Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

Giant Bomb at X10: Lost Planet 2 Co-Op

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
     10 years and some terraforming have changed E.D.N. III significantly.
    The ice may have melted on E.D.N. III, but there's still plenty of trouble to get into on the planet that served as host to the giant-bug-filled adventures of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. New to the experience in Lost Planet 2 will be the option to play through the single-player campaign cooperatively with up to four players, something I got to experience for myself first-hand at Microsoft's recent X10 event.

For Lost Planet 2, extending the single-player experience into a four-player cooperative experience is a no-brainer. Even when you're playing the game solo, you'll be rolling with a squad of AI-controlled teammates, so structurally, making it co-op is just a matter of swapping out automatons with real people. Cleverly, the co-op mode is built to accommodate players of varying skill levels. Completing mission objectives and killing the giant-ass bugs that populate Lost Planet 2 earns the team points, while player deaths, and the subsequent respawning, depletes points. So even if one of your teammates makes a regular habit of being on the wrong end of an Akrid, you can keep on truckin' as long as you keep your points in the black. Additionally, the thermal energy that kept you alive on the chilly tundra of Lost Planet is still a commodity here, and you can tap into it to restore health.

It had honestly been a while since I had wrangled with Lost Planet's unique control scheme, so it took me a couple of minutes to get my jungle legs and adjust to the way the grappling hook and weapons handled. This is a sequel that is clearly interested in maintaining the rhythms of its predecessor, though I did leave with the impression that the controls maybe felt a little quicker and a little sharper. Initially, the cooperative nature of the action didn't jump out at me, but after spending some time hunting around the jungle for special beacon towers to activate and occasionally shotgunning some Buick-sized Akrids, we moved onto a boss fight against what was described as a Level G5 Akrid--basically, a really, really big, really, really nasty bug.

It was here that the lack of coordination amongst my team led to our downfall, though not before I managed to toss a couple of grenades and then shoot them in mid-air, creating massive, awesome-looking fireballs. This was easily my most satisfying moment with Lost Planet 2, and it reminded me of just how impressive the special effects from the first game were. An additional, non sequiturial layer was added to the experience by the fact that we were playing as some of the recently revealed celebrity guest stars in Lost Planet 2, including Resident Evil's Albert Wesker, and Marcus and Dom from Gears of War. It didn't really have any impact on the actual gameplay, and they're all roughneck enough that they didn't look completely out of place gunning down giant jungle bugs, but it's still a peculiar addition to the game.

Capcom's found an interesting direction for Lost Planet 2--between the integral co-op experience and the significant shift in venue, it's exciting to see the publisher taking some chances, though without sacrificing the core feel of the original. Look forward to more coverage of Lost Planet 2 on Giant Bomb as the game's May 18th release date approaches.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    The ice may have melted on E.D.N. III, but there's still plenty of trouble to get into on the planet that served as host to the giant-bug-filled adventures of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition. New to the experience in Lost Planet 2 will be the option to play through the single-player campaign cooperatively with up to four players, something I got to experience for myself first-hand at Microsoft's recent X10 event.

For Lost Planet 2, extending the single-player experience into a four-player cooperative experience is a no-brainer. Even when you're playing the game solo, you'll be rolling with a squad of AI-controlled teammates, so structurally, making it co-op is just a matter of swapping out automatons with real people. Cleverly, the co-op mode is built to accommodate players of varying skill levels. Completing mission objectives and killing the giant-ass bugs that populate Lost Planet 2 earns the team points, while player deaths, and the subsequent respawning, depletes points. So even if one of your teammates makes a regular habit of being on the wrong end of an Akrid, you can keep on truckin' as long as you keep your points in the black. Additionally, the thermal energy that kept you alive on the chilly tundra of Lost Planet is still a commodity here, and you can tap into it to restore health.

It had honestly been a while since I had wrangled with Lost Planet's unique control scheme, so it took me a couple of minutes to get my jungle legs and adjust to the way the grappling hook and weapons handled. This is a sequel that is clearly interested in maintaining the rhythms of its predecessor, though I did leave with the impression that the controls maybe felt a little quicker and a little sharper. Initially, the cooperative nature of the action didn't jump out at me, but after spending some time hunting around the jungle for special beacon towers to activate and occasionally shotgunning some Buick-sized Akrids, we moved onto a boss fight against what was described as a Level G5 Akrid--basically, a really, really big, really, really nasty bug.

It was here that the lack of coordination amongst my team led to our downfall, though not before I managed to toss a couple of grenades and then shoot them in mid-air, creating massive, awesome-looking fireballs. This was easily my most satisfying moment with Lost Planet 2, and it reminded me of just how impressive the special effects from the first game were. An additional, non sequiturial layer was added to the experience by the fact that we were playing as some of the recently revealed celebrity guest stars in Lost Planet 2, including Resident Evil's Albert Wesker, and Marcus and Dom from Gears of War. It didn't really have any impact on the actual gameplay, and they're all roughneck enough that they didn't look completely out of place gunning down giant jungle bugs, but it's still a peculiar addition to the game.

Capcom's found an interesting direction for Lost Planet 2--between the integral co-op experience and the significant shift in venue, it's exciting to see the publisher taking some chances, though without sacrificing the core feel of the original. Look forward to more coverage of Lost Planet 2 on Giant Bomb as the game's May 18th release date approaches.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Rhaknar

i loved the first one, and those explosions still look awesome today :P

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

This seems more Jun Takeichu's style, too bad he couldn't just stuck to this instead of his work on RE5 =/
    Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Icil

I was a little tripped up by how the demo had a more zoomed in camera, but otherwise it plays a lot smoother. 

I'd want to play as Wesker.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Did you get a look at the split-screen co-op? I have zero interest in the online multiplayer, but if the local co-operative mode is good, this is a day one purchase.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunnBjorn

Ah, it's still the same planet...! 
    I get it now, to an extent. 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

The picture of Marcus is disappointing.  What is he doing without the Lancer??  I expect the ability to chainsaw bugs when I play as him or Dom.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

The game looks interesting, gonna keep an eye out on it now. Thanks for the write up Ryan! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it doesn't impact the story, I like inter-game cameos.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Andorski said:
    " The picture of Marcus is disappointing.  What is he doing without the Lancer??  I expect the ability to chainsaw bugs when I play as him or Dom. "
    Or rather you mean what is he doing in Lost Planet 2??  Maybe they think if they put some characters from other good third person shooters, it will improve their game?  I don't know, but I'm going to avoid this one.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman

The first one never clicked with me but I'll give it another shot.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Lilarcor

I wonder if they're getting the voice actors for these cameo characters or not. The climate change would give Wesker a perfect excuse to reuse the "complete global saturation" line.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By baconbits33

Idk, I like Marcus and Dom those two guys are in my opinion two of the best badass video game characters ever made, so you know I actually would like to play them in this, it actually makes me want to buy it because in the first game I didn't really feel like I could connect with the characters however in Gears of War the story is very well done so I actually can connect with Marcus and Dom a lot better, even if they don't impact the story it's still really cool playing with those two badass mofo's.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By rjaylee

Am I the only person completely surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet that playing as these other characters isn't a DLC bonus or pre-order bonus of the sorts? 

Assuming that this offers nothing other than the altered visual look, they could make tons of money off of this as a DLC or pre-order bonus.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Rockdalf

As long as the cameo appearances don't affect gameplay in the least, I wouldn't mind it one bit.  Not that I'll probably end up buying this one anyway :(

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

I really love what Capcom have done with all aspects of this sequel, that includes the controls which are definitely sharper on the evidence of the MP demo that was released a couple of months back.  If I have one tiny complaint, it would be that I think the grappling wire could be a touch longer that it appears to be. On another note, MT Framework has never looked as good as it does in this game.

I can't wait, I expect Capcom to deliver with this one.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MaddProdigy

I disagree with the whole marcus and dom thing. Feels awkward to see them there, too gamey. Otherwise, likin the sound of really huge bosses and sweet explosions!

Undesired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Undesired

Wesker is in = sold

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sinatra

I loved the first one so I am pretty much sold on getting the second Lost Planet. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.