it's Japanese.
This.
Too bad noone said that.
#30 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

First I've heard of any issues on PS3....

#31 Posted by xyzygy (10029 posts) -

Wow, I had no idea the PS3 version has such a difference. 

WHY are games still lacking on the PS3?! I mean, this is freaking Capcom for christs sake, they have proven that they can make PS3 games look just as good as the 360. Why all of a sudden with LP2 does this happen???

#32 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1908 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: I would have thought the fact that the 'good' version of the game scored a 6.0 is a better reason to avoid it...
#33 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:
" Just to chip in, I've got Lost Planet 2 review code on PS3 and it plays fine. The game's no Uncharted 2 anyway, but it's been ok for me. Haven't seen the XBOX 360 version so can't compare -- nothing's affected my playthrough on PS3 aside from some genuine issues with the game itself mind. "
when did you become a well enough known reviewer for game companies to send you game code?
#34 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @get2sammyb said:

" Just to chip in, I've got Lost Planet 2 review code on PS3 and it plays fine. The game's no Uncharted 2 anyway, but it's been ok for me. Haven't seen the XBOX 360 version so can't compare -- nothing's affected my playthrough on PS3 aside from some genuine issues with the game itself mind. "
when did you become a well enough known reviewer for game companies to send you game code? "
Since I've been running PushSquare.com for about 20 months, and GamesMainFrame.com before that.

My review's here if MB doesn't eat me for linking it, by the way. Haha.
#35 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@gunslingerNZ:

Well, this is the only review ive seen that states these differences, so either IGN is lieing, or the other reviewers didnt bother playing the PS3 version.
#36 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4778 posts) -
@get2sammyb said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @get2sammyb said:

when did you become a well enough known reviewer for game companies to send you game code? "
Since I've been running PushSquare.com for about 20 months, and GamesMainFrame.com before that.

My review's here if MB doesn't eat me for linking it, by the way. Haha. "
 ""Some unusual design choices make Lost Planet 2 substantially less fun that it should have been. ""

just pointing out...than...
#37 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @get2sammyb said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @get2sammyb said:

My review's here if MB doesn't eat me for linking it, by the way. Haha. "
 ""Some unusual design choices make Lost Planet 2 substantially less fun that it should have been. ""  just pointing out...than... "
lol owned. Cheers man :) All fixed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.