Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Love

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Mar 25, 2010

Love is the brainchild of indie developer Eskil Steenberg. Love has been described as a City building MMOFPS, although it has also been called a moderately multi-player FPS. The game features city building and exploration, as well as combat.

All you need is love

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

My housemate showed me Minecraft the other day.

I watched some gameplay on youtube, then experimented myself with the web-based version. The most striking thing about Minecraft is both it's similarity and inferiority to LOVE, the MMO made by a man called Eskil Steenberg. The key factors to the success of Minecraft seem to be it's adaptability and it's accessibility. Namely:  
    • It's free (the Classic version is, anyway)
    • it has the potential for amazing player created content and  
    • it's easy (EDIT: Easier) to play and share that content with your friends.

Mincraft 
    Mincraft 

LOVE is none of those things.

Complicated, convoluted, awkward and occasionally downright crippled. But LOVE demonstrates an ongoing patchwork production that pushes and probes it's own capabilities within a virtual environment, continually growing and changing of it's own algorithmic accord. There is an evolution to LOVE that demonstrates both reflection and ingenuity of both social and mechanical consequence. Having spent time with LOVE I can't help but feel Minecraft is a poor substitute. If anything, the success of Minecraft makes me disappointed that Eskil was shortsighted enough with his design choices to prevent his own success - obscuring his own game and allowing it to be beaten at the post by a free, simplified competitor. 

LOVE
     LOVE

Maybe i'm being too shallow here. The concept of competitiveness does not immediately spring to mind when playing LOVE so I should probably refrain from applying it as a critical device. Perhaps that's the charm of LOVE in itself. It remains untouched by the hordes of farmville players, the plagues of transformice and minecraft crusaders that could unwittingly overwhelm it's temperamental and fragile design. LOVE does not need the mainstream, nor does it deserve it.  Perhaps levels of narcissism should be tolerated to prevent the casual from becoming casualties. 

Fuck, I need to start playing that game again.  

LOVE
     LOVE

I'm excited for the new Atlus game, Catherine.   

It's an abstract kind of excitement. There is currently no outward indication of it's existence, it is merely an underlying understanding that excitement is taking place, somewhere, as a constant state. This will continue until further notice. Or until the damn game gets released.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

My housemate showed me Minecraft the other day.

I watched some gameplay on youtube, then experimented myself with the web-based version. The most striking thing about Minecraft is both it's similarity and inferiority to LOVE, the MMO made by a man called Eskil Steenberg. The key factors to the success of Minecraft seem to be it's adaptability and it's accessibility. Namely:  
    • It's free (the Classic version is, anyway)
    • it has the potential for amazing player created content and  
    • it's easy (EDIT: Easier) to play and share that content with your friends.

Mincraft 
    Mincraft 

LOVE is none of those things.

Complicated, convoluted, awkward and occasionally downright crippled. But LOVE demonstrates an ongoing patchwork production that pushes and probes it's own capabilities within a virtual environment, continually growing and changing of it's own algorithmic accord. There is an evolution to LOVE that demonstrates both reflection and ingenuity of both social and mechanical consequence. Having spent time with LOVE I can't help but feel Minecraft is a poor substitute. If anything, the success of Minecraft makes me disappointed that Eskil was shortsighted enough with his design choices to prevent his own success - obscuring his own game and allowing it to be beaten at the post by a free, simplified competitor. 

LOVE
     LOVE

Maybe i'm being too shallow here. The concept of competitiveness does not immediately spring to mind when playing LOVE so I should probably refrain from applying it as a critical device. Perhaps that's the charm of LOVE in itself. It remains untouched by the hordes of farmville players, the plagues of transformice and minecraft crusaders that could unwittingly overwhelm it's temperamental and fragile design. LOVE does not need the mainstream, nor does it deserve it.  Perhaps levels of narcissism should be tolerated to prevent the casual from becoming casualties. 

Fuck, I need to start playing that game again.  

LOVE
     LOVE

I'm excited for the new Atlus game, Catherine.   

It's an abstract kind of excitement. There is currently no outward indication of it's existence, it is merely an underlying understanding that excitement is taking place, somewhere, as a constant state. This will continue until further notice. Or until the damn game gets released.

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

Minecraft isn't free, and the way in which the game fragments its save system make it incredibly hard to share content. I don't wanna rain down on you hard, but..well, that.

However, you should play Minecraft. It's amazing. I anticipate the Multiplayer becoming much more open ended when server side inventory management comes in.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Fallen189 said:
    " Minecraft isn't free, and the way in which the game fragments its save system make it incredibly hard to share content. I don't wanna rain down on you hard, but..well, that.  However, you should play Minecraft. It's amazing. I anticipate the Multiplayer becoming much more open ended when server side inventory management comes in. "
    The classic version is free. I haven't played the other version but I gather it's pretty similar? 

And ok, maybe I am slightly misinformed of just how easy it is to share content (my housemate is a fucking liar) but at least it's possible. You can host your own servers and save stuff. In LOVE if you build something there is a strong chance it will either be destroyed by enemies or other players within about 20 minutes.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fallen189
    @Sweep said:
    " @Fallen189 said:
    " Minecraft isn't free, and the way in which the game fragments its save system make it incredibly hard to share content. I don't wanna rain down on you hard, but..well, that.  However, you should play Minecraft. It's amazing. I anticipate the Multiplayer becoming much more open ended when server side inventory management comes in. "
    The classic version is free. I haven't played the other version but I gather it's pretty similar? 

And ok, maybe I am slightly misinformed of just how easy it is to share content (my housemate is a fucking liar) but at least it's possible. You can host your own servers and save stuff. In LOVE if you build something there is a strong chance it will either be destroyed by enemies or other players within about 20 minutes. "
    I'll throw in the assist and fill in the missed thing for you.

There's two modes in Minecraft. One is called "Creative", where you get an infinite amount of every block ingame, allowing you to basically create anything, which is how the huge city in your screenshot was made. I think this is what you and/or your roomate referred to as that. For that end, I apologise and yeah, that's where you make your death stars, and pixel art dicks etc.

Infdev is the other gametype, the one you'd have to pay for. It's the one in which you play in an open world, and have to do everything yourself. You cut down trees, mine rock and so on. I made a couple of threads about it in the MC forum actually. It all depends on what you like really. Creative is good for just making outlandish shit with little to no work, but infdev is the "real game", for want of a less crass analogy.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Fallen189: Ah ok, cheers. That makes a lot more sense. 

In love you basically pick one of several servers (you can swap any time) and it basically just dumps you on a planet. You can walk all the way around it if you want to, but the game is basically about collecting tokens, then using them to build a settlement. Planted tokens give you access to tools and objects you can place to expand and customize your town, as well as weapons and defensive items. There isn't actually much in the way of resources, but everything needs power - which can either be diverted from lightwells or windmills. Those beams of light need to be directed by a series of mirrors back to your cities power core - where it can then be directed at other tokens or used to generate power cells which players can pick up to use the tools they are carrying. It all gets a little complicated if I go any further, but basically that world continues to function whether there are players in the server or not. And by "function" I mean the landscape shifts and the enemy AI cities will attack and continue to expand their own cities.  

Here's a slightly dated introduction: 

In retrospect they are very different games, but I think they have a lot of parallels that justify the comparisons in this blog.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallen189

That sounds really cool. I believe (But can't confirm) that a game called " Wurm online" is quite similar to that. On the PC Gamer UK podcast, they used to talk about this vast open world, in which players could actively affect the environment with mad made structures. They persist, of course, but I don't think there's NPC based interaction forced by the AI.

I think that (here we go again) the idea of an emergent system used to simply give the players a place to create their own stories is becoming an increasingly popular trend in a lot of contemporary indie developed games. Between Love and Minecraft let's say, they both appear to be frameworks for the player to exist in. That is to say, there's a very loose sense of what to do, and most of what the player derives fun from is being let loose on this world with absolute freedom to do what THEY WANT to do, instead of being forced by a contrived narrative. And I think that's really refreshing, if not somewhat oversaturated in the current market.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

I think Minecraft is one of the better games ive ever played, you really should try buying minecraft, the Infdev version is so much better than the free version, and its updated almost daily (Except for this month, this month, the game's creator, Notch is spending alot of time at Indy Dev conferences and conventions, so hes on the road a bunch, but he patches at least once a week still. )

I want to try Love, seems really interesting. Whats the payment model on love though? Is there a free version, is there a monthly fee?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Fallen189 said:

" I think that (here we go again) the idea of an emergent system used to simply give the players a place to create their own stories is becoming an increasingly popular trend in a lot of contemporary indie developed games. Between Love and Minecraft let's say, they both appear to be frameworks for the player to exist in. That is to say, there's a very loose sense of what to do, and most of what the player derives fun from is being let loose on this world with absolute freedom to do what THEY WANT to do, instead of being forced by a contrived narrative. And I think that's really refreshing, if not somewhat oversaturated in the current market. "

Definitely. Player created content has been growing massively over the past couple of years and it's obvious to see why - because there is an element of pride that gives an whole new sense of accomplishment, as oppose to say defeating the last boss in an action adventure game. I value the heightened extent to which LOVE follows that mentality but it's convolution is both a blessing and a curse. I don't think the (lack of) advertising of the game, nor it's over-priced subscriptions, help matters either.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Is there a free version, is there a monthly fee? "
    You buy 30 day cards which cost about £9 (not sure about $ though). Unfortunately there is no free version, though each player is given a guest pass that basically lets you sign in a +1 whenever you are online. If you go to the LOVE forums and join their teamspeak channel there will usually be someone in there with a free pass who is willing to let you try out the game. You might even get to talk to Eskil himself, as he tends to hang out in there for a few hours every day.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By buzz_clik

Man, every time you pimp LOVE I really wanna buy a PC.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    @Fallen189 said:
    " That sounds really cool. I believe (But can't confirm) that a game called " Wurm online" is quite similar to that. On the PC Gamer UK podcast, they used to talk about this vast open world, in which players could actively affect the environment with mad made structures. They persist, of course, but I don't think there's NPC based interaction forced by the AI.  I think that (here we go again) the idea of an emergent system used to simply give the players a place to create their own stories is becoming an increasingly popular trend in a lot of contemporary indie developed games. Between Love and Minecraft let's say, they both appear to be frameworks for the player to exist in. That is to say, there's a very loose sense of what to do, and most of what the player derives fun from is being let loose on this world with absolute freedom to do what THEY WANT to do, instead of being forced by a contrived narrative. And I think that's really refreshing, if not somewhat oversaturated in the current market. "
    Ironically Notch, maker of MineCraft, had a rather large hand in the creation of Wurm, as I understand it. 

Also Sweep my love, I know it was pointed out already but creative-mode Minecraft, while being the current place where most of the impressive feats of engineering and architecture take place, is not the real Minecraft. From my perspective anyway. Where Minecraft will truly shine is in the Indev/Survival mode. That's where you uncover the mechanics of exploration, resource management, combat, the value of maximizing the full use of both the day and night cycles, crafting, managing your mines, discovering new lands, destroying monsters and monster spawns, etc. I have no idea what survival mode will actually turn into when working, officially released survival mode servers are available for multiplayer but as it is now I don't think using Minecraft as a comparison tool against Love, especially as some lesser creation, is all that appropriate. While they share a lot of similarities when you take a look at the groundwork and mechanics used to operate and animate both worlds, they diverge massively once you begin to get down to the details on how those mechanics are implemented and utilized. I don't know what I'm actually writing anymore because I'm so fucking tired, but I hope I got my point across. Damn limey cracker.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#12  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Jayge:
    Dude, that's the first post I've seen from you in a long time!  It's like ZombieJayge, or... or... 

OK, I'll lay off the crack.  If I have to. 

Sweep, I might have to check Minecraft out.  I've heard a lot of positive things being bandied about, but I've yet to even really check out a video or a proper preview.  Anyways... uhhhh, yeah.  Much love, homie.  Keep it gangster.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Jayge: Yeah I should probably experiment more with it. It sounds like theres a lot more depth to it that I really had a chance to experience. From what I have seen the potential to get creative and develop seems to be much more flexible in LOVE, but only once you have figured out how it works. It's not as different as you think. Also it looks hella better.

Smug yanky meatloaf.  

@buzz_clik: How do you not own a PC??! What?! 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Sweep: I'm a Mac boy. Last time I owned a PC for gaming was back when Quake 2 was the new hotness.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @buzz_clik: It might run on Mac. You just download the client for free here and run the application, I don't think you need to install anything. Try it out, let me know what happens :O
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

The free version of Minecraft is garbage.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Rowr

Really want to play some more LOVE, o well maybe sometime in the future when i have a settled, dedicated place to do it. I feel like i only scratched the tip of the iceberg.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero

LOVE is a complete mess. The concept itself is really neat and it was fun to play with others for a while, kind of a "beat the computer" co-opness to it. But every time you logged in your city that you worked on earlier that day just gets destroyed and you have to migrate to a new one. It's fun for the first hours that you play, then when you stop and log in later...disappointment and sadness.

Also, I bought the full version of minecraft, but haven't really played it that much... seems tedious just hitting blocks with other blocks.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude

I feel... all different.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Tireyo

I got a question Sweep. You are a hamburger, right? Well, are you made with love? Because if you aren't, then this video below is what I'm afraid of, and possibly why I might not want you inside of me........... 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Tireyo643: Well... I am filmed in front of a live studio audience.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tireyo
    @Sweep: This is what you are going to cause once people find out you was/are inside of them....... 

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Daveyo520

MINECRAFT!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By jakob187
    @Tireyo643 said:

" I got a question Sweep. You are a hamburger, right? Well, are you made with love? Because if you aren't, then this video below is what I'm afraid of, and possibly why I might not want you inside of me........... 

"
    Such a great episode too!  I miss Married with Children.  Hell, I miss classic "live studio audience" sitcoms in general. 

@Sweep said:
    " @Tireyo643: Well... I am filmed in front of a live studio audience. "
    Wait, what?!  You told me that one time that we were all alone!!!  You're a devious rat bastard, Mr. Sweep!
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tireyo
    @jakob187: There is nothing like Married With Children. I miss it too.
    Guv_Bubbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Guv_Bubbs

I love Love and play it all the time. ha ha That is all

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By korolev

Interesting.... maybe I'll give this "love" a shot.  

50% of making a great game is marketing. There's no point in having an awesome game if you didn't know how to get the message out. It also might have multiplayer, but again, due to lack of good publicity, I doubt many people are playing it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.