Lost Planet 2: First Reviews

• 0 results
#1 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

IGN just posted their review - going to read it and post my thoughts in a few minutes. Even if numbers don't mean shit a 6/10 is a hard bash. 
IGN Smokes Crack

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Gameplay
The controls respond poorly, co-op is implemented badly, and the level design is awful. The foundation of Lost Planet 2 is its biggest issue.

I never had issues with controls when I played it. *Well the demo* 
#3 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -
#4 Posted by groin (854 posts) -

Joystiq took a dump on the game as well.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (10067 posts) -

I knew this game wouldn't get good reviews, but I love Lost Planet enough to play this one.

#6 Posted by Solh0und (1832 posts) -

Well OXM gave it a 80 saying this: 
" If you can weather the campaign's slow start and the game's wildly overwrought menu system, you'll find more than enough incredible content here to satisfy your Akrid-killing, giant robot-piloting fix    " 

I wouldn't listen to IGN much. Their reviews are kinda lackluster

#7 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -
@solh0und said:
" Well OXM gave it a 80 saying this: " If you can weather the campaign's slow start and the game's wildly overwrought menu system, you'll find more than enough incredible content here to satisfy your Akrid-killing, giant robot-piloting fix    "  I wouldn't listen to IGN much. Their reviews are kinda lackluster "
IGN's reviews have been awful for a good while, but they seem to be pretty accurate on this one. Disappointing, the game as been hyped up for a while now.
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@groin said:
" Joystiq took a dump on the game as well. "
I sort of lost faith with Joystiq after the Nier hissy fit. 
#9 Posted by ATrevelan (606 posts) -

I'm not so sure that slower means "tactical." You're basically moving at the same speed as in the original game, and I'd hardly call that "tactical." Sure, maybe there's a few extra players, but by all accounts the AI is really awful, so they're not really "tactical" either. Oh, and you take down enemies by shooting massive glowing weak points. Again, doesn't quite fit the standard of "tactical." 

This game smacks of a bunch of neat ideas that could have really made it stand out, but they were implemented so poorly that they ultimately drag the experience down. And I'm someone who LIKED the original game. A lot. 

The reviews aren't saying LP2 is bad, just incredibly mediocre, and the scores reflect that.

#10 Posted by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -

Damn, this was going to be a sure buy when I got back home...but now it's looking more like a rent first situation.

#11 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

I can't believe they kept the extremely frustrating and slow character animations from the first game. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that saw that as Lost Planet's biggest flaw. Nothing is more aggravating than getting stuck in a stumbling animation death-loop because of your character's ineptness.

#12 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I'll be online to join you, once it's out here in the UK.

#13 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

If you like Lost Planet, then you like Lost Planet. If you hate it, then you hate it. It's fucking Lost Planet. It's a solid game. I beat the first one on Extreme. Bow down to me! That was hard stuff...

#14 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I really need a decent co-op game, and this works for me. The first wasn't too bad.

#15 Posted by Vonocourt (2160 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin: I loved the first one, so much so I bought the terrible PS3 port because I ddin't have a 360 at the time, and I liked the co-op demo. 

But the idea of repeating forty-five minute long sections is definitely a bummer.
#16 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

people that rely on reviews are morons 
I fucking loved both demos so really any bad or good review of this game can suck it.

#17 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with the controls. People say they are clunky because they weren't copy and pasted from another shooter. Don't bash the game because its not a COD, Halo, GOW clone

#18 Posted by VincentVendetta (270 posts) -

If Capcom released a downloadable-only Lost Planet with only mutliplayer versus, I would be sold, because the multiplayer is the only, and I mean ONLY good thing about Lost Planet. I bought Lost Planet: Extreme Condition for the PS3 just because I loved the multiplayer demo and its twist on shooters, and I also really enjoyed the multiplayer demo for this game too. It's just a shame that the rest of the game kinda sucks. The shooting is a bit clunky, the story isn't very interesting and most of all, it's not fun to shoot bugs over and over again! It's boring! Even when you get a mech, you're still shooting bugs!

I loved the multiplayer because of all the things it added to the shooter genre; how the body reacts to getting shot, the grapling hook, the data posts who gives you pressure as you must look out for enemy soldiers, I played it a lot. Sadly, the problem with Lost Planet online is.. well... you gotta play Lost Planet. And that's very sad.

#19 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

There are no checkpoints between missions, meaning you'll need to complete a full chapter to save your progress in Lost Planet 2, which can often take more than an hour to play through. This means that should you die near the end of a chapter trying to figure out what the game wants you to do, which it never really tells you, you'll have to play the whole thing over again.

Duder, that SUCKS!
#20 Posted by GunstarRed (5405 posts) -

I'm getting this game as I had a ton of fun with the first game on and offline... but this no checkpointing thing  between missions seems like an utterly bizarre decision considering how much they have talked about wanting to appeal to a western audience.  I'm pretty certain it won't be that a big a deal for me and  a few others but  that kind of thing is really going to turn a ton of people off of the game.
#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

It seems like your liking for the game is testimate to your tolerance to Japanese-based action design. 

#22 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

I don't normally pay attention to the reviews at IGN, but Arthur Gies is a good reviewer, and I'll reserve judgement until I hear his opinion on Rebel FM.

#23 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

does anyone know if there will be a PC release for this game? Im only hesitating to get this for my PS3 because of the possibility for a PC release. If there will be none then I'm likely to pick this up on the PS3. Its just that I'll prioritize the PC version because of the fact I enjoyed the 1st LP and RE5 on the PC more than its console version.

#24 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
"

Gameplay
The controls respond poorly, co-op is implemented badly, and the level design is awful. The foundation of Lost Planet 2 is its biggest issue.

I never had issues with controls when I played it. *Well the demo*  "
For me it controlled terribly.
#25 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Don't worry about reviews, Lost Planet has some qualities similar to Monster Hunter, ie, very different from Western developers' (and players') take on a given mechanic, so some people just can't grasp that. Maybe even more so since it's a shooter and not a melee focused game of which there aren't many. I'm not saying it's great either since I haven't played it obviously, but yeah, reviewers can be wrong. Most are positive, but a few REALLY low bring down the average.

What The Critics Said

90 Everyeye.it

Lost Planet 2 is a splendid action game. The charm of new locations, the cooperative aspect greatly stressed, and the exalting look of MT Framework 2.0 are the main elements of a cool gaming experience.

Read Full Review >

85 MS Xbox World

Capcom has done well to reinvent the series in Lost Planet 2, which is similar in many ways to its predecessor, but feels fresh enough to be classed almost as a new game entirely.

Read Full Review >

83 SpazioGames

Capcom has chosen to make this sequel a cooperative action game, and the result is undoubtedly solid. Playing the main campaign with three friends can give a lot of satisfaction and the boss fights are simply awesome. Unfortunately playing solo you will find a lacking friend AI. Good graphics and a competitive multiplayer mode complete the nice offer of Lost Planet 2.

Read Full Review >

82 3DJuegos

While Lost Planet 2 is not a must play for everyone, its great on-line options and nice co-op playing makes us forget the lack of interest from Capcom in telling a good story or crafting a nice AI for our foes.

Read Full Review >

80 Meristation

Lost Planet 2 is one of the best co-op that we have seen. It has the same AI problems that we saw in its first part... but its great multiplayer doesn't need it.

Read Full Review >

80 Eurogamer Italy

Although the substantial lack of gameplay innovations and the excessive attention towards multiplayer can’t be ignored, Lost Planet 2 proves to be a bigger and better and more engaging product than the first chapter of the franchise. Anyone in search of an entertaining and fun multiplayer experience should consider this purchase; those interested more at the single player should, on the other hand, be more careful.

Read Full Review >

80 Pelit (Finland)

Although Lost Planet 2 definitely has its moments, it fails to deliver most of its potential. If you can overlook the infuriating difficulty level, lack of checkpoints, stupid AI and the overall imbalance, the highlights offer an exciting thrill ride. You can go bonkers in so many ways with this game. [Apr 2010]

80 Official Xbox Magazine UK

Everything's improved except the controls. [May 2010, p.87]

Read Full Review >

80 Official Xbox Magazine

If you can weather the campaign's slow start and the game's wildly overwrought menu system, you'll find more than enough incredible content here to satisfy your Akrid-killing, giant robot-piloting fix. [June 2010, p.74]

80 GameZone

While the single-player portion feels like an afterthought due to repetitive mission design and weak AI, the multiplayer element carries the experience well and should keep you invested.

Read Full Review >

79 Games Master UK

An epic co-op experience but it loses points for poor AI and a scrappy offline experience. [June 2010, p.76]

77 Vandal Online

Capcom has made a strong bet for multiplayer in Lost Planet, and it has achieved it. But has not paid enough attention to the single player.

Read Full Review >

70 VideoGamer

It feels like a completely different experience with real players at your side; an experience that betters the original and features some of the most intense, visually stunning battles we've seen on this generation of consoles. Just know what you're getting yourself into. It's hard, frustrating and at times a very unfair.

Read Full Review >

68 IGN UK

At its core it's a potentially great action game and it's very good-looking, but it explains itself so incredibly poorly and has such an awkward structure and poor checkpointing that a lot of the fun is ruined by interminable frustration – not to mention the fact that it's basically unplayable as a single-player game.

Read Full Review >

60 IGN

Just do yourself a favor: buy some insurance for the controller you'll invariably throw across the room at one of Lost Planet 2's seemingly endless design and interface issues.

Read Full Review >

60 GamePro

Hardcore fans of the original's online modes might find enough to justify a purchase, but the monotonous campaign and overall lackluster design makes it hard to recommend to anyone else. And if you didn't care for the original, don't expect anything in Lost Planet 2 to drastically sway your opinion.

Read Full Review >
#26 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" There is nothing wrong with the controls. People say they are clunky because they weren't copy and pasted from another shooter. Don't bash the game because its not a COD, Halo, GOW clone "
I respectfully disagree.

Nobody is saying it copies those games outright. Everyone can admit the animations are slow. Just get a stop watch. And everybody can admit the controls aren't nearly as responsive as we're used to. You give me a good reason to defend it, and I'll give you a good reason why your right.

Not a bad game, an average game....
#27 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

The controls will probably make or break this for some people.

#28 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" There is nothing wrong with the controls. People say they are clunky because they weren't copy and pasted from another shooter. Don't bash the game because its not a COD, Halo, GOW clone "
...I think you should exercise thought before posting.

That being said, I don't think this game will be amazing. I do however, think it'll be enjoyable regardless. Especially co-op.
#29 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#30 Posted by Solh0und (1832 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Well the first one got a 7.9 and this one got a 7.2 from them. Not too shabby
#31 Posted by Corpsegrinder (78 posts) -

Lost Planet is a game that is definitely not for everyone. The controls take a lot of getting used to and the difficulty can be a bit much for most people. I can't wait.

#32 Posted by Mystyr_E (1205 posts) -

why do I get the feeling this is one of those games that you absolutely want to play and ignore the bad reviews yet pick up and go "wow....okay, should've listened." Reviews are subjective yes but when nearly every review I've read so far mentions the game's beyond frustrating, it is cause for concern

#33 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Mystyr_E: Like said already, most reviews are positive, but the ones that are negative are REALLY negative, see my last comment. There have been more negative reviews since but also a few more positive ones.
#34 Posted by BassTek (3 posts) -
@Mystyr_E said:
" why do I get the feeling this is one of those games that you absolutely want to play and ignore the bad reviews yet pick up and go "wow....okay, should've listened." Reviews are subjective yes but when nearly every review I've read so far mentions the game's beyond frustrating, it is cause for concern "
This is worrying me as well.  I know the first one wasn't received by the masses all that well yet I still enjoyed it.  I was excited for Lost Planet 2, but all these reviews are making me pause and wonder if I should cancel my pre-order and wait it out.  At least until a price drop or a sale.  Tough decision.
#35 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -
@Mystyr_E said:
" why do I get the feeling this is one of those games that you absolutely want to play and ignore the bad reviews yet pick up and go "wow....okay, should've listened." Reviews are subjective yes but when nearly every review I've read so far mentions the game's beyond frustrating, it is cause for concern "
It's going to depend on the cause of the frustration. Is it because I suck or was it a cheap death? 
I can deal quite well with the first but the second is just an way to inflate the game's length.
#36 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:

Don't presume that people who think the controls suck want it to play more like COD, Halo, GOW. That's such a lazy rebut and it makes you look like an infant.  
"Well if you have a problem with the game go play Halo". Fucking dumb logic. Bad controls are bad controls.
#37 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -

Harsh review, but still going to pick it up cause I loved the first game. Gave me a real Starship Troopers vibe with the big bugs.

#38 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @trophyhunter said:

Don't presume that people who think the controls suck want it to play more like COD, Halo, GOW. That's such a lazy rebut and it makes you look like an infant.  "Well if you have a problem with the game go play Halo". Fucking dumb logic. Bad controls are bad controls. "
Because a lot of review plainly say "the controls are really clunky because they are not like that of other 3rd person shooters."
#39 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

6/10 = above average.

#40 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

" @trophyhunter said:

Don't presume that people who think the controls suck want it to play more like COD, Halo, GOW. That's such a lazy rebut and it makes you look like an infant.  "Well if you have a problem with the game go play Halo". Fucking dumb logic. Bad controls are bad controls. "
That you don't like them doesn't mean they're bad. Different strokes for different folks. I thought they were the game's best (and a great) aspect which made the game fun despite its limited arcade-like scope and repetition, and looked forward to playing with a similar style in a bigger and better game when LP2 was announced. I'll certainly try it out when the PC version is out despite what reviews say as I thought they bashed the first for the wrong reasons too.
#41 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

To be fair, the first game did not receive a fascinating review either.

#42 Posted by masterpaperlink (1869 posts) -

Yeah this seems to be getting the same spectrum of reviews the first one did (though to OH SHII factor is gone), im not too worried.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Reviewers often complain that games are too easy, then they complain when games are too hard.  Reviewers, these games are not made for you, they're not designed so that you can fit them into your tight schedules and then move on.  The Lost Planet games are designed for hardcore players to enjoy.  They are not Halo, Gears of War or Modern Warfare 2 experiences.

#44 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

I really didn't like the controls in the demo, so it's not suprising that gameplay is frowned upon.
I like the shooting, but the jumping/grappling is SUCH a pain in the ass. Will check it out probably.

#45 Posted by jakob187 (21735 posts) -

Here's all I have to say: 

Monster Hunter 3, rated 8.8 by IGN

They commend the controls (which are commonly considered slow and sluggish). 
They commend the challenge involved in repeatedly fighting the same bosses over and over to learn their patterns, while mentioning that this style of play may not be for everyone.
They talk about how "laziness and lack of focus can swiftly lead to failure", talking about the level of challenge that the game presents. 

Essentially, that review took the game for WHAT IT WAS, not WHAT THEY WANTED IT TO BE!  This Lost Planet 2 review seems like they are basically saying "hey, we thought this was going to be Gears of War...and it's not". 

I could go on forever, but to commend a game like Monster Hunter 3 which has a lot of the same "limitations" that Lost Planet 2 shares (specific control designs and speeds, lengthy "activation" animations, etc.)...then BASH Lost Planet 2 for the same shit...is just asinine in my eyes.

#46 Posted by natetodamax (19217 posts) -

Gamespot totally did not like the game.

#47 Posted by jakob187 (21735 posts) -
@BassTek said:
"I know the first one wasn't received by the masses all that well yet I still enjoyed it."
?!  Where have you been living?  Lost Planet was not only a commercial and critical success, but it saw an updated version being released at a lower price point that added even more to the game because the fanbase was so dedicated to it.
#48 Edited by Kintaro (120 posts) -
@natetodamax: I think that's an understatement. :P

Kevin VanOrd gives it 5.5. That's what got me into this thread in the first place. Some of the video footage made me cringe and conclude that I will never play this game ever.

Review Here.
#49 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I always thought it would flop, however not that much.

#50 Posted by Sackmanjones (4785 posts) -

Man I liked the first too

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.