Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 11, 2010

In the follow-up to Lost Planet, players explore new environments as they see the story through the perspective of different groups of pirates trying to survive on E.D.N. III.

The Ins And Outs Of Lost Planet 2

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    The creatures you're up against aren't small.
    The original Lost Planet was a neat game with some frustrating points both in structure and in performance. Something about the way it moved and felt just felt sluggish, like the developers were prioritizing the game's animation over its control. But hey, you probably already know that.

The good news is that Lost Planet 2's control feels better and more attentive to your inputs. Along with that, the game's co-op mode is going to let you take on some big-ass bosses as you work your way through the campaign. The in-game cooperation reveals itself with some cool, basic stuff, like the way one player can jump into a Vital Suit (the game's fancy word for "mech") and other players can climb onto the sides to hitch a ride. But the boss fight itself also goes more smoothly if you've got help.

Like in the previous game, the bosses in Lost Planet 2 have glowing weak points. The big salamander-type thing I was blasting has a glowing cylinder poking out of its back, and as you shoot it, the cylinder drops into the beast's body, making it inaccessible from the outside. Naturally, the only answer is to get inside. At certain points, the creature makes its mouth available, and if you get close, it'll swallow you up, giving you the chance to run around inside for a bit. When you eventually find the same glowing cylinder, you can shoot it from the inside, forcing it back out, where your co-op friend can hang out and shoot it some more. That back and forth stuff looked pretty cool, right up to the point where the boss gets tired of having armed men up inside of him and craps you out. Ick.

It's a pretty cool idea and it felt like a big boss fight. Apparently it's one of the smaller fights in the game. Check out this quick interview we shot with Capcom's Frank Filice for more.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    The original Lost Planet was a neat game with some frustrating points both in structure and in performance. Something about the way it moved and felt just felt sluggish, like the developers were prioritizing the game's animation over its control. But hey, you probably already know that.

The good news is that Lost Planet 2's control feels better and more attentive to your inputs. Along with that, the game's co-op mode is going to let you take on some big-ass bosses as you work your way through the campaign. The in-game cooperation reveals itself with some cool, basic stuff, like the way one player can jump into a Vital Suit (the game's fancy word for "mech") and other players can climb onto the sides to hitch a ride. But the boss fight itself also goes more smoothly if you've got help.

Like in the previous game, the bosses in Lost Planet 2 have glowing weak points. The big salamander-type thing I was blasting has a glowing cylinder poking out of its back, and as you shoot it, the cylinder drops into the beast's body, making it inaccessible from the outside. Naturally, the only answer is to get inside. At certain points, the creature makes its mouth available, and if you get close, it'll swallow you up, giving you the chance to run around inside for a bit. When you eventually find the same glowing cylinder, you can shoot it from the inside, forcing it back out, where your co-op friend can hang out and shoot it some more. That back and forth stuff looked pretty cool, right up to the point where the boss gets tired of having armed men up inside of him and craps you out. Ick.

It's a pretty cool idea and it felt like a big boss fight. Apparently it's one of the smaller fights in the game. Check out this quick interview we shot with Capcom's Frank Filice for more.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DECA555

looks good 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#3  Edited By Brackynews

Lost Planet 2, now with more fully articulating waists!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

"prioritizing animation over control" hmm much like killzone 2....

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Gump

Really fantastic. I liked a lot the first one.
    Looking forward to the sequel!

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phlegms

Meh, I kind of feel like this sequel is unnecessary. Lost Planet really wasn't that great.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Every aspect of the game design seems much improve over the original.  The game is looking awesome.. cannot wait to see these huge bosses the game has in store.

A boss sh**ing you out is awesome revenge.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkjester74

That's the most brilliant idea for a boss battle I have ever heard.  Awesome!

lala_land

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lala_land

i'm kinda meh on this. the first one was OK -- this looks tame.

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Scieran

Honestly, I'm suprised they're still making a sequel even after the first one's a piece of shit.

Avatar image for chocolatecoffin
    ChocolateCoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ChocolateCoffin

Can't wait.

InsanePotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By InsanePotato

Great to see what they're doing with the boss battles. Multiple points of attacks inside and out. Have all your buddies working on different targets all at once looks like a lot of fun to try and coordinate and pull off without having someone die.

Can't wait to see how big these things actually get. Doubt they'll beat serious sam though :D.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#13  Edited By jacksukeru

Jeff said: "The in-game cooperation reveals itself with some cool, basic stuff, like the way one player can jump into a Vital Suit (the game's fancy word for "mech")"

Which itself is just a fancy word for giant robot :P

I liked the original, frustrating parts aside. It's good to hear the control seems to have been improved, gives me hope for less frustration.
    JestSpider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JestSpider

I loved the first one, itwas refreshing to actually play a hard game for a change, can't wait for 4 player co-op.....just hope that for competitive mulit player they take out the annoying bunny hop

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Why does everyone hate the first one? I thought the multiplayer was butt loads of fun. I mean, Rolling around, epic explosions, grapple hook, disk grenades, headshots, no fall damage, new camo and character models for each level...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

lmao, ITS HOTTER!! ITS HOTTEST!

@WilliamRLBaker said:
    " "prioritizing animation over control" hmm much like killzone 2.... "
    You are the most insecure fanboy in the world. 
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Media_Master

Animations plus HUGE Bosses and tighter controls = looking forward to it!

blazer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blazer89
    @Scieran said:
    " Honestly, I'm suprised they're still making a sequel even after the first one's a piece of shit. "
    well...the first lost planet did sell over 2 million unit,and its not that bad!
    the graphics was awesome!!
    and i really liked the multiplayer !
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

It was funny that people actually though that the game was going to be exclusive to 360.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By dudacles

Really looking forward to this.

MonstroUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MonstroUK
    @phlegms said:
    " Meh, I kind of feel like this sequel is unnecessary. Lost Planet really wasn't that great. "
    Some of us think it was excellent and can't wait to get more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.