LucasArts Officially Shuttered by Disney

#151 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Finally it's been put out of its (our) misery. George had been keeping that braindead company on life support far too long. I mean it sucks that more people are out of jobs, but I did all my grieving for the creative side of LucasArts a decade ago. Now call the coroner and get this rotten corpse out of here.

#152 Edited by Archr5 (30 posts) -

Maaaaan.... the 1313 panel at Celebration VI was actually really cool and they showed a lot of the game. Looked like Mass Effect + Starwars.

That being said, hopefully Disney really curates the license a bit better than their other properties if they're going to a distributed model. Last time I checked, games featuring the Mouse himself (Castle of Illusion excepted) have been worse by several orders of magnitude than anything LucasArts ever did.

#153 Posted by weirdo (150 posts) -

Wow, that one game that grabbed everyones attention and they deemed it to be in the "too risky" list? Yea, because OBVIOUSLY Star Wars Kinect had significantly more potential to relaunch the entire series.

Do they even know the fucking fanbase?

#154 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Hey, Disney, if you aren't going to be doing anything with all those LucasArts adventure game properties, maybe sell them off to a company that will rerelease them? Just an idea. Alright, cool, talk to you later. Love you.

I want this so badly. We need a Criterion video game equivalent that just acquires the publishing rights of older games and rereleases them for modern hardware (whether emulated or whatever) so that kind of stuff can be preserved.

#155 Posted by SpicyRichter (556 posts) -

1313 still has to come out in some way. Some way, right? That game looked awesome.

Yes please please please

I've showed that game to people who have said 'how can games get any better looking than they are now', and it has shocked every single one of them, and made them fans all over again.

#156 Edited by LucidDreams117 (422 posts) -

Damn Disney! I was really excited about 1313. Here's hoping someone, somewhere, somehow can pick it up and finish it... maybe. To play devils advocate, I can see why business wise, Disney would do this. They spent a lot of money buying the Lucas brand, I can see this being them going through all things that they now own, and making sure they make money. Lucas Arts probably didn't fall into the "for sure" category. Though that doesn't explain the Clone Wars cancelation. Heard that was really good. Hmmm. Well at least they'll still license the brand to other studios.

Here's to all that lost their job. Hopefully they land on their feet.

#157 Posted by bkbroiler (1641 posts) -

RIP LucasArts. You made all my favorite games as a kid.

#158 Edited by UberExplodey (943 posts) -

Sad Muir. D':

#159 Edited by snaptroll (71 posts) -

It may just be me but this news is music to my ears. The last decade has seen little of what Lucasarts was once capable of. Now that Lucasarts is done experimenting with the Star Wars franchise maybe we'll get some Star Wars games I actually want to play.

#160 Edited by SpicyRichter (556 posts) -

Actually, thinking about it, there's no WAY this is the end of star wars games. They are making a multimedia PUSH right now, they even released star wars pinball tables and have a (very good) cartoon show running. I bet 1313 still comes out as a Disney interactive game.

The last few episodes of the clone wars show REALLY made me want a Coruscant based TPS

#161 Posted by NicksCorner (433 posts) -

This really blows. That studio has produced so many classics.

#162 Posted by LordLOC (194 posts) -

Fuck you Disney. Seriously, fuck you.

I'm gonna go play some Battlefront 2 PC right now, with mods and everything. Screw you Disney.

#163 Posted by VictorViper (12 posts) -

It sucks that Star Wars 1313 is cancelled, but this might be good news. Couldn't this conceivably lead to a licensed reboot of X-Wing/Tie Fighter games from a developer that loved the franchise and could do it justice? Full Throttle 2 or Maniac Mansion 3 by Double Fine?

#164 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

Actually, thinking about it, there's no WAY this is the end of star wars games. They are making a multimedia PUSH right now, they even released star wars pinball tables and have a (very good) cartoon show running. I bet 1313 still comes out as a Disney interactive game.

The last few episodes of the clone wars show REALLY made me want a Coruscant based TPS

It definitely won't be the end of Star Wars games. It will probably be the end of all the other LucasArts licenses unless Disney is willing to sell them off for something that isn't insane.

#165 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

Well, hopefully Star Wars 1313's sacrifice will not go wasted. I hope this means that more quality developers can take a stab at a Star Wars game. I'm all for more Star Wars if that is what killing Lucasarts means.

#166 Posted by dobschutz (58 posts) -

One of my absolute favorite developers:( some of the first games i ever played were from lucasarts

#168 Edited by Nezza (377 posts) -

So long and thanks for all the Monkeys.

#169 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

never trust that god damned mouse

#170 Posted by Peanut (955 posts) -

Fuck you, Disney.

#171 Posted by Sweetz (553 posts) -

So I'm not particularly bummed about LucasArts closing, as mentioned in the article, they were already on their way out. They haven't done much worth congratulating in the last 5 years except the Monkey Island HD remakes, which unfortunately, probably didn't make notable money for them. Force Unleashed was decent, but fell far short of it's potential. 1313 was a movie and it's doubtful they could deliver a working game that lived up to the quality of that movie.

Here's what I am worried about: what happens to the back catalog? There are still a number of good-to-excellent classic LucasArts adventure games that haven't made their way to Steam or GoG or similar. Is Disney going to sell off these old IPs, or will they let them continue to languish away in some hidden IP warehouse?

#172 Posted by jd18b (43 posts) -

Lovely. Thanks fat cats.

#173 Edited by Shevar (138 posts) -

Another piece of my childhood just died. Thanks for X-wing, Tie-Fighter, Monkey island, Dark Forces series and the Jedi Knight games.

So many to summarise, but those really impacted my pc gaming as a kid.

This one is for you *raises glass*!

#174 Posted by EveretteScott (1532 posts) -

@peanut said:

Fuck you, Disney.

That was my initial thought and I almost replied with it. Then I realized I got all my use of LucasArts from the early 90's so I'll just go play all those games again.

#175 Posted by Sisyphean (73 posts) -

I have to echo the sentiment that the only real sad part here is the fact that a lot of people lost their jobs. It's an unfortunate aspect of the business. The LucasArts of today is very different from what it once was. I hope some other developers can take these licenses and do something with them.

#176 Edited by Winternet (8055 posts) -

Thanks, John Vignocchi!

#177 Posted by Bandit_Fox (143 posts) -

Star Wars: Dark Forces is what took me down the games rabbit hole as a six-year-old. Sad day.

Ditto. I played it again while ago and the kid part of my brain was still squealing in fear at the Diaongas that pop out of the sewer in the third or fourth level.

Sad, nostalgic day. But hey, they haven't sold off their IPs, and Disney loves beating those to death.

#178 Posted by BluPotato (487 posts) -

To be fair, what was the last good game Lucas Arts published anyhow? Mercenaries? It's mostly been weak Star Wars games since the 90's with one or two decent ones worth playing mixed in there. It's sad they are closing for nostalgia's sake, but it's not really like its a huge loss for gaming these days.

#179 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1791 posts) -

Jonny V killed Star Wars.

#180 Edited by Spam101 (141 posts) -

This is so messed up. I had such a hard on for 1313

#181 Edited by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -

I'm so fucking mad right now. I don't even like Star Wars, but 1313 was one of the few upcoming games that I was in any way excited for.

#182 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -

WHAAAAAAT!!!!

#183 Posted by Slag (4889 posts) -

This really sucks

really really sucks

#184 Edited by Daveyo520 (7006 posts) -

:(

#185 Edited by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

The first video games I ever played, TIE Fighter and Dark Forces II, were made by LucasArts. They were a big part of my childhood. ...fuck.

#186 Posted by Haethos (310 posts) -

Star Wars 1313 looked really cool. :(

#187 Edited by ReCkLeSs_X (461 posts) -

Well this sucks.

#188 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4496 posts) -

I'm so fucking mad right now. I don't eve like Star Wars, but 1313 was one of the few upcoming games that I was in any way excited for.

#189 Edited by Nardak (583 posts) -

In a way I am glad that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars from George Lucas. At least I hope that the new star wars film will not be worse than "the phantom menace".

George Lucas had way too many "yes" men/women telling him what he wanted to hear. The end result was a film filled with wooden acting and having to endure the antics of a creature called "jar jar binks". Not to mention a plot that was basically about a trade embargo.

Also somehow LucasArts stopped making games for gamers. I dont even remember what games Lucasarts has produced these last years. Though having said that I hope that the people who lost their jobs will find employment soon. Not exactly an easy prospect in the current economy.

#190 Posted by Grilledcheez (3958 posts) -

THE FUCK

#191 Edited by pickassoreborn (534 posts) -

More fucking layoffs. Good luck to those affected.

#192 Posted by stewmull (65 posts) -

fuck disney. so pissed about this...

#193 Edited by kristov_romanov (465 posts) -

But, but... DotT, Fate of Atlantis.... Please follow Sam & Max and Monkey Island to Telltale.

Fuck you Micky, I thought you buying them was meant to stop all of the Lucas bullshit.

#194 Posted by SymbolliC (261 posts) -

Bummer man. I really enjoyed the Battlefront games. I was hoping maybe another one day. Oh well.

#195 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6401 posts) -

Here's hoping the licenses wind up going to good studios. I could get behind a Telltale-developed Indiana Jones.

#196 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6401 posts) -

Here's hoping the licenses wind up going to good studios. I could get behind a Telltale-developed Indiana Jones.

#197 Edited by roninhack (37 posts) -

So if they are doing more licensed star wars games... Who would be likely to get the tie fighter license? DICE would be my dream development for a new tie fighter game.

#198 Posted by woodelf86 (143 posts) -

They kill this but green light Disney Infinity, cynical assholes, fuck that

#199 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

'Layoffs across the organization.." "We are incredibly appreciative and proud."

PR speak is always so condescending.

#200 Posted by HellknightLeon (467 posts) -

Man that sucks... I feel like Disney is turning into the next EA. I get why they did it but I feel like they needed to give L.A. more of a chance. Disney has more money then God and the fuck do they know about video games. All they make is shit... so why can a good dev team? I'm super fucking bummed about this. Its all Giant Bomb's fault! As a kid I didn't give two fucks who made my games... now they inform me and make me care about the devs and the hard work they do... then they have to report stuff like this. Fuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.