Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

Crimininally underrated game

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

I have been addicted to Lost Planet 2's single and multiplayer for a very long time now and I'm astonished that the review scores are so low.  I get a real Demon's Souls vibe from the way the game is structured, and I can see how a lot of western gamers might misunderstand what the game is trying to accomplish.  If the idea of a co-op focused online action rpg/ shooter sounds good to you, I'd recommend you give the game a shot-- it seems reviewers were a little too quick to dismiss it.  The game is really beautiful graphicially, the combat is a lot of fun and varied, and the progression systems make the game hard ot put down.  It's not the type of multiplayer that demands all players have headsets, it's more of a laid-back dungeon crawl feel. 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

The game is way more tolerable since it was patched and can be finished single player but before that  it was straight up broken. The train level is utter bullshit patch or no patch.
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By normalpants
    @marioncobretti said:

"The game is way more tolerable since it was patched and can be finished single player but before that  it was straight up broken. The train level is utter bullshit patch or no patch. "

That maybe explains why my experience has been so drastically different than people's initial impressions.  Seems like a lot of people are playing it online too. (ps3)
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Krakn3Dfx
    I totally agree, dug into this over the weekend with my son, played for probably 7-8 hours and had a blast.  I had 2 copies back when it was $10 a pop at Best Buy since we have 2 PS3s, and we both had a great time.

I can see why people would be frustrated with it tho, the worm battle on the train was intense as hell, and they don't really give you a lot to work with as far as what you need to do.  We spent probably 20 minutes on it the first time not know wtf was going on, but once we figured out the coolant situation, we breezed through it in less than 10 minutes the 2nd time through.

Had to stop there for now, but that was an epic mission to be sure.  It's rare to find a train level in a game that makes you feel like the train is as much of an enemy as anything else, but that definitely did it for me.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chokobo

Split screen co-op being completely broken is a deal-breaker, personally.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

It wasn't underrated pre-patch... but it sure as hell is now. Most people either don't know how big an improvement the patch was, or that it's even been released, but with it, the game is an absolute blast. Especially on Hard.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ventilaator

I played the demo (Which was pre-patch obviously) and liked it and had absolutely zero problems with it at all. Felt like it did it's own fairly unique thing very well, I just never got around to play the full thing.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By zerok

Post-patch a re-rating really would make sense, but if I look at it from a pure single-player experience I still can't bring myself to like this game. It might just be that the story is told in a rather confusing way and that the structure is that of a multiplayer game even when you're playing it on your own, which is IMO just stupid ... hm... although come to thing about it: I didn't complain all that much when I tried to play Phantasy Star Online alone on my Dreamcast back in the days ... 

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeF

good to hear some positive thoughts on this.

I've had the game since last summer (bought it in a bundle deal with RE5 Gold Edition) but never played it (still haven't played the first one, which has been sitting on my shelf for almost two years now)

Your post made me really wanna play both, though! :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Hearing all of this about the game post-patch, I might actually pick it up now.  I might also see if Cadillac-Dro wants to check it out again.  He was severely disappointed with LP2, so he ended up moving over to CODBLOPS.  Now, he might be willing to come back to LP.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777

I beat it when it came out and the game had some pretty glaring design issues. Unless this patch fixed some core gameplay things, I doubt it's underrated. 

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Enigma777 said:
    " I beat it when it came out and the game had some pretty glaring design issues. Unless this patch fixed some core gameplay things, I doubt it's underrated.  "
    Yeah that's kind of what I feel on the whole thing. I didn't finish it though it's right up there with the first Assassin's Creed game and Prototype as games that were too terrible for me to stomach through.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't even know what kind of game it is

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
    @Doctorchimp: Prototype was a pretty excellent game.  Still don't understand the hate for it.  As for Assassin's Creed, well...Assassin's Creed II's level of excellence definitely made the first game look like a steaming pile.  However, without the sequels, the only real issue beyond some minor combat stuff was the repetition of missions. 

I wouldn't say either are comparable to something like Lost Planet 2 pre-patch.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @jakob187: 

Glad you liked Prototype. The sloppy combat and the monotony of doing the same over and over again was too mindless for me...

Same goes for Assassin's Creed, it was pretty, but fucking christ what a mess of being an actual game.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By kingzetta

I think Lost Planet 2 was the 4th best game of 2010.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By oysteinBrenne

lately i have really been enjoying  majin and the forsaken kingdom and    Nail'd 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.