LucasArts Officially Shuttered by Disney

#201 Edited by wardcleaver (173 posts) -

I can't say that I am surprised by this news. As others have said, LA hasn't turned out a great game in years. They seemed to have been riding on the Start Wars brand recognition for a while.

#202 Edited by Arkasai (702 posts) -

Tragic. Just goes to show how volatile this business can be, even long time titans of the industry can go down hard.

#203 Posted by warthurton (28 posts) -

Maybe at least now somebody will be able to offer the old games on GOG or Steam or ANYWHERE.

#204 Posted by alfawolf04 (30 posts) -

Never has this video been more appropriate...

#205 Posted by Arabes (339 posts) -

This could be a good thing. Lucas Arts has loads of IP's that they were never going to do anything with. Maybe disney will liscence them out. New TIE Fighter anyone ?

#206 Edited by Generic_username (625 posts) -

Video games have an awful thing where anytime someone gets bought, people are laid off. It's a really awful story that I hate seeing over and over again. I wish there was something that could be done about it.

#207 Posted by Vuud (2033 posts) -

!!!

:(

#208 Edited by Stinky51012 (158 posts) -
#209 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

On one hand it sucks to see another studio shift it's focus to licensed material, but on the other hand what has Lucas Arts really put out in the past 10 year or so that was actually really noteworthy as a game (if you aren't a massive Star Wars fan)? Like hasn't it pretty much been bad-okayish single player Star Wars games and 2 bad Star Wars MMOs?

At anyrate, it'll be nice to see if some of the IPs that they've been sitting on for decades end up getting some more attention or if they'll just continue to collect dust.

#210 Posted by ghoti221 (48 posts) -

Can't say I'm surprised. LucasArts has really been a shell of itself for years. It only hurts because there's a big nostalgia factor going on, especially with Double Fine - but face facts, when was the last original LucasArts developed game you played that you really enjoyed? (A lot of the really good stuff in the 2000s wasn't LucasArts developed, just published.)

Here's hoping the people laid off find jobs quick in this economy... but as a going entity, LucasArts has been gone for a long time now. This is merely recognition of that fact. Star Wars 1313 might have turned things around; but, how many game companies have had that "one project that might have turned things around", and how many times did it actually happen?

#211 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

@scroll said:

Well Lucasarts management fucked around with Battlefront 3 and ended up killing Free Radical Design and they've made plenty of bad decisions in the last few years. Perhaps its a shame 1313 was dragged down with it but oh well.

In actuality the real story was Free Radical tried to take the money Lucasarts gave them to try and work behind there back on Haze so they killed themselves

#212 Edited by SHADOWINFINITE (545 posts) -

Now disney has ruined everyone's expectations for Star Wars 1313. That is a horrible way to gain fans expectations for Star Wars 7-9.

#213 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3558 posts) -

star wars in kingdom hearts 2015!

#214 Posted by Gildermershina (302 posts) -

Disney could easily have absorbed the 1313 team and kept making the game if they wanted, but it looked like an expensive game for a niche audience, and Disney's not really into those. Not too surprised they canned it (presumably). Maybe the tech and assets get used in the inevitably middling Episode VII game.

All the legacy titles, I expect those will end up getting dumped onto Steam/GOG/Origin at some point, because why not, might as well make money of them right?

#215 Edited by Mumrik (1080 posts) -

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#216 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

@shadowinfinite: I think how bad episodes 1-3 were will have more impact on people not getting super hyped for episodes 7-9 than some impotent and quickly forgotten nerd rage over a game being canned will have.

#217 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

Holy shit.

#218 Posted by Eboria (62 posts) -

Star Wars: Dark Forces is what took me down the games rabbit hole as a six-year-old. Sad day.

Similarly to this guy, a Lucasarts game was one of the earliest positive gaming experiences I had. Except for me it was Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

#219 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Fuck.

#220 Edited by ripelivejam (4264 posts) -

TIE FIGHTER ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;(

#221 Edited by porjos (150 posts) -

Disney. The house Hitler built.

Edit: That makes no sense. It just felt good saying it.

#222 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

@CircleNine said:

@shadowinfinite: I think how bad episodes 1-3 were will have more impact on people not getting super hyped for episodes 7-9 than some impotent and quickly forgotten nerd rage over a game being canned will have.

Look out over here guys, hes edgey.

#223 Posted by heatDrive88 (2358 posts) -
#224 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: You can call it whatever you want but 99% of you (who were even interested in seeing the new movies in the first place) won't act on it by not seeing the new movies even if you're still totally furious about the game being canned. This is how these things always end up panning out. Unless you're really super duper serious about it this time.

#225 Posted by LobsterCrunk (90 posts) -

#226 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

If you are still insisting on boycotting Star Wars 7-9 two years later in 2015 please post in this thread when they come out and prove me wrong and that it wasn't just another case of impotent nerd rage. I'll bookmark it with a note to check it.

#227 Edited by afjkidd5 (97 posts) -

I think I'll be shifting to the "I won't buy your licensed crap model."

#228 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

It's been a while since LucasArts put out anything worthwhile, but still... fuck you, Disney!

#229 Edited by TheHT (11505 posts) -

:(

#230 Posted by ScreamingGhost (215 posts) -

Not surprised but bummed out that 150 people just got kicked to the curb :/

#231 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

If you are still insisting on boycotting Star Wars 7-9 two years later in 2015 please post in this thread when they come out and prove me wrong and that it wasn't just another case of impotent nerd rage. I'll bookmark it with a note to check it.

I think you confusing people upset about a studio closing due to a buyout with people being upset about the new trilogy because of this. Its a common mistake :]

#232 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

it's a trap

#233 Posted by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

This hardly spells the end of Star Wars games. I just means they'll be made by EA or Activision.

Sad about 1313 and that downloadable FPS that showed up in small leaked bits recently, but knowing nothing about the next direction the franchise will take, I can't be disappointed in something that was never released; never made it past Alpha.

And, I'm playing Star Wars The Old Republic right now and I am digging it a lot. If Disney shuts it down before I've had my fill, then I'll be disappointed. I would be losing something I have had real-time fun with and not the "oh that looks cool" type of imaginary fun.

#234 Posted by Redhorn (225 posts) -

Oh my god.

#235 Edited by Norusdog (347 posts) -

@soralapio said:

Fucking Disney.

don't blame disney for this. It's Lucas own doing...Disney just did what Lucas should have awhile ago. Notice how their good games were the ones based off (mostly) the Original Trilogy...but with the abortion that are the prequels Lucas wanted to shove them down our throats so ANY Star Wars game was based off that..and almost all of them were total crap (I did like Rep. Commando.)

LucasArts, lately and for awhile, has given us nothing but shit..even the ones that had potential were squandered...that crap happened LONG before the Disney buyout..it's not "Fucking Disney"..it's "Fucking Lucas"...Disney just did what was smart.

#236 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1094 posts) -

(I wish I knew who made this, because it's brilliant. Just saw it making the Twitter rounds.)

#237 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

God damnit all to hell. This really bums me out. :(

#238 Posted by chilipeppersman (1167 posts) -

@xearo: yea I thought so too! This is terrible news......Battlefront III would have been epic as well. Hopefully another studio picks up the slack. :(

#239 Edited by august (3853 posts) -

Pretty sure Lucasarts was already dead, guys.

#240 Edited by TheGorilla (230 posts) -

lol, Disney really is terrible. Johnny V needs a new job.

As a kid the only reason I liked Star Wars was because of the games.

#241 Edited by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

DAM YOU Vignocchi!!!!!

#242 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3426 posts) -

<p>lol at everyone mad at Disney. All they did was pull the life support off a long dead body. Yeah 1313 looked cool, but it was, for all we know, a tech demo, just like that oh-so-amazing Indiana Jones game from yesteryear. There's literally no reason to expect, considering the recent past, that 3rd party Star Wars games will be worse than the Lucasarts ones.</p>

#243 Posted by Nettacki (1319 posts) -

Lucasarts has been on life support for a very long time. It just took a while before they finally got unplugged.

#244 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

I was really wishing there'd be a new Battlefront and a new Gladius. I wonder if they'll auction off the lisences to non Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises.

#245 Posted by KovicMAN (19 posts) -
#246 Edited by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

But, but... DotT, Fate of Atlantis.... Please follow Sam & Max and Monkey Island to Telltale.

Fuck you Micky, I thought you buying them was meant to stop all of the Lucas bullshit.

That is a really cool picture

#247 Posted by Wonloong (365 posts) -

Star Wars? More like Bore Wars! HAH! Am I right, guys?!

Guys?

#248 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

Aside from the ridiculously little we know about 1313, has Lucasarts even been relevant in terms of quality gaming in years? Seems to me that people are shocked solely out of nostalgia for the studio, rather than relevance.

#249 Posted by Discoman (169 posts) -

Disney just finds it more profitable to license games to third party studios, that way they're guaranteed a profit no matter what. That and they're too busy with that Skylanders rip off.

It is a shame, alot of big names and games came out of Lucas Arts, and the team that was there was probably seasoned. But that's how this industry goes, entire studios are sacked and not salvaged.

#250 Posted by Robotspeaks (6 posts) -

It's a shame that a company has gone out of business and that people have lost their jobs, but the Lucasarts everyone loves and remembers has been dead for a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.