Best way to play this game?

#1 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

I know next to nothing about Lunar, except that it's apparently fairly revered. Since I fancy myself some kind of JRPG aficionado, I figure I ought to give it a try sometime.

So, what's the best way to go? Sega CD's out, so I guess what I'm asking is, PS1 or PSP? I thought I'd feel around for what fans consider the PROPER Lunar experience. (Even though it's inaccessible to me, I'd like to hear any thoughts about the Sega CD version too.)

Also, as a secondary question, is the sequel worthwhile? I've heard considerably less about that one.

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9975 posts) -

Here's what I remember about my time with Lunar.

There's a lady in the moon. She gets naked and walks around. There's a blizzard. It's a snow moon I guess. Then you're this dude named Hiro GET IT and he has a pink dragon that is really more of a pink cat. The pink cat also talks and shits fire or something. Okay, so then you wander in a temple because it's a video game and the naked girl shows up and you get your first anime boners of your life. Then you try to save the girl from the evil empire that's trying to kill her, but she's like ridiculous powerful but she's also amnesiac and also not in your control. And then you wander around and you meet some guy who hangs out with you, and then a green haired girl who is like a ninja dancer type. And then you go to hot springs in which the naked girl walks at you and you get the second anime boners of your life. After that it all gets difficult to remember. I think you go to a forest.

#3 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

iOS! j/k!

#4 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

I say track down a PS1 copy of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, but I confess that I haven't really spent any time with the PSP game. It might be totally fine.

The sequel is great, it just wasn't as big of a deal when it came out and it's not the easiest thing to find. It also hasn't been ported as often, which is a shame.

Just don't play the GBA game. Or the DS game.

#5 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6229 posts) -

I've only played part of it, and hat's been on the PSP, but so far, it seems like a pretty great game if you like traditional JRPGs like I do. I don't see anything particularly wrong with the PSP version, either, but then again, I never played it on the PS.

#6 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

There's a lady in the moon. She gets naked and walks around. There's a blizzard. It's a snow moon I guess. Then you're this dude named Hiro GET IT and he has a pink dragon that is really more of a pink cat. The pink cat also talks and shits fire or something. Okay, so then you wander in a temple because it's a video game and the naked girl shows up and you get your first anime boners of your life. Then you try to save the girl from the evil empire that's trying to kill her, but she's like ridiculous powerful but she's also amnesiac and also not in your control. And then you wander around and you meet some guy who hangs out with you, and then a green haired girl who is like a ninja dancer type. And then you go to hot springs in which the naked girl walks at you and you get the second anime boners of your life. After that it all gets difficult to remember. I think you go to a forest.

Greatest game summation ever. Should be on the official box art.

#7 Edited by Zeik (2493 posts) -

I'd go with the PS1 version personally, but I admit I'm a bit biased, since that was the game I actually fell in love with. The changes they made to the PSP version I didn't feel really improved the game, plus they changed Ghaleon's voice actor, which is totally unacceptable. (Although perfectly understandable.)

Lunar 2 is definitely good, in some ways better than the original, but there's something special about the original that the second doesn't quite match. (And I played Lunar 2 first.)

@Brodehouse: That's Lunar 2.

#8 Posted by Slay3r1583 (617 posts) -

Since you haven't played Lunar before either version is fine.

It's probably just a severe case of nostalgia goggles but I thought the PSP version wasn't quite as good.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9975 posts) -

@Zeik: Aw snap

#10 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2164 posts) -

PS1 version.

#11 Posted by BBAlpert (1490 posts) -

@Piqued_Interest said:

@Brodehouse said:

Greatest game summation ever. Should be on the official box art.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

It'll give you 2 anime boners!

#12 Posted by Slay3r1583 (617 posts) -

I just had to hit up Youtube now. Listening to this again made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

#13 Posted by Zeik (2493 posts) -

SSSC has it's own hot springs moment. I actually think it's kind of hilarious how it's set up. You can access the men's hot spring no problem, but the female hot spring is only accessible through a labyrinth of overpowered monsters. But you do get to see Jessica almost topless, so totally worth it.

#14 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

The reason I'm prompted to ask is because I spotted a copy of the PS1 version at my local used game shop... priced at $50. Which I think is still pretty ridiculous, but it seems like that's the best I've ever seen that game at. I kinda don't want to spend that much... but it's not like I'm above dumbass purchases. At the same time, if the PSP version is comparable enough, then I'd just as soon pay $30 less or whatever it is.

@Slay3r1583: It's probably hard to quantify, then, but what do you like less about the PSP version? Do the 'enhanced graphics' take away some of the old charm, does the new translation hurt the flavor, or somethin' else?

@Brodehouse: I'm glad I made this thread, just for that.

#15 Posted by Slay3r1583 (617 posts) -

@Superkenon: I can't really pick just one thing. It was a combination of all the changes. Like I said it is just probably a case of nostalgia. Don't get me wrong the PSP version is still a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.