Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

iMac or Macbook?

• 57 results
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

This weekend I'm hoping to upgrade in the computer life cycle at last, the laptop I have niow is about 2-3 years old, and when I bought it the man said I'd be lucky if I'd be able to run The Sims 2. This didn't bother me as much back then because all I really wanted was the internet, but now with the rise of Steam I'm missing the games. So I'm going to go and buy either an iMac or a Macbook, In the future I do hope to own both an iMac and a Macbook, but due to money issues and I can't afford both. So which one do I get? 
    To help narrow it down I will be using it for games and internet and basic media management (Music/Films on my iPhone) and I may attempt some photoshop. I'm will be going on a financhal plan which would be £47 a month for the Macbook or £100-£120 for the iMac as I hope to get the 27inch model. Although I may end up getting the 21inch, depending on my mood. I have had a laptop for two years, it has never left my house apart from once, I don't really have any oppterunitys to use its portablity outside of bringing it downstairs, and my laptop is big and heavy.  
    What do you think, do you have either of theese? 

Also does a Mac play WOW, cause I would love to play that!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Dude, it all depends on whether you want a laptop or desktop. Both are fine products, it all depends on what you want.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By stonyman65

if you are using it for games, get a windows machine. Macs are bad for gaming, even with emulation and steam. The drivers just aren't there.

always go with a desktop too, if you are taking it with you then I would say laptop, but since you said you never take it out of the house then what is the point?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dany

Well, I would go for the 27 imac if you feel like you are not going to take the laptop out, although it is good to have the possibility. I have a 13 inch macbook pro and love it, fantstic laptop, good size, light.

What you have said kinda leans more to a imac.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hizang
    @Stonyman65 said:

if you are using it for games, get a windows machine. Macs are bad for gaming, even with emulation and steam. The drivers just aren't there.

always go with a desktop too, if you are taking it with you then I would say laptop, but since you said you never take it out of the house then what is the point?

All of my friends have them and are able to run the games I want to play so it seems ok for me. And because the Macbook is 50% cheaper.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why are you dead set on a Mac? Any particular reason?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Don't give apple money. It feeds the cancer that is Steve Jobs. 

norenewalfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By norenewalfee

All I can tell you is if you go iMac get the 27" over 21". Personally I´d get the iMac because I don´t have a need to carry my computer around. Especially since I have an iPad

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

It really just depends on whether you want a laptop or a desktop. You can always use Bootcamp later on if you want to run other PC games.

And yes, WoW is also available for Mac.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By imsh_pl

I always wondered why people think so highly of Macs. I mean, they're pretty damn expensive, and in exchange they are... pretty.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread
    @imsh_pl said:
    I always wondered why people think so highly of Macs. I mean, they're pretty damn expensive, and in exchange they are... pretty.
    I hate to be this guy but, if money is an issue, you can build an equivalent PC for a third of the price of a mac.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Buy a PC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

@NekuSakuraba said:

Buy a PC.

Why do feel like I've seen you write this before?

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By billyhoush

Seems like a waste of money for your needs. I own both macbook and imac. I use my macbook for day to day stuff like surfing the web and banking and I use my 27" i7 imac for video and sound production. I have to use final cut studio and logic for work which are mac programs. I use my ps3 and 360 for gaming because leisure time is living room. If you are using it for gaming and photoshop...you should just buy a cheap $500 PC.

Unless you are some sort of brand whore.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By subject2change

MacBook Pro or iMac. Since you are using any pro-apps (photoshop) i'd go with either of the two. A PC is a viable option as well. 

And Yes you can play WoW with a Mac.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Claude said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

Buy a PC.

Why do feel like I've seen you write this before?

:D

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sooty

Either way you will want to use Windows for games so use boot camp so you can dual boot.

OS X is terrible for games compared to Windows. You get like half the FPS you would in Windows.

One example is I can run StarCraft II super smooth on a mix of medium and high settings at 1280x800 on my MacBook when in Windows. When in OS X running the same game I can barely run it on low/medium.

Also I find OS X has weird mouse acceleration in Source games but I didn't spend much time changing the settings!

Edit: By the way the new MacBook Air and MacBooks are out soon (this month I bet, as soon as Lion releases) so don't go out and get one yet. They will be getting a considerable upgrade. (Sandy Bridge is pretty much guaranteed)

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By thebeast

Don't worry too much about the naysayers, the majority have never owned a Mac.

The choice is entirely based on how portable you want really; but a few points to help you mac your decision:

• The latest iMacs (only a couple of months old) are pretty damn fast. The sandy bridge i5/i7s are really speedy, and with the OS optimised for them, it'll probably be quicker than anything you've seen. Games run pretty well too, Source games, WoW, Starcraft, etc.
    • MacBooks are due for a refresh soon (with sandy bridge CPUs I assume) - they're not as powerful as the iMacs and generally have poorer graphics cards (unless you go for the more expensive models with the dual cards).

Seeing as you say you won't use it as a portable device very much, and you have a smartphone, I'd go with the iMac - you get a powerful computer with a great screen at a pretty decent price.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty
    @TheBeast said:

Don't worry too much about the naysayers, the majority have never owned a Mac.

The choice is entirely based on how portable you want really; but a few points to help you mac your decision:

• The latest iMacs (only a couple of months old) are pretty damn fast. The sandy bridge i5/i7s are really speedy, and with the OS optimised for them, it'll probably be quicker than anything you've seen. Games run pretty well too, Source games, WoW, Starcraft, etc.
    • MacBooks are due for a refresh soon (with sandy bridge CPUs I assume) - they're not as powerful as the iMacs and generally have poorer graphics cards (unless you go for the more expensive models with the dual cards).

Seeing as you say you won't use it as a portable device very much, and you have a smartphone, I'd go with the iMac - you get a powerful computer with a great screen at a pretty decent price.

The base iMac does come with a 512mb graphics card though which is a little bit worrying these days especially for a 1920x1080 screen.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/780310-how-much-vram-do-you-need.html

Quite a lot of games go over that limit there, but I do doubt the 6750 will be able to max any of them games out so it probably won't be an issue if you don't mind playing at lower settings and at worst having to drop the resolution down a notch.
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I don't hate Macs by any stretch - they do what they do very well...it's just that you pay a premium for what they do, and what they do isn't really all that cost effective if you want something to dick around and play games with.

Mac fans gets very defensive when you say that, but the fact is you can buy a PC that will run games far better for a fraction of the cost of any of the Mac variants....so why do you want a Mac?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sooty
    @Tim_the_Corsair said:

I don't hate Macs by any stretch - they do what they do very well...it's just that you pay a premium for what they do, and what they do isn't really all that cost effective if you want something to dick around and play games with. Mac fans gets very defensive when you say that, but the fact is you can buy a PC that will run games far better for a fraction of the cost of any of the Mac variants....so why do you want a Mac?

Pretty much this. I like my MacBook it's a nice product. I feel Apple have a big edge when it comes to the quality of their laptops so I can understand the price premium a little bit more with those but I completely disagree with the pricing of iMacs. They are costly for what they are.

£1000 for a machine with a 512Mb graphics card in 2011 is pretty hilarious. For that price you could build a complete PC with a Sandy Bridge quad, double the ram, a decent 24" LED monitor and a high end graphics card. (GTX 470/HD6870+ easily)

They'd be a more rounded deal if the graphics card was a bit better. They're still around £300 too expensive, though and the screen is only 21".

This is what my cousin bought for £930...I woulda cut some corners and got it down to £850 ish but it was still a decent deal
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By ReyGitano

I like iMacs, they look cooler than Macbooks.

Also this is a worthless answer, all depends on what you need.

I had the same problem and went with a laptop. I don't regret it, but I also didn't pay for a Macbook, but a PC. I don't have the money to pay a premium on... idk, something I obviously don't care enough about to acknowledge.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By l4wd0g

I use a Macbook Pro with a dual boot to Windows 7. A word of advice, get the warranty, my battery was bad and they are damn expensive.

You're also paying a huge Apple "tax." If you're OK with that, then enjoy your computer.

Avatar image for oppressivestink
    OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OppressiveStink

@Hizang said:

This weekend I'm hoping to upgrade in the computer life cycle at last, the laptop I have niow is about 2-3 years old, and when I bought it the man said I'd be lucky if I'd be able to run The Sims 2. This didn't bother me as much back then because all I really wanted was the internet, but now with the rise of Steam I'm missing the games. So I'm going to go and buy either an iMac or a Macbook, In the future I do hope to own both an iMac and a Macbook, but due to money issues and I can't afford both. So which one do I get?
    To help narrow it down I will be using it for games and internet and basic media management (Music/Films on my iPhone) and I may attempt some photoshop. I'm will be going on a financhal plan which would be £47 a month for the Macbook or £100-£120 for the iMac as I hope to get the 27inch model. Although I may end up getting the 21inch, depending on my mood. I have had a laptop for two years, it has never left my house apart from once, I don't really have any oppterunitys to use its portablity outside of bringing it downstairs, and my laptop is big and heavy.
    What do you think, do you have either of theese?

As someone who went to art school, I know how the pull of a Mac can be. Nice exterior design, nice walled garden approach to software, but don't do it. Don't buy a mac.

There is literally no reason to buy a Mac in today's world. They use the EXACT same hardware as a PC, they run the EXACT same production apps (save a few) and a PC is about 2/3s cheaper than a Mac.

There is 1, and only 1 reason to own a Mac, and that is for Audio editing. Because the MacOS is based on a version of Linux, it allows programs to have direct access to the processor and RAM, which allows for a higher bitrate when encoding music. Otherwise, Mac is at a severe disadvantage in just sheer number of software titles that run on the machine.

Do yourself a favor. Buy a PC. Save yourself a grand and invest it in buying a bunch of games, or buying a camera. You can still play with the people who own macs.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By mike

I went a bit of a different route....I built myself a desktop gaming PC and also bought a 13" macbook pro around the same time last year. Both great investments, and I use the macbook way more. It's a great machine, albeit expensive, and I'm totally in love with OS X.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tmthomsen

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I don't hate Macs by any stretch - they do what they do very well...it's just that you pay a premium for what they do, and what they do isn't really all that cost effective if you want something to dick around and play games with. Mac fans gets very defensive when you say that, but the fact is you can buy a PC that will run games far better for a fraction of the cost of any of the Mac variants....so why do you want a Mac?

I think that they think that people think more highly of them if they get a one. Either that or they've had terrible experiences with some PCs in the past.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Yanngc33

playing games with your macbook (pro) will set your knees on fire. Those things heat up real quickly

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ericdrum

I'm currently sporting a MacBook and iPhone4. They are both great products, in a vacuum. I love the form factor of the MacBook. As far as laptops go, it's the best one I've ever owned. Having said that, if I were you, I'd stay as far away from Apple as you can and just get a PC. Everything that Apple does is about locking you into their products for life. OSX is no Xanadu of operating systems. I have many more frustrations with it than I do with Windows. It works good and does what you need most of the time, but if you need to get into the nether regions of your OS, it can be very irritating. Plus some of the software I use for development is just frustrating with a Mac. A PC is cheaper and you can do so much more with it. When I get around to it, I'm just going to install Windows on my MacBook as I really do like the hardware.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By valrog

How about an actual computer?

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By iGaboru

I have the 27" iMac and for gaming I recommend the 21" model as it will be easier on the graphics card to play games at the monitor resolution. Both the MacBook Pro or iMac are fine gaming machines and both can run WoW flawlessly.

cartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cartvader

probably the best option - get a windows PC 
    next best is macbook. 

I'm not a fan of IMacs.  They are too difficult to repair when they break... and they break.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Badhands

Get. A. PC. I have owned an Imac and for anything other then maybe video editing (which is kind of botched now because final cut X) but anything beside that you will get FAR better performance from a PC that cost less.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GuyIncognito

Get a Mac Mini and a gaming PC...and a KVM switch.

blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blueaniman93

Seriously, if you are playing games, a Mac will not be good enough. It also sounds like you don't need it to be portable so get a desktop.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Hizang said:

If you're not moving around much, get an iMac.  I usually inhabit two different
    locations each week so I like having a Macbook Pro.  But I also have a PC at
    both locations for PC-based games (& an Xbox 360), although one PC currently
    needs repairs.  I still use the Mac extensively because I enjoy it but I like to have
    one system that I carry with me that has all the stuff I want to use.  Before the 
    Mac, it wasn't that much fun copying stuff on two PCs to keep them current
    with any data or installing games, or whatever.

When I look/use the Windows OS, it just  looks archaic by comparison.  Mac
    goes for taking the technical elements in their software & moving it behind
    the scenes as best as they can.  It lets you be more productive & focus on
    content, research, or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish; rather than
    be bogged down with oddball error messages & google searches to find
    out what is wrong with Windows this time around.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hizang

I've decided on an iMac, I think I'll be getting the 27 inch version.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By amir90

Are you a student? 
    Then get the macbook. 
    If not, you decide :D

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By EpicSteve

If you're concerned about playing games, you shouldn't even think about getting a Mac. Unless you work on media a lot, there aren't too many reasons to throw out the massive cash required for an iMac.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @Stonyman65 said:

Yo Boot Camp
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaunassNZ

It's kinda tough, Mac OSX Lion has mainly been crafted for Macbooks because they're the most popular. Things like multitouch gestures etc. will work better on the laptop. The only real reason you'll want a 27" is for PS etc. otherwise with playing games and the lot, the resolution will be a burden.  

Also, don't listen to people who say to get a PC. Obviously they don't get that Macs aren't "You pay a premium" and are actually "You get what you pay for". Apple support is incredible! And the hardware you are getting is reliable and actually pleasant to look at. Also, Mac OSX takes advantage of it's hardware. Put a Macbook next to a PC Laptop with the same specs and the Macbook will perform tasks a lot faster.  

Also there is Boot Camp for your Windows needs.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

My set-up is a little odd at the moment. I have a 5 year old iMac that I use primarily for uni, internet and media. On the other hand I have a high-end Asus gaming laptop that I use almost exclusively for gaming. I would recommend running an OSX and Windows machine concurrently. Next time I upgrade I will be getting a Mac Book and a gaming desktop though, as being able to upgrade my gaming machine would be nice. 

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cjmabry

Whatever you buy, just make sure it's not due for a refresh, like the MacBook is. MacBook Pro on the other hand is about halfway through it's usual update cycle, and the iMac's were just updated.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I, personally, would go for the MacBook Pro. The things are great to carry around and use anywhere like on the couch or in bed. You'd be sacrificing some power for portability but if the games you want to run aren't super resource intensive you should be fine. And you can always hook it up to an external monitor if you need to.

EDIT: And I will echo what @Tim_the_Corsair said.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Amilmitt

Get a PC you'll always get more for your money.
    My $700 PC laptop has equivilant hardware as the 17" macbook pro.  
    This picture proves how overpriced apple hardware is.

http://www.randompics.net/wp-content/main/2010_08/1282847851602.jpg

i dont care if their supports better or what ever you say, i get fine support with my computer and im able to do more than you can with a mac.
    Typing this while i get annoyed at our schools mac computers.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DonPixel

@Hizang: @TheBeast: You get Blizzard products and Source games... everything else like 80% of tittles even steam ones doesn't run on MAC (or run poorly).. why limit yourself?

I work in Macs at the office they fine machines but I strongly prefer PC for Gaming - Mods - Tittles - Drivers - Cards - Upgredability even price is better for a Windows based Gaming machine.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I say iMac. I've had my iMac for six years with zero problems.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By stonyman65

@ShaunassNZ said:

@Stonyman65 said:

Yo Boot Camp

Yo Boot Camp doesn't work.

well, technically, it does, but it is laggy, and not the experience you want for playing games.

and all of the people defending Macs... Linux dude, Linux. It can do the same thing and it is FREE. After all, OSX is just Unix with a shell over it..

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty
    @Stonyman65 said:

@ShaunassNZ said:

@Stonyman65 said:

Yo Boot Camp

Yo Boot Camp doesn't work.

well, technically, it does, but it is laggy, and not the experience you want for playing games.

and all of the people defending Macs... Linux dude, Linux. It can do the same thing and it is FREE. After all, OSX is just Unix with a shell over it..

Erm. I'm a PC guy and I run Windows 7 on my MacBook for gaming purposes, it is not laggy at all so I don't know where you're getting that from. It works fantastic for playing games.

The only problem with boot camped Windows 7 is the differences between the Mac and Windows keyboard layout. Well it's more of an annoyance than anything else. 

You know Boot Camp is just a dual booted OS, right? It's nothing different to a standard Windows install. Mac hardware is now just Intel processors and chipsets so it's obvious there's not going to be any glaring differences. 

Only thing Boot Camp does is make it easy to install the OS and set it up with the Mac boot loader. Oh yeah it comes with some drivers too which are all replaceable.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mnzy
    @Stonyman65 said:

I'm a Linux user and I disagree. Unlike OSX, Linux lacks a broad support of drivers, games and professional software and those are some of the main reasons people use computers.
    I don't care because I like the concept behind it and know my stuff by now but if you ever had to setup a printer in Linux that was not fully supported, you know what I'm talking about.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.