Contemplating getting a macbook.

#1 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

What kind should I get? I want horsepower, but the price is kinda steep on pros. Should I get a windows laptop?

#2 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Depends what you want to do.

I have a Macbook (it complements my iMac), but an entry level one.  It plays a lot of my games (mainly RTS), but that isn't why I got it.  If you really want grunt for games on a laptop, then a Windoes based one is probably better and cheaper.  It won't you smarter and cooler though :P
#3 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I got my first MacBook early last year, and I can say that machine wise, it really is the best computer I've ever owned. The Mac OS is a great OS as well, but if you don't like it, you can install Windows via a program called "Boot Camp". I recommend getting the more expensive 15" MacBook Pro if you have 2500 dollars. XD

#4 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Mac's are about 2-3 times more expensive than windows laptops at the exact same system specs. The OS also doesn't support most games. So yes, you should get a windows laptop. However, if you're planning on playing games, you should stay away from notebooks altogether. Gaming should be on desktops only in terms of computers since laptops overheat quite easily and have significantly lower specs all around.

#5 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
Geno said:
"Mac's are about 2-3 times more expensive than windows laptops at the exact same system specs. The OS also doesn't support most games. So yes, you should get a windows laptop. However, if you're planning on playing games, you should stay away from notebooks altogether. Gaming should be on desktops only in terms of computers since laptops overheat quite easily and have significantly lower specs all around. "
This is true but if your not crazy about PC gaming, I find the Mac OS much more efficient for anything non-gaming related. You will be spending more money than a typical Window's computer, but the build quality is superb.
#6 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

final cut pro

#7 Edited by JustinNotJason (421 posts) -

It's not the computer you have, it's what you do on it. If you're unfamiliar with OS X you won't be able to get as much done initially. However if you think you can get through the learning curve then by all means get a Mac. Just don't get it because you want to seem hip, get it because you think it'll help productivity.

If you want to game, then I'd say go for a windows computer, since Macs hardware is locked you won't get a desirable system at a good price.  Some people say macs are best for graphic design, but again that's all subjective. I think you could get as much done with just about any computer if you're familiar with it. As long as you think it'll do what you want then that's what you should go with.

Me personally I wouldn't get a mac because I don't think that dollar for dollar it's worth it. But that's me personally, for someone else it may be different. I've heard that Macs
are lower maintenance, and given that my Vista partition just crashed (actually probably my fault, I tinker to much :P ) that may be true.

That being said my Windows 7 partition is kicking :D

#8 Edited by JustinNotJason (421 posts) -
SathingtonWaltz said:
"Geno said:
"Mac's are about 2-3 times more expensive than windows laptops at the exact same system specs. The OS also doesn't support most games. So yes, you should get a windows laptop. However, if you're planning on playing games, you should stay away from notebooks altogether. Gaming should be on desktops only in terms of computers since laptops overheat quite easily and have significantly lower specs all around. "
This is true but if your not crazy about PC gaming, I find the Mac OS much more efficient for anything non-gaming related. You will be spending more money than a typical Window's computer, but the build quality is superb. "
That's not true  Apple really doesn't make any of their hardware. Their CPU's are made by Intel, their GPUs are nVidia and ATI. RAM, MoBo, and optical drives are all various companies. So the quality really depends on the manufacturer and so it's the same on both PCs and Macs.

I will say, I think their design is nicer, with things such as wire management and such. But even that can be fixed on any computer.
#9 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Yes, get a windows. To be honest, you'll pay way more then you want for a Mac, and their really quite poor quality, ESPECIALLY if you don't get the pro. My MacBook is the slowest, most difficult, tempermental machine ever. They still haven't really figured out the intel thing either, so thats a bit of an issue. And their flimsy as all hell. I lost 3 power cords to melting, and the keyboard cover is slowly cracking and chiping away. Plus, don't even think about using it on your lap. Fuckers burn at about 300 degrees. CELSIUS. Seriously, their pretty crummy. If you can get a Pro, maybe, but beyond that, no, you really shouldn't, and if your going to use it for gaming then FORGET about it. If you know how to use a computer, then just get a lappy (no big brands, go to somewhere like i-buy-power.com, not fucking HP or Dell) with XP. Macs are great for retards that need child safeties, but thats about it. The software on macs for EVERYTHING is less plentiful, FAR more pricey, and rarely as good as on PC. On PC, you can get damn near anything you need, perfect for your needs. On the Mac, there are a few good but very expensive software packages. You also get a lot more free stuff on the PC, but the Mac shareware enviroment is very healthy as well, so yeah. Macs are great for kids and old timers, beyond that PC is usually better, especially when your a gamer. And don't just assume you can use something like Paralells or Boot Camp, neither are as good as the real thing, especialy with the less then great hardware. Did I also mention that Apple has the worst customer care ever? Forget accident protection, you get to pay for a warentee that SHOULD be free, and there's just the one plan, which protects you from APPLE'S fuck ups. And then only occasionally. Plus, lets face it, a lot of Mac users just use Macs for the name so they can be pretentious, which gets annoying. If you want a good gaming computer, even if its just casual on the road gaming or whatever, get a PC. Its cheaper, and its better, especially if you know where to go.

#10 Posted by JustinNotJason (421 posts) -

Also realize you're on a gaming themed website asking advise about a computer that's not stellar with gaming. Just throwing that out there.

#11 Posted by Yit (761 posts) -

I have a great desktop computer for games, and I need a functional, useful laptop to get things done. I really need a good computer in terms of hardware, as I usually use Linux for my surfing/work.

#12 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
MordeaniisChaos said:
"Plus, lets face it, a lot of Mac users just use Macs for the name so they can be pretentious, which gets annoying."
Oh, fuck off.
#13 Edited by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
Yit said:
"What kind should I get? I want horsepower, but the price is kinda steep on pros. Should I get a windows laptop?"
Don't bother getting the most RAM or the largest harddrive. You can easily upgrade them yourself at half the price. Apple's software is always amazing, everything is streamlined and efficient. The hardware on the other hand... kind of meh and very overpriced. You don't need horsepower unless you're planning on doing heavy video editing or gaming.

Also, don't get an Air. It's like buying a gourmet burger with every condiment known to man and only getting the buns and cheese in return. Sure it's a lot smaller but you're missing too many key features to make it worthwhile.

#14 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"MordeaniisChaos said:
"Plus, lets face it, a lot of Mac users just use Macs for the name so they can be pretentious, which gets annoying."
Oh, fuck off."
I use my Mac because it's good...
#15 Posted by Vivek (517 posts) -

Mac are intuative and great. BUT for gaming they are not ideal. I have a gaming laptop Acer Gemstone Blue 6920G, which is usually great but has recently in the improving weather has struggled with over heating issues, that ive countered with dry ice (dont ask). Id say if you looking to spend big bucks on a computer by and high end desktop with a nice big screen and sound system. Ull appreciate it alot more.

On the otherhand........

If you do design, computer programming or video editing go for the mac. The thing with dual booting with Windows 7 is that it is NOT the same. Mac feature conflict with Windows (touchpad ect). 

Id say get a spec'd out desktop QuadCore, 4 Gig Ram, 8800GT GXF card, 22" screen and a 5.1 sound system 
#16 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
SathingtonWaltz said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"MordeaniisChaos said:
Oh, fuck off."
I use my Mac because it's good..."
Same. I've had two previous notebooks and a desktop and I enjoy using my MacBook more than any of those and the fact it's Apple branded has nothing to do with it. However, the fact it is a Mac does have a lot to do with it. I find it so much easier to run and so much quicker.
#17 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I love my MacBook. I got the cheapest one and never have problems with performance.

#18 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Yit said:
"I have a great desktop computer for games, and I need a functional, useful laptop to get things done. I really need a good computer in terms of hardware, as I usually use Linux for my surfing/work."
I think it would be good to look into getting a MacBook. Pros are indeed expensive, so you should probably look and see what you would need out of a laptop and see if a regular MacBook will fit your requirements.
#19 Posted by Boiglenoight (529 posts) -

You can get by with the base MacBook.  I have a MacBook Pro.  It has a tendency to burn the crotchazoid region, so if you're looking for a lappy that you can use in the buff (for whatever reason), use a pillow.  None of that sounds right, really.  Anyway, reiterating, entry level MacBook would be a good choice.

#20 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -
Th3_James said:
"final cut pro"
He doesn't mean programs, he means which macbook.
and don't +1 yourself.

Oh and by the way, I too am looking for the same as you.

brukaoru said:
"Yit said:
"I have a great desktop computer for games, and I need a functional, useful laptop to get things done. I really need a good computer in terms of hardware, as I usually use Linux for my surfing/work."
I think it would be good to look into getting a MacBook. Pros are indeed expensive, so you should probably look and see what you would need out of a laptop and see if a regular MacBook will fit your requirements. "
I will take this in consideration, it is exactly what I am looking for.

#21 Posted by TheHBK (5457 posts) -
Yit said:
Well if you are using linux, might as well not go with a macbook.  Currently the entry level one is a 2 ghz Core 2 duo with 2 GB of ram.  But thats for 1000 bucks, and you could get a better computer for less if it has windows on it.  Also, lots of retailers are having a promotion where you can upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out, which I must say is a big step over vista.
Apple computers are overpriced and you are paying for OSX which to me is not worth the premium.  And yes, it is true that apple doesnt make the components, but they put together the computer just like Dell and HP do.  Except Apple is charging you 1000 bucks for a laptop that in reality would cost 500 nowadays.  You could easily get a good core 2 duo processor with 4 gigs of ram for like 800 bucks.  And if you are willing to wait, the new iCore7 processors are coming out on laptops soon, those should be the shit and apple wont have them for a while.
#22 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

I converted from PC to Mac last week when I got my first Macbook. I am totally Mac illiterate today since the last Apple Computer I used was an Apple II, which was a long time ago. Needless to say, I bought the Mac for work, but now find myself using it for so much more. If you need power then go with a high end Macbook Pro. However, I suggest you seriously check with yourself on what you need this for before hand, because Macs don't have the widespread support that PC's do. However, what there is for Mac seems to be of much higher quality overall than what is offered for Windows. The thing that always bothered me about Windows is that there's millions of software programs available for it and almost all of them are garbage. If you do anything video, art, music, or web related then I definitely recommend getting a Mac over a PC. However, if you want this for gaming purposes then get a PC, and seriously just get a desktop, because gaming on a Windows notebook never pans out in the end. I have tried it multiple times and always found out in the end that you're just throwing money away buying a gaming notebook, regardless of how high end it is.

#23 Posted by TheHBK (5457 posts) -
Cerza said:
"I converted from PC to Mac last week when I got my first Macbook. I am totally Mac illiterate today since the last Apple Computer I used was an Apple II, which was a long time ago. Needless to say, I bought the Mac for work, but now find myself using it for so much more. If you need power then go with a high end Macbook Pro. However, I suggest you seriously check with yourself on what you need this for before hand, because Macs don't have the widespread support that PC's do. However, what there is for Mac seems to be of much higher quality overall than what is offered for Windows. The thing that always bothered me about Windows is that there's millions of software programs available for it and almost all of them are garbage. If you do anything video, art, music, or web related then I definitely recommend getting a Mac over a PC. However, if you want this for gaming purposes then get a PC, and seriously just get a desktop, because gaming on a Windows notebook never pans out in the end. I have tried it multiple times and always found out in the end that you're just throwing money away buying a gaming notebook, regardless of how high end it is."
Its true there is a lot of  crap out there but if you look, you find some gems here and there, for free too.  I think we all see that apple's argument that macs dont get as many viruses has gone by the wayside seeing as how we all know that the more widespread platform will get more attention.  And a good example we can all relate to is the Wii.  It has sold incredibly but the ammount of bad games on it is also due to the fact that it has sold more, so where will cheap games get pushes?  Where they can sell to the most people.  I think we saw it with the Playstation before, I can't remember how many barbie and pinball games there were for that thing.  But while I see the great things that MacOSX has, I can't justify spending that much for hardware that should be cheaper.  they are great looking computers but thats about the only reason i can see myself getting one, until the hardware and pricing is in line with PCs.
#24 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

im here to tr0ll and scream XP FTW!!!111oneoneoneoneoneone

#25 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

Get a windows based laptop your going to pay out the ear for a macboox when you could get the same power for much less in a windows laptop.

#26 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Any MacBook Pro and you will be fine. Get it. I am using it now. They are heavenly.

#27 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -
@crazymexicancarpi said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
"Geno said:
This is true but if your not crazy about PC gaming, I find the Mac OS much more efficient for anything non-gaming related. You will be spending more money than a typical Window's computer, but the build quality is superb. "
Or buy a real laptop for cheaper again with better specs, and for the guy who posted this 7 or 8 months ago, i hope you stayed away with anything  with 'i' at the start it defines the word fail. "
Bumping a 7 month old topic defines the word fail.
#28 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" @crazymexicancarpi said:
" @SathingtonWaltz said:
"Geno said:
Or buy a real laptop for cheaper again with better specs, and for the guy who posted this 7 or 8 months ago, i hope you stayed away with anything  with 'i' at the start it defines the word fail. "
Bumping a 7 month old topic defines the word fail. "
Wow, trolling a 7 month old thread?  He searched for this?  I can't wait to see what other Mac threads he drags out  ^-^
#29 Posted by crazymexicancarpi (66 posts) -

Ok like i replyed back to these two guys, im not trolling and im bored as, on a Monday night.  
xD
#30 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@crazymexicancarpi said:
" Ok like i replyed back to these two guys, im not trolling and im bored as, on a Monday night.  xD "
All is forgiven  ^-^ 

Welcome by the way.  Just try not to bump old threads, it isn't very popular.
#31 Edited by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

The Macbook is a great thing and supports some of the best video editing and music software on the consumer market . However if you want to play games then im afraid you are limited to a small number of titles . Also , And I'm not sure if this is a problem anymore , But i have compatablitly issues with the files between mac and Windows machines mainly Microsoft word etc. BUt i think they solved that now . Also you can run windows on it .... wait that kinda of solves the last thing i siad . Also they cost a pretty penny . But you get what you pay for . I have a macbook  and they are amazing little things .

EDIT : looks at date of OP .....oh well . Did you get one ? lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.