Next Level Games Developing Luigi’s Mansion 2 for Early 2012

Posted by patrickklepek (4630 posts) -
More Luigi's Mansion is a great thing.

One of the smaller but welcomed announcements at Nintendo’s press conference today was Luigi’s Mansion 2 for 3DS.

At a roundtable with designer Shigeru Miyamoto this evening, he revealed Punch-Out!! and Super Mario Strikers developer Next Level Games is working on the game and is targeting a release early next year.

As for why Miyamoto decided to return to the Luigi’s Mansion games, he had a simple response.

“Really the reason we made this is because I wanted to,” he joked.

Good enough for me.

Next Level Games working on Luigi’s Mansion 2 was the second somewhat surprising reveal of an international developer working with Nintendo. Retro Studios, who has also partnered with Nintendo in the past, is contributing track designs to Mario Kart 3DS.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4630 posts) -
More Luigi's Mansion is a great thing.

One of the smaller but welcomed announcements at Nintendo’s press conference today was Luigi’s Mansion 2 for 3DS.

At a roundtable with designer Shigeru Miyamoto this evening, he revealed Punch-Out!! and Super Mario Strikers developer Next Level Games is working on the game and is targeting a release early next year.

As for why Miyamoto decided to return to the Luigi’s Mansion games, he had a simple response.

“Really the reason we made this is because I wanted to,” he joked.

Good enough for me.

Next Level Games working on Luigi’s Mansion 2 was the second somewhat surprising reveal of an international developer working with Nintendo. Retro Studios, who has also partnered with Nintendo in the past, is contributing track designs to Mario Kart 3DS.

Staff
#2 Posted by Natedogg2 (453 posts) -

Oooo, looks like fun.

#3 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Things exist because Miyamoto demands it.

#4 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -
@Alaska_Gamer: But it is BECAUSE of these demands that we get some pretty interesting stuff... not quite as interesting, though, as a vending machine in Japan.
#5 Posted by Hailinel (24856 posts) -

Punch-Out!! was excellent. I'd love to see what Next Level can do with Luigi's Mansion.

#6 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

I still need to get Punch-Out :(

This looks really cool however, I don't think there's any way I'll miss it at launch.

#7 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube was great, cannot wait for the sequel! Still kind of a bummer that a Wii one was never made though.

#8 Posted by Absolute_Zero (242 posts) -

They're also making that Captain America game, but I've heard it might be the best of Sega's Marvel games (wouldn't take much).

#9 Posted by Deathpooky (1403 posts) -

I can see why people disliked it as a launch title, but I liked the original. Well, mostly I liked walking the halls and saying "Maaaario" over and over again.

Nintendo, you might just get a 3DS out of me yet. But probably after the first revision.

#10 Posted by GioVANNI (1287 posts) -

I'll play anything Miyamoto wants to be made.

#11 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2382 posts) -

And this is why I love nintendo.

#12 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

Oh god, seeing this alone almost made me want to go out and buy a DS today!

#13 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Downloaded the trailer on my 3DS and it looks great!

Just fix the framerate up a little bit and it's all good.

#14 Posted by MeatSim (10861 posts) -

Miyamoto does what ever he wants.

#15 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -

Nice announcement :P

#16 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

This is a 3DS game? Yeah, I need to go get me one of those.

#17 Posted by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

3DS? Fuck that.

#18 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion was an under appreciated game back when it launched with the Game Cube. Glad to see Nintendo giving it another go.

#19 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

i only ever played a tiny bit of luigis mansion but i really want this for the 3DS

#20 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

Looks awesome, great to see some unexpected games announced.

#21 Posted by GLITTER_FUDGING (5 posts) -

i got excited when i saw 'mansion' in the headline,  then i realized that this has nothing to do with day of the tentacle.  finally got try out the 3DS  and it made me want to lay down and shut my eyes after about 2 minutes of 3D pilot wings.

#22 Posted by Raineko (433 posts) -

Luigis Mansion was a pretty cool game, one of my favorites of the cube.

#23 Posted by Darth Paul (108 posts) -

I love Luigi's Mansion even if it is too short of a game, been hoping that they'd make a sequel, and this along with the Zelda remake and new Mario Bros. makes the 3DS another Nintendo must buy.

#24 Posted by rmanthorp (3953 posts) -

Sweet! Love NLG!

Moderator Online
#25 Posted by subatomicpizza (18 posts) -

Looks like I have to get a 3DS now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.