Famitsu Review Scores (33/40)

#1 Posted by MingZ (38 posts) -

Famitsu Review Scores
Lost Planet 2- 8/8/9/8 (33/40)

http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/05/11/famitsu-review-scores-week-514/

*not sure if it okay to post a source link 

Anyway if u like Mech, FPS and killing big a$$ monster you should try this game, rent one if u r not sure, i got mine ;p

#2 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

So... it got an 8.25 out of 10.

Famitsu seems to be awful at reviewing games.

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

It seems they are heavely affected by hype for example they gave Final Fantasy 13 39/40, I havent played the game but for a game that takes 10 hours to get good (no matter how good it gets) cant be so close to getting a perfect score (for those who dont know how Famitsu works they have 4 reviewers who rate the game up to 10 which means Final Fantasy got perfect score from 3 of the reviewrs).

#4 Edited by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Guess that game is really a hate it or love it kinda deal. The general consensus seems to be however that it is extremely tedious and virtually unplayable as a singleplayer game.

#5 Posted by MingZ (38 posts) -

Is a japanese game, just like how Halo is not famous there

#6 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

Famitsu has too much of a track record of being in publishers pockets to be taken seriously at this point. 

But I do like this game, and I think people should give it a try.

#7 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Fuck Famitsu

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9891 posts) -

Famitsu is the only review site I trust. I don't know why but every single time I agree with them. I have enjoyed all the games they have rated highly as opposed to other reviews. I'm not going to name any games, because it'll end up in "WHY DO YOU LIKE THAT STUPID GAME, ITS BROKEN" so yeah. But that's pretty awesome. I'll be picking up LP2 sometime in the future.

#9 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

funny to see, every time famitsu gets quoted it's just the score, when we all know that, what the reviewer have to say about the games is much more important than a number.... 

+japanesse people clearly have different tastes on shooters 
+famitsu  reviews are kinda biased

#10 Posted by OneManX (1680 posts) -

Like Monster Hunter?

Like Lost Planet 1... Multiplayer?

Like playing online in general

You should try this game out...

#11 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@MingZ said:
" Is a japanese game, just like how Halo is not famous there "
Funny you mention that since Famitsu gave Halo 3 a 37/40, higher than Lost Planet 2.
#12 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -
Is Famitsu even relevant at this point? 
I don't understand why anyone has to care what score Famitsu has bestowed on "X" game. I would state that they have lost credibility at this point, but I fear that might be too redundant. I don't think even gamers from Japan take each new "review" score with much care or interest. I think that it's the painfully uninformed that take interest to each announcement of scores as something remotely credible, and this needs to stop. They're actual reviews are laughable to modern standards. 

These were the same people are also in developers and publishers pockets. Recently, in the most literal sense possible. Game reviews have been delayed because of the actual game's quality, and if you think that certain game reviews are affected by hype over here: You clearly have yet to actually read a Famitsu review.

Don't bother with these guys. Whatever golden days of solid credibility they had, that time has long since past.
#13 Posted by bartok (2417 posts) -

Always remember Famitsu gave a perfect score to Nintendogs.

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23868 posts) -

It's not as though Famitsu is the only publication to give Lost Planet 2 a good review at this point.  Yeah, Brad doesn't like it, but that's the opinion of one man.  That's not to say whether I agree with either Famitsu or Brad, as I have little interest in the game and likely won't ever get around to playing it.

#15 Posted by MingZ (38 posts) -
@Zenaxzd: 

ya high review for halo by Famitsu but still not famous in Japan non asia, is like a in Singapore most gamer like both games from USA and Japan
#16 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -

A review scale of 40 is so dumb.

#17 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" A review scale of 40 is so dumb. "
What makes you say that? It's basically a compilation of four reviews of 10. EGM would have three people review games on a 10 point scale.
#18 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @natetodamax said:
What makes you say that? It's basically a compilation of four reviews of 10. EGM would have three people review games on a 10 point scale. "
Oh, I wasn't aware that each game got four reviews. Now it makes a little more sense.
#19 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
No, it's great. Much better than most other scales, at it gives you four different people's opinions. 

But this is Famitsu. Their reviews are measures of hype and marketing budget, not the actual quality of the games.
#20 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Famitsu might not be perfect, but it's interesting to get the perspective of a gamer from another country. I like mechs and big-a$$ monsters too :)

#21 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
gratz

you have just insulted AN ENTIRE NATION.
#22 Posted by Downsize (133 posts) -

Everyone is so FUCK Famitsu! Why?! Because Brad hates LP2?  Biased is shit, get a mind of your own and give me a good reason past 10 hours of Lost Planet 2 why you hate it.  Exactly. 

#23 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@Downsize said:
" Everyone is so FUCK Famitsu! Why?! Because Brad hates LP2?  Biased is shit, get a mind of your own and give me a good reason past 10 hours of Lost Planet 2 why you hate it.  Exactly.  "
Here's why I'm so "FUCK Famitsu". 

And I haven't played Lost Planet 2, but some of the issues I've heard of -- like how they push you back up to 45 minutes when you run out of lives -- are plain unacceptable. That kind of stuff was barely acceptable last generation. Now, in 2010, four years into the current generation, it's shocking that any developer -- Japanese or not -- could even think of doing stuff like that.
#24 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Icemael:  So you never play retro-style games then? I don't see where this notion that games have to be designed any particular way comes from. As I've pointed out elsewhere, gaming's design decisions are driven largely by economics. If you think that games shouldn't be designed that way, then sure, but it doesn't make them invalid for all. There isn't some general standard of where we're at, which is why the conclusion that LP2 should be Gears of War is invalid. Lp2 is designed for a different market plain and simple (and some people in the West will be fine with that). As for Famitsu's reviews, they have different cultural assumptions and that's why you reject it, a valid response given your own cultural assumptions. Judging them for it isn't really justified imo. Why should you care about Famitsu?
#25 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @natetodamax said:
No, it's great. Much better than most other scales, at it gives you four different people's opinions. But this is Famitsu. Their reviews are measures of hype and marketing budget, not the actual quality of the games. "
This is exactly true.  Publishers often recieve scores based on the amount of publication they recieve in the magazine, and can recieve higher scores for games if they opt for less advertising (although this usually means one of their other games must recieve lower scores in the future).  They make no secret of this, and as far as I'm concerned it'sa  totally non-sensical system that completely destroyes their credibility.
#26 Edited by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:

" @Icemael:  So you never play retro-style games then? I don't see where this notion that games have to be designed any particular way comes from. As I've pointed out elsewhere, gaming's design decisions are driven largely by economics. If you think that games shouldn't be designed that way, then sure, but it doesn't make them invalid for all. There isn't some general standard of where we're at, which is why the conclusion that LP2 should be Gears of War is invalid. Lp2 is designed for a different market plain and simple (and some people in the West will be fine with that). As for Famitsu's reviews, they have different cultural assumptions and that's why you reject it, a valid response given your own cultural assumptions. Judging them for it isn't really justified imo. Why should you care about Famitsu? "

I've never, ever played a retro game that has pushed me back 45 minutes. The "push you back to the beginning of the level" thing worked back when levels were a couple of minutes long, but you can't take that and apply it to a modern game with hour-long levels. It's stupid. Whether you like it or not, Gears of War is, with its checkpoint system, far more similar to the old 2D classics than Lost Planet 2; each checkpointed segment is like a little level of its own.

And don't try pulling the cultural differences card. That's bullshit. There is nothing good whatsoever about pushing the player back 45 minutes -- it forces the player is play through the 45 minutes he has already beaten, because he couldn't beat the part that comes after that; no matter how you try and twist it, that's something only a masochist would approve of -- and as for their reviews, a review is a review. It's a critical evaluation. If it isn't a critical evaluation, it isn't a review, which means that by calling their "reviews" reviews, Famitsu are lying. If you can explain that away with cultural differences, please, go ahead. Maybe lying is okay in Japan. I don't know; I've never been there.
#27 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Icemael: sorry I have to disagree. it sucks when you're sent back 45 minutes but at the same time when you finally do beat that section it feels like you actually accomplished something and have become better at the game.  
i haven't played lost planet 2 so i'm using monster hunter tri and demons souls as my jumping off point here. both of those games can be brutally punishing but once you learn the system and finally do overcome the pain in the ass that sent you back it feel so damn good. makes for a more enjoyable experience overall. 

then again i don't get pissed off at games very easily. if you are someone who has a tendency of controller throwing rage benders, i can see why you'd hate that type of design.
#28 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@odintal: But that's the thing: You haven't become any better at the game or accomplished anything more than you would've if the game had simply allowed you to restart the part you had trouble with. All the game has done is wasted hours of your time. It's the equivalent of you playing 45 minutes of a game, saving, having your save corrupted, and then having to do it all over again, only the game makes sure that happens every time. How can you approve of that? It's masochism.

And I'm not at all the kind of person who swears or throws controllers. I just don't like wasting hours of my time on repeatedly playing through a segment I don't have any trouble with. It's idiocy.
#29 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Icemael: ah but I have become better at the game. if i start up a new character and get to the same point I don't die again.  i've learned something and applied what i learned to surviving. 
i can make it back to that spot and waltz through the section with confidence knowing where my mistake was and how to avoid it. 
in some games with even generous checkpoint systems i can die repeatedly and not know what caused my survival when I make it through. luck maybe? the AI changed tactics from grenade spam? they didn't randomly blind fire all at once with every shot hitting me? no clue. 
#30 Edited by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Icemael:  Except when you run out of lives and have to start the entire game over again. I also agree with what Odintal said; if you make a mistake and that leads to your death you can learn from it and once you do you are unlikely to do it again. It provides a sense of mastery.
As for the rest of your post, reviews are a buyer's guide. People are free to read or not to read, I don't care about Famitsu's review practices and if they work for their audience to that end it's fine by me. I don't care to spread culturally insensitive opinions on matters that don't affect me, and neither should you.
As for Western reviewers, they don't have much credibility either: read about standard review practices on the Escapist if you like. If you think journalism is concerned with critical judgement then you are sadly mistaken.
#31 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@odintal: Let me point out the multitude of flaws in that logic: 

• More often than not when I -- and, I'm guessing, most other people -- beat a part in a game, it's because I was skilled enough. Assuming that the player got through those 45 minutes because of luck is fucking retarded.
  • Even if I did get through parts of that 45 minutes long segment because of luck, forcing me to play through the parts I didn't beat out of luck is fucking retarded.
  • Even after I learn how to properly beat the parts I beat out of luck, I'm still gonna have to keep replaying them if I can't beat the part that comes after those 45 minutes, which is fucking retarded.

I'd say those negative far outweigh the one positive  -- that if I've beaten a part out of luck, I might get slightly more skilled at the game.
#32 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @Icemael:  Except when you run out of lives and have to start the entire game over again. I also agree with what Odintal said; if you make a mistake and that leads to your death you can learn from it and once you do you are unlikely to do it again. It provides a sense of mastery."
Except the games that forced you to restart the entire game when you ran out of lives -- because many didn't -- were either operating under arcade logic (get the player to spend as many quarters as possible) or trying to give players a false sense of length, and therefore value. It was a business trick, not a great design choice that should be applauded and imitated.

@owl_of_minerva said:
"As for the rest of your post, reviews are a buyer's guide. People are free to read or not to read, I don't care about Famitsu's review practices and if they work for their audience to that end it's fine by me. I don't care to spread culturally insensitive opinions on matters that don't affect me, and neither should you. As for Western reviewers, they don't have much credibility either: read about standard review practices on the Escapist if you like. If you think journalism is concerned with critical judgement then you are sadly mistaken."
Nice strawman. I never said that all Western reviewers are flawless. I said that Famitsu's reviews are extremely untrustworthy, and that trying to explain that away with "cultural differences" horseshit is complete idiocy.
#33 Edited by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Icemael: you're either confused by my statement or twisting what I said to some extreme to further your own ideal. 
i'm guessing by the repeated use of "fucking retarded" that it's the second.  

i'm also guessing the civil part of our conversation is over so i'm taking my leave of it.
#34 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@Icemael:  Let me put it this way; given that the OP is trying to talk about how Japan experiences the game, I find it rude to shit on his game and a magazine that he reads. 
And yes, I mostly agree with you about Famitsu, except I think that the problems you identify with it could be based to some degree on cultural differences (as that very article you linked points out) and not just commercial pressures. They seem to love quite different games in Japan, so I'm not going to talk about as if I know their culture or their reviewing intrinsically well.
Sure, there is evidence of corruption, but pointing that out in an advertising industry isn't an earth-shattering revelation.
#35 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

I finally said Fuck this game once and for all. I have managed to get to the final boss many times  after 4 incredibly cheap sections of the game. There is NO skill  whatsoever in getting a gattling cannon and stanting there holding down the right trigger until whatever it is you are pointing at is dead. "oh I dodged that...why am I dead?" 

I'm sick of being blamed by team mates for failing when unluckily I'm the last one to die, I'm sick of failing a level because  the game doesn't understand how to convey what you are supposed to be doing 95% of the time. 

So much defence for this completely broken, almost unplayable game... it's funny because Bionic Commando is quite similar in many ways and got a ton of shit for the way it played. Lost Planet 2 comes along and does most of what that game did worse and everyone wants to defend if because they have some affection for the first one (which I enjoyed) Fuck this game. It has shitty, unrealistic achievements, is luck-based and features the worst online game, joining system for some time 

looks nice though. 

Famitsu are wrong
#36 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

They gave  final fantasy a 39/40  their argument is invalid .

#37 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@odintal: I know exactly what you said, and you know exactly what I said. If you're going to discredit my points because of profanity -- profanity aimed at the developers, not you -- I don't think you're the kind of person I want to have a conversation with. Good day. 

@owl_of_minerva: I'm shitting on poor design choices and reviews that aren't trustworthy, not the game as a whole or the entire nation's experience with the game.
#38 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@Icemael: I think his main point is that it wasn't always luck that gets him through areas that he's been through before. It's skill. He was just referring to OTHER games that have checkpoint systems that *might* have relied on luck due to varied AI tactics. So in a way, you may have misread his posts.
#39 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@bartok said:

" Always remember Famitsu gave a perfect score to Nintendogs. "

...and what about that score was not deserved?  Not only did Nintendogs do exactly what it said it was going to do, but it did it incredibly goddamn well.  I would've given that game a perfect score as well, and I don't like the idea of perfect scores. 

Also, Famitsu holds a ton of relevance, despite whatever rumors may exist.  People may think that they have something against Western games, yet they fail to realize that most of the games that the Western crowd have said are pretty fucking incredible...  Yeah, they've reviewed them favorably also.  Hell, Modern Warfare 2 got a 39/40, as did Grand Theft Auto IV.  Those are two games that are not very popular in the East.  Previous Tony Hawk games, Halo, God of War - they all get good scores. 

However, they are also an Eastern magazine, and in such, there is a very different level of design philosophy there.  Lost Planet 2 caters FAR more to an Eastern audience than it does a Western audience. 

So far, from what I've played of the game myself...which isn't much...there are DEFINITELY some issues I have with it, but it's mostly with the way the online is set up.  Yeah, losing progress in a mission sucks some balls, but at the same time, it makes me far more determined, and there is a great challenge in the game that I don't see in many other games.  The controls could use a little more sensitivity, but I'm not butt-hurt about it. 

The online seriously needs work, though, as getting into matches and even getting co-op started up is a royal goddamn pain in the ass.  You should get an achievement for waiting as long as you do on that shit to happen.  It's stupid. 

WITH ALL THAT SAID...I think Famitsu's score is still a bit high on the game, but whatever. 

Also...they need to stop giving out so many perfect scores.  Last year, they had four, and the year before that, three.  That's just ridiculous.  They already gave out one this year, and I'm sure that Mario Galaxy 2 will see one as well.
#40 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@Icemael: The reason I look at average reviews instead of 1 single because you get a sense of what everyone thinks on a whole. Reviews must be based on fact, the rest is opinion. A lot of reviewers say it's fun if you get passed the jankyness of the game. I'll say that on my play through, running with 4 guys with mics and co-ordinating well made the game fun, not the game itself. There is no one I have played with that disagrees the controls are a mess, the single and multiplayer game overall isn't good and the only thing really worth going through is the missions co-op, even the people that like it. 

I'll read the Giantbomb reviews exclusively, but you should always look at averages to get a better sense of the game, not that Metacritic is perfect or anything like that. Whatever the case, people will always whine and bitch when their game doesn't a high score........because forum posters are experts on everything.......obviously.  
#41 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Famitsu shouldn't really be trusted considering they are notorious for reviewing games highly as long as it comes with a roll of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.