Why Luigi's Mansion 2 Actually Makes a Compelling Case for the 3DS

• 84 results
#51 Posted by theMixxer (41 posts) -

You had me at "Luigi's Mansion 2."

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first game back on the 'Cube.

#52 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1093 posts) -

Given that Iwata has straight out come out and said stereoscopic 3D was planned for the Gamecube and that Luigi's Mansion was to be a flagship game using this feature, it makes a certain amount of sense that Luigi's Mansion 2 would hit the 3DS.

#53 Posted by Hoarr (17 posts) -

I played Luigi's Mansion years after it was released and found it to be quite enjoyable.
That being said, I don't recall anything about the game, but I do remember liking it.
Put me down for one Luigi Mansion 2 preorder.

#54 Posted by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion 2 is the most important game. Ever.

#55 Posted by StarFoxA (5157 posts) -

I freakin' love Luigi's Mansion.

#56 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -
@elsuperdonut said:

Man, I gotta be honest. This fucking game is making me wanna buy a 3ds. GB brethren, talk some sense into me!

You and me both, donut, so I'm of no help to you.  I will, however, say this game is slated for 2012 and you should wait for the possible 3DS redesign, which is what I'm doing.  Hold out just a little longer, man!
#57 Posted by vhold (406 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion got a lot of hate at the time because it wasn't the Mario launch game people desperately wanted, people didn't really judge it on its own merits.

#58 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -
@Zor said:
Now if they would only make a Waluigi game...
I'd like to see a prequel to Luigi's Mansion where Waluigi runs around filling an old house with ghosts, just to be a dick.
#59 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@m0rdr3d said:

@elsuperdonut said:

Man, I gotta be honest. This fucking game is making me wanna buy a 3ds. GB brethren, talk some sense into me!

You and me both, donut, so I'm of no help to you. I will, however, say this game is slated for 2012 and you should wait for the possible 3DS redesign, which is what I'm doing. Hold out just a little longer, man!

You're right. Redesign, more colors, lower price. We shall wait...

#60 Posted by Undeadpool (4936 posts) -

You think we're going to still get the weird Easter Egg/glitch that made a shadow that looked like Luigi had hung himself?

#61 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1665 posts) -
"Still, judged purely on its own merits as a cartoonish ghostbusting simulation, Luigi's Mansion was a fun, simple, deeply charming little game that Nintendo went on to completely ignore for years following as if it were some kind of ghastly mistake that would bring shame upon the company were its name ever to be uttered again by human mouths."

Completely ignored? Not exactly. There have been Luigi's Mansion-themed stages in Mario Kart: Double Dash, Mario Kart DS, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Sports Mix, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I don't think Nintendo was ashamed of Luigi's Mansion. Fifteen years passed between Super Punch-Out!! and Punch-Out!! for the Wii with barely a mention, and I'd hardly say they're ashamed of that franchise.
#62 Posted by m0rdr3d (474 posts) -
@elsuperdonut said:

@m0rdr3d said:

@elsuperdonut said:

You and me both, donut, so I'm of no help to you. I will, however, say this game is slated for 2012 and you should wait for the possible 3DS redesign, which is what I'm doing. Hold out just a little longer, man!

You're right. Redesign, more colors, lower price. We shall wait...

Yes.  I'll try not to eat you.
#63 Posted by Brendan (7806 posts) -

I really loved this article. It's nice to see Alex's power for words being used for stuff he likes, and not always for sarcastically tearing down stuff he doesn't. He should talk about stuff he likes more often.

#64 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

@m0rdr3d:

#65 Posted by GaspoweR (3022 posts) -

DEFENDING YOUR GAME

#66 Edited by JaguarCRO (59 posts) -

The 3D was cool, but that game played way too slow. Movement by Luigi and when the vacuum was sucking up coins it was way too slow. One problem with the 3D was the unfortunate frequent breakup of the 3D effect when you had to hold the left shoulder button and move the 3DS around to look in the world to find hidden coins and ghosts from a stationary position.

I really liked Luigi's Mansion on Gamecube but this was one of the few games that played much worse than it looked originally. (Mario Kart and Mario 3DS on the other hand looked and played great.)

#67 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1876 posts) -

Glad to hear it's progressing nicely. It'll be nice to have a good 3DS game that's not a remake or a port

#68 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion is one of my all-time favorites, that game's got such spunk.

#69 Posted by NathHaw (2766 posts) -

Luigi's Mansion was a competent game. It was rather fun, and I remember liking it. It was definitely better than a lot of other release titles. I have never absolutely wished that there would one day be a sequel though. It wasn't that special.

I imagine that many people who played Luigi's Mansion at a younger age have a lot of great memories of it.

#70 Posted by gogobomb (63 posts) -

i don't know how anyone could call luigis mansion a bad game, that was one of the best games i had ever played. and im really excited for luigis mansion 2! :D

#71 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

This was my thought when they announced it, even with the "that frame rate looks UNPLAYABLE when four or five ghosts get on screen" comment. Of course, they have plenty of time, and I've always loved Luigi's Mansion (in fact, it's the only other console Mario game I've beaten since SM64) so I'm totally psyched for this.

Still not picking up a 3DS till at least August, though.

#72 Posted by DavoTron (151 posts) -

I LOVE ME SOME HOT GHOST HOOVERIN' ACTION

#73 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm really excited that they're bringing it back. Luigi's Mansion was an enjoyable and charming game. 

Oh, and Manfred Mann's version is way better. Sorry, Bruce. You're still the boss, but I'm sure even you can see that their version is superior.

#74 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

I hope the new 3DS is out by the time this comes out. I wanna buy one with better battery life.

Played through Luigis Mansion 1 last week (after 9 years I finally played more than 1 hour) and let me say, aside from the horrible aiming it's a great game.

#75 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Looks awesome, almost to the point where I gotta buy a 3DS. Just a few more games...

#76 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

The trailer didnt do the game justice then from what alex is saying, it seemed fairly simple, maybe too simple on the screen. regardless i cant wait to get my hands on it.

#77 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

@xiaohee: Welcome to get off this website

#78 Posted by Cybexx (1170 posts) -

I enjoyed the original a fair bit, probably mostly due to it's charm. I'm glad Next Level is working on this (I was *this* close to working for them a few years back).

#79 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

Strange this game would not be on the Wii where the controller is basically a FLASHLIGHT.. But makes sense (I guess) if you recall the original Gamecube version was playable on their secret 3D prototype Gamecube machine

#80 Posted by Rockdalf (1279 posts) -
@Funkydupe: When the line up starts hitting full stride, street passes may be a more common occurence.
#81 Posted by ExplodingTuba (95 posts) -

Luigi: "Mario!  Mario?!"

#82 Posted by LiquidElite (87 posts) -
@Deusoma:  this made me laugh, but on a serious note actually sounds like a good idea :P
#83 Posted by Incryptic (28 posts) -

This game announcement made me interested in the 3DS so much in fact that I'm going to purchase one as soon as possible. Nintendo seems to have some very great games coming out soon. Hopefully the horrible videogame developers don't pollute the game shelves. But then again, we don't live in an ideal world. 

#84 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -

Manfred Mann's Earth Band all the way.

#85 Posted by gaminggoron (4 posts) -

I'm looking forward to it for sure. I've been off and on with my 3DS and this looks like a game that I will enjoy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.