Why Lost Planet 2's story mode is a missed opportunity

#1 Posted by DEllen (149 posts) -

So I have Lost Planet 2 early and have played a fair bit of the story mode. 

The game seems good, great in parts. If only as a player these good moments weren't so littered among a mess of a save system and co-op system. 
First off the save system. Playing the game on your own is reasonably fun. It's how i started out playing and have played quite a bit, but some of the levels are designed in a way that becomes infuriating on your own. This is made worse by the way levels are split up. There are Episodes which are then split out in to 3 Chapters. To get through a whole episode takes roughly an hour and you can only save at the end of these episodes. Failing on a final "boss fight" of a chapter causes you to restart the whole episode. 45 minutes of slow, generic third person shooter repeated over and over soon becomes aggravating beyond belief. Why there is no way to save between chapters is beyond me. It seems like a truly terrible choice. 

After I became annoyed with retrying on my own I decided to enlist the help of some real players. Co-op once again is a mess. The whole single player is designed with co-op in mind and it still suffers from the terrible save system. What might have saved the game for me would have been drop in co-op. Having to search for a game and see the many games "playing" but not actually being allowed to play is once again frustrating. Having to trawl through the list of 32 to find the one game you can join is frustrating. Getting in to that game and failing on  
that final "boss fight" because one incompetent player repeatedly falls in the water and commits suicide is frustrating. 

Lost Planet 2 could be fun if you have a team of people you know willing to play through the game with you. Parts of the game are really very good, it looks great and has some great set pieces but all of this is overshadowed by some truly terrible choices. I wish i could find it fun. 

As for the versus I played one game with 2 other guys. due to the lower player count I can't really speak for much but the map design seemed good and I think i could really enjoy the versus.

#2 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

yuch that sounds terrible, I didn't like the demo anyway as the game still feels too 'eastern' for my liking (as it's a shooter) so I'll pass.

thanks for the heads up though

#3 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

Sounds like they went backwards on everything except for the graphics with this game. Shame really.

#4 Posted by Icemael (6354 posts) -

So the game pulls a Devil May Cry on you every time you fail? 

Fuck that.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (22274 posts) -

Should of expected no less from that googly eyed twat, Jun Takeuchi.

#6 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

Damn, I really wanted to get this game too. Meh I'll still get it but it's sad to hear about these design choices.

#7 Edited by Icemael (6354 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

"It seems to me as if both design decisions are ultimately trying to raise your skill level with being harsh on players."

Forcing players to repeatedly play through a 45 minute long part they've already beaten -- and might not have had any trouble with -- because they can't beat the part that comes after that does in no way raise their skill level. All it does is frustrate.
#8 Edited by DEllen (149 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Yeah I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes. That does seem like a valid point although I do almost wish I had played the game on easy from the start. For the most part the levels are not at all hard on normal, but on your own some sections can become very hard, purely because you don't have other people able to flank and what not.  
Or the boss battles where you basically have to take all the attacks being aimed at you and do pretty much all of the damage yourself because the AI wont do much.
#9 Posted by csl316 (9237 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

"It seems to me as if both design decisions are ultimately trying to raise your skill level with being harsh on players."

Forcing players to repeatedly play through a 45 minute long part they've already beaten -- and might not have had any trouble with -- because they can't beat the part that comes after that does in no way raise their skill level. All it does is frustrate. "
Welcome to the early days of gaming.  Though I agree that a quarter decade of game design evolution should have taught Capcom a thing or two.

Are there checkpoints between Chapters, at least?  Not save opportunities, but just standard checkpoints upon death?
#10 Posted by DEllen (149 posts) -
@csl316: Well there are data posts which are basically respawn points, but you have a "battle gauge" which basically tells you how many lives you have left. It's annoying how you can't even pause the game when you're playing on your own. 
#11 Posted by l4wd0g (2010 posts) -

For what I have seen and played, it seems like Lost Planet 2 is a dumb down (or appealing to the not so hard core) version of Monster Hunter.

#12 Posted by Brendan (7994 posts) -

This isn't surprising, the game hasn't got many good reviews. 
#13 Posted by DEllen (149 posts) -
@SteamPunkJin: It's more the fact that the game is designed with co-op in mind and by doing that playing on your own has been neglected. Then co-op is so poorly integrated. It just seems like some really half assed way of doing things.
#14 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (303 posts) -
@DEllen:
Great post, do you have any thoughts as to why Japanese developers cant get a handle on online? With tons of great examples thus far this generation you would think they would get a handle on it. Is Japan just too tradionalist? I believe Jun Takeuchi  (games producer) has stated that getting the higher ups at Capcom to change with the times is very difficult. 

Capcom especially has not gotten its online very well. Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter IV and now Lost Planet 2 have all had some pretty lackluster online matchmaking and such. Do you think this bodes well for Dead Rising 2 and its multiplayer modes? Though the game is being made by a western developer, the game from all accounts is very very much like its predessor. Whether it translates to the online, who knows.
#15 Posted by DEllen (149 posts) -
@IIGrayFoxII: It's most likely due to in Japan people know quite a few others that are willing to play through games for long stretches and are reasonably skilled/ will use good teamwork. That formula doesn't really work across the rest of the world. We probably won't see any huge change to the way online works coming from Capcom since they still aren't designing with a western audience in mind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.