LucasArts Officially Shuttered by Disney

#51 Posted by Superfriend (1536 posts) -

Somebody please bomb those motherfuckers and their magic kingdom.

It´s not like Lucas Arts had any business being called a great studio.. or a studio at all. But this is just sad. There is so much potential here. Disney just throws it all at the fucking wind. Seriously: Microsoft and Disney should join forces to wipe out videogames once and for all. They are sure as hell both trying really, really hard.

#52 Edited by NoCookiesForYou (756 posts) -

Oh wow, definitely feels like end of an era.

#53 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Ain't no hope for a proper next-gen Rogue Squadron then.

#54 Edited by SexVicar (53 posts) -

This is the worst thing Disney have done since cancelling the Split/Second sequel.

No more chest hair shaving bets Johnny V. We're going straight to waxing for this.

#55 Posted by MeatSim (10782 posts) -

Ugh! Give me Star Wars 1313 and a new Battlefront. I want Star Wars games!

#56 Posted by Baltimore (264 posts) -

So Disney is changing the business model of the entire company from one that made games to one that licenses the StarWars IP to churn out drivel. This has to be the most coldhearted business decision I've seen in the video game industry in a while. I feel dirty...

#57 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Fuck. 1313 sounded very promising....

#58 Edited by MrBubbles (752 posts) -

as a die hard fan of star wars i'm really sad to hear this, i was really excited about 1313 and now it won't happen.

#59 Edited by Slax (894 posts) -

This is really too bad for all involved in the layoffs, hopefully they will all land on their feet.

With that said, changing to a licensing model may mean we get some of those long awaited sequels if other companies decide it's worth their time, right?

#60 Posted by Triumvir (464 posts) -

Alright, so this isn't super shocking given Disney interactive s Innane focus on mobile and casual but this is still some grade-A bullshit. I was really looking to forward to seeing how 1313 turned out it was the only Star Wars thing I'd been interested in in years,

My sympathies go out to the LucasArts employees and thei families,

#61 Edited by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

@bbalpert: No, Disney owns everything. And Disney will never ever ever get rid of an IP, they'd rather let it rot in a cellar until they crash and burn.

#62 Posted by Riptide0 (25 posts) -

this is bullshit, this news is really depressing

#63 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

Fuck. Considering they were the only ones making worthwhile Star Wars related content for the past 20 years, this is a bummer.

Time to go play a few rounds of Battlegrounds, I think. In memoriam.

#64 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

I don't really care about Star Wars but I would have liked to have seen how 1313 turned out.

#65 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@bbalpert said:

@adrian79 said:

But we'll still get a Day of the Tentacle remake right?.....RIGHT???

I don't know if this is anything like the THQ situation where orphaned franchises get divvied up between other publishers, or if the case is that Disney still keeps all those licenses even if they have no plans of doing anything with them.

Pretty sure they will sell anything that they find non essential, so rights to the adventure games could be had.

#66 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11502 posts) -

Video games are over guys. Now how are we going to get that TIE Fighter Remake for a modern era?

#67 Edited by Tonch (32 posts) -

It's lousy to hear, just from a layoffs standpoint. The games industry has been rough for so many people lately.

#68 Edited by courage_wolf (208 posts) -

First they cancel The Clone Wars, now they gut Lucas Arts and probably kill 1313. Episode 7 better be fucking amazing to justify what Disney has done.

#69 Posted by Fascism (148 posts) -

@mosdl: its Disney man they aint selling the rights to shit bro they will sit on that and release a shitty sequel 50 years from now

#70 Edited by Hurricrane (129 posts) -

WHY?! It's not like LucasArts ever lost money!

#71 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

sad, but expected. if tim schafer and/or double fine get their mitts on a few OG IPs, however, that would certainly turn the frown upside down.

#72 Posted by RE_Player1 (7551 posts) -

Thanks a lot Johnny V...

#73 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Such a shame

#74 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

@mosdl: No way. Disney only sells for ridiculously high prices, everything else gets locked up.

#75 Posted by Hunter5024 (5555 posts) -

Well this is really disappointing news but at the same time Lucas Arts hasn't been putting out the best games recently. Maybe if they become more aggressive in licensing out their awesome ips this could lead to some pretty cool games from good developers.

#76 Edited by civid (365 posts) -

@redcream said:

Ain't no hope for a proper next-gen Rogue Squadron then.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#77 Edited by Hurricrane (129 posts) -

WHY?! It's not like LucasArts ever lost a ton of money :(

#78 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1005 posts) -

I'm shocked so many people are shocked, this is about as predictable as you can get. It's death, taxes, and Disney shutting down LucasArts games division.

#79 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

Didn't wait such a move.That sucks...

#80 Posted by Pop (2612 posts) -

Oh that's sad, but it will be interesting to see what will happen with the star wars licence in video games. If Disney will let someone else have a crack at a star wars game that will be cool to see.

I am one of the few people that think Star Wars kinect is kind of funny, I'm talking just about the dancing parts, there's something about them, maybe it's the really bad way they made those songs that gets me, cause every time I watch a video of it I just get this big grin on my face that I can't get rid of.

One of my favorite games ever is Star Wars: Jedi Outcast, it was one of the first games I played on my home PC.

#81 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -
#82 Posted by ch3burashka (5018 posts) -

First reaction is, "IS NOTHING SACRED"

Second reaction is, "Well, I guess it'll actually be better if they license their properties out to competent studios."

I thought they 'shuttered' the entire kit and caboodle; this actually seems like a good move.

#83 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

#84 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I'm shocked so many people are shocked, this is about as predictable as you can get. It's death, taxes, and Disney shutting down LucasArts games division.

Yep. Closing LucasArts just makes sense. I'm actually surprised that place didn't shut down sooner.

#85 Posted by Zaxex (579 posts) -

Well at least they can broaden their portfolio, all whilst laying people off! Disney magic.

On a serious note, games development studios are dropping like flies; hopefully the next generation of consoles isn't too expensive to develop for, so companies can actually afford to make games for them - beyond the usual "If it sells, great! If not, so long." way of doing things.

#86 Edited by BBAlpert (1389 posts) -

@bbalpert: No, Disney owns everything. And Disney will never ever ever get rid of an IP, they'd rather let it rot in a cellar until they crash and burn.

To be fair, it's not just any cellar, it's the Disney Vault.

#87 Edited by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

Kickstarter for Afterlife 2! COME ON, PEOPLE!

#88 Edited by Jay_Ray (1073 posts) -

LucasArts has done nothing of any real note in the last decade. This may allow independent devs access to a ton of IPs that they can make awesome.

#89 Edited by Sanj (2354 posts) -

#90 Posted by HansGr00ber (19 posts) -

But what will come of all the triple A titles Lucasarts has been churning out? Oh, wait.

#91 Posted by Spiritof (2025 posts) -

Yep, Disney will never make another Star Wars video game.

#92 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I don't see why people are acting so outraged. Is it just nostalgia for when LucasArts was actually a good developer? Because, from where I'm sitting LucasArts hasn't made anything worth a damn in a long fucking time.

#93 Edited by Rirse (258 posts) -

Here hoping Doublefine or Telltale get to license out their old series for HD remakes or new entries.

#94 Posted by Abendlaender (2768 posts) -

@soapy86 said:

I don't see why people are acting so outraged. Is it just nostalgia for when LucasArts was actually a good developer? Because, from where I'm sitting LucasArts hasn't made anything worth a damn in a long fucking time.

You are correct but still...LucasArts was my gaming childhood. It still hurts...

#95 Posted by Kidavenger (3516 posts) -

With all the IP Disney has now, it's astounding they can't keep one internal development house going; I was actually expecting LucasArts to start making Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm games, not get shutdown. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

Maybe this will open up the chance for KotOR 3; something like that could be a huge exclusive the next xbox badly needs.

#96 Edited by guilherme (328 posts) -

@daggon55 said:

Pour one out for TIE Fighter

#97 Edited by jarowdowsky (206 posts) -

I really don't see this as bad news - the Lucasarts I loved has been dead and buried for years and every recent game I've found sorely wanting.

With no real evidence to see them pull anything great out of the bag (one pre-rendered trailer aside) I'm happy to see a chance for other companies to license and development some of the great old IPs

#98 Edited by darkjester74 (1572 posts) -

Not unexpected, but still pretty damn depressing...

:(

#99 Edited by hollitz (1443 posts) -

Thanks a lot John Vignocchi.

#100 Posted by Pudge (869 posts) -

Recent Sequels in the Force Unleashed and Battlefront franchises? What does that even mean? Force Unleashed 2 was originally an expansion pack for the first one, and the last proper Battlefront was on Xbox, they cancelled Battlefront 3 right before it was ready to go out the door.

I don't get that line at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.