Mac Game/App Reccomendations.

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

My iMac should be arriving very soon, its the latest edition so playing games should not be an issue. I have never had any Mac in my life so need some reccomendtations for games and apps for the iMac. I have already decided on getting The Sims 3 and Plants VS Zombies GOTY edition, but I have no idea other than that, so lay down some reccomendations!

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13127 posts) -

Diablo III is coming out sometime this century...

#3 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Buy a PC.

...nah, don't wanna be that guy haha. TF2 runs pretty well on the Mac.

#4 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

Update it to Lion, you can get it for free for ordering so close to release day.

Get Portal 2 if you haven't played it, its the only game beyond some popcap games I would get the telltale games but I am simply terrible and have no patience to those games. Steam on mac is kinda limited but they actually have some newer games. I wouldn't try putting them on my macbook but i'd assume your imac could handle it.

@TooWalrus said:

Diablo III is coming out sometime this century...

Hah, funny joke!

#5 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -

Starcraft 2, Puzzle Agent, VVVVVV, Machinarium, Torchlight. The gaming landscape on Mac is sparse to say the least. 

#6 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Dany
You just reminded me I got the PS3 version of Portal and have that code thing, is that for Mac?

#7 Edited by Zyte (178 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Lmao. 

@Hizang: As Tim said, get Team Fortress 2 or any other Source game from Steam. 

EDIT: Oh, and get Minecraft too, of course!
#8 Posted by MajorToms (366 posts) -

@Hizang: yeah, you can play portal 2 PS3 version on PC or Mac as well. TF2 is also Free2Play, and I definitely recommend it.

#9 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Dany:
You just reminded me I got the PS3 version of Portal and have that code thing, is that for Mac?

Yeah, you can sign into/join steam from the ps3 and when you launch it on your mac, it will be ready to download

#10 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Does anybody know if the original Sims will work on the Current Mac? 

#11 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

If it is powerpc only, Lion actually dropped support for 'rosetta', a script to allow powerpc apps to work in intel machines.

If it has any support of intel you are fine.

#12 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

Killing Floor.

#13 Posted by Zyte (178 posts) -
@Hizang said:

Does anybody know if the original Sims will work on the Current Mac? 

I guess you could run Windows in VMware Fusion and play Sims 1 there.
#14 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
#15 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

StarCraft II plays fine. I just bought a Mac last week. Not a steam game but a hella of RTS game.

#16 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

KOTOR is on the Mac App store, if you have never played it you should. Not sure how many people play Call of Duty 4 online.

#17 Posted by tds418 (188 posts) -
#18 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@tds418: It was on sale when I got the Mac and I missed it, I'm waiting for it to go down again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.