Hi I'm the creator of Lunar Flight featured on the GB Flight Club

#1 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

Hi guys,

My name is Sean Edwards, I'm the guy who created the incredibly challenging yet rewarding Lunar Module simulator Lunar Flight.

I'm an indie in the truest sense and develop Lunar Flight from a spare room in my house, no publisher, no budget, no marketing, just me.

This is a bit of shameless self promotion but if anyone has any questions, wants to ask me anything in the Reddit tradition I'll be happy to answer them.

http://www.giantbomb.com/flight-club-lunar-flight/17-5898/ (Big thanks for showing the game guys, I don't get much media attention at all I guess because of the games 'niche' nature)

Lunar Flight has been on sale on Steam for the summer sale at %50 off if you're interested in picking it up, it will be on sale until the 24th July.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208600/

Here's the trailer:

#2 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

I really enjoyed watching them play your game. I have one question though, why can't space shuttles do barrel rolls?

#3 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@hussatron said:

I really enjoyed watching them play your game. I have one question though, why can't space shuttles do barrel rolls?

Who says they can't? :)

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

It looked cool, I would suggest, perhaps in the next one, better joystick or xbox controller support.

And guns, But the guns thing is a take it or leave it thing.

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

So meta.

#6 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

It looked cool, I would suggest, perhaps in the next one, better joystick or xbox controller support.

And guns, But the guns thing is a take it or leave it thing.

The Xbox controller is supported by default and you should be able to get any controller to work with it. :)

I am planning a future mining element that requires blasting meteorites open with a targeted missile system to expose the minerals inside which you will recover using a handy extraction laser.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@sh0v0r: Didnt know the xbox controler was supported, have to play it again. I was just joking about the Guns.

#8 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

@sh0v0r said:

@hussatron said:

I really enjoyed watching them play your game. I have one question though, why can't space shuttles do barrel rolls?

Who says they can't? :)

Hah, I just realized that it was two separate games they played in that video. The first featured was some space shuttle mission thing that kept breaking every time they tried anything interesting (like a barrel roll). Your game was the lunar lander type one which was a lot better than the first.

So umm... nothing to see here, carry on.

#9 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@sh0v0r: Didnt know the xbox controler was supported, have to play it again. I was just joking about the Guns.

Cool, I do all my dev work using the X360 controller so it is what I recommend to use to get have the best experience.

Also I'm not joking about the guns... :)

#10 Posted by Harpell (183 posts) -

Wow, you made that all alone? How long was it in development? And what tools did you use as far as coding an modelling?

#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4058 posts) -

@sh0v0r: You're my hero

#12 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3110 posts) -

Good job on the game, duder.

#13 Posted by selbie (1991 posts) -

Great work on the game, duder! The GiantBomb Flight Club has a proven track record of high-quality flight testing across a broad range of vehicles! :P

A mining sim expansion would be a great feature to see. Maybe even incorporate the ability to buy and sell parts and commodities so the game can become a space trading sim set on the moon :D

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I was just joking about the Guns.

Are you trying to walk that back a little bit?

#15 Posted by Slag (5056 posts) -

@sh0v0r: Very cool of you to post on here. Welcome to Giant Bomb!

#16 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@Harpell said:

Wow, you made that all alone? How long was it in development? And what tools did you use as far as coding an modelling?

Yes mostly, a friend of mine made the base models and wrote the music, I did almost everything else short of buying a couple packages from the Unity store for a couple systems.

It's been in development since October 10th 2010 where it started as a simple bit of fun playing around with Unity.

I'm still working on enhancing the game and recently I've brought a friend on to help out with adding a Multiplayer feature.

It's powered by Unity Pro, I use Visual Studio for programming(C#) 3DSMax for models, Photoshop for textures, Audacity for sound editing, L3DT for Terrain generation.

#17 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@selbie said:

Great work on the game, duder! The GiantBomb Flight Club has a proven track record of high-quality flight testing across a broad range of vehicles! :P

A mining sim expansion would be a great feature to see. Maybe even incorporate the ability to buy and sell parts and commodities so the game can become a space trading sim set on the moon :D

Thanks, I just wish they had of done a Quick Look so it would have got a lot more exposure as the Flight Club is restricted to subscribers, its been very hard to get any media to run articles about it.

There's a huge amount of potential for making a really awesome game with a lot more scope such as you mention, if you visit the official forums suggestion channel there's a lot of great ideas.

Unfortunately doing something like that would require more resources and people and the game hasn't been a big enough financial success to fund something like that.

#18 Posted by dvdhaus (357 posts) -

I picked this up and am enjoying it, even though I have not completed a single mission yet. I will suggest patience. Feel like I am almost there, just trying to figure out my stopping distance.

#19 Posted by CptBedlam (4462 posts) -

@sh0v0r: Great work so far! We all very much enjoyed watching the guys play your game. And I love it when developers reach out to player communities.

#20 Posted by konig_kei (681 posts) -

Turn it into a space sim!

#21 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

Thanks guys it makes me really happy to get positive feedback and keeps me motivated to keep on improving the game.

I just wish I could get some more sites to give it some more coverage because I believe there are a lot more people that would enjoy it but don't know it exists and I cannot afford any sort of marketing other than trying to promote it myself by frequenting forums like this one.

#22 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

@dvdhaus said:

I picked this up and am enjoying it, even though I have not completed a single mission yet. I will suggest patience. Feel like I am almost there, just trying to figure out my stopping distance.

The best advice I have is to avoid using the Pitch and Roll inputs and stay perfectly level, use the Yaw input(Q & E) to turn to face your destination navpoint. Learn to use the Thrustlock (see videos below) and use the translational thrusts. Keep you velocity below 5ms.

Once you get more practice and experience you can start to pitch over and full burn to accelerate and the opposite to slow down.

Lastly buy the Level 1 Stabiliser as your first upgrade, dont forgot you can buy some additional fuel and its cheap.

There is a Practice mode in the Pilot menu which will give you unlimited Fuel and not penalise you for crashing.

#23 Posted by selbie (1991 posts) -

@sh0v0r said:

@selbie said:

Great work on the game, duder! The GiantBomb Flight Club has a proven track record of high-quality flight testing across a broad range of vehicles! :P

A mining sim expansion would be a great feature to see. Maybe even incorporate the ability to buy and sell parts and commodities so the game can become a space trading sim set on the moon :D

Thanks, I just wish they had of done a Quick Look so it would have got a lot more exposure as the Flight Club is restricted to subscribers, its been very hard to get any media to run articles about it.

There's a huge amount of potential for making a really awesome game with a lot more scope such as you mention, if you visit the official forums suggestion channel there's a lot of great ideas.

Unfortunately doing something like that would require more resources and people and the game hasn't been a big enough financial success to fund something like that.

Yeah I almost forgot that it was a subscriber thing. Maybe you could pull some strings and make a request to open it up for everyone.

#24 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

I wouldnt know who to ask, maybe if they did a quick look now that there is a better idea of how to play it they could do another video where the successfully complete a mission :P

#25 Edited by MachoFantastico (4915 posts) -

While I appreciate crazy Vinny and Dave moments, I do enjoy when they get serious with a game and explain how it works. Would like to see them invest some time into Lunar Fight again and revisit it for a quick look.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (15284 posts) -
@sh0v0r I have nothing but respect for anyone who can put something like this together by themselves. Not really my type of game but I hope you do well for yourself. This is really cool.
#27 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

Good job.

#28 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I picked it up during the sale, and am loving the nuance of it. I was influenced by the Flight Club video and Northernlions "lets look at" on Youtube. It's an amazing accomplishment for such a short development time, and with such a small group working on it. I definitely like the economic aspect of it, loosing money from crashing, and mission rewards. All you need now is something really good to do with it, something to work toward. I would be really interested in some more advanced missions offering higher reward at greater risk.

#29 Posted by sh0v0r (17 posts) -

Thanks guys! :)

As I've mentioned, I want to really expand on the game, there are a lot of potential ideas for making it bigger and better.

I am hoping that with some of the future updates (Multiplayer, Mining) that are planned it will be even more compelling and attract more people to play it and this will continue to fund its development.

Long term I have been in discussion with some friends about attempting a Kick Starter campaign to fund Lunar Flight 2 which would have much greater scope, different planets, different fictional craft to fly, greater variety of mechanics and game meta structure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.