Mac Gaming?

#1 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

Dear all,

I was wondering if there are any games for the mac that are similar to: Super Meat Boy, Braid, Limbo etc. like Shank? Who else better to ask than the GiantBomb community? Please let me know! Thanks!

#2 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

The Binding of Isaac....

#3 Posted by TurboMan (7734 posts) -

Well, buttpork89, first off welcome to Giant Bomb!

Braid is available for mac as of now, and SMB was being made for a mac port if I recall.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

The Binding of Isaac....

Beat me to it D:

#5 Posted by blackbird415 (778 posts) -

My girlfriend uses a macbookpro so I look at the mac section of the steam store often to see what might get her to play pc games more.

Theres the binding of isaac, not a platformer, but has its relations to super meat boy. Blocks that matter is also an interesting platformer puzzler that looks cool. Theres psychonauts as far as adventure games go, but i don't think thats what you're asking for.

#6 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Games.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Try the App store? There's all kinds of mac games there. Steam has some cool ones too.

#8 Edited by KZeni (88 posts) -

Check out the Mac section on Steam since there's a fair amount there: http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

Here's a few 2D platformer highlights if there's too much there to wade through... Trine, Gish, BIT.TRIP RUNNER, and VVVVVV (yeah... definitely get this if you don't already have it).

If you want to venture into a different type of game... The Polynomial, Crayon Physics Deluxe, World of Goo, Frozen Synapse, and Multiwinia are worth mentioning & are on steam. I tried to limit myself by not repeating earlier suggestions and keeping to the low budget games since you probably already know about Valve/Blizzard/etc's stuff.

#9 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -

No comments about Mac and Gaming being in the same phrase as blasphemy. I'm kinda shocked.

#10 Edited by KZeni (88 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

Try the App store? There's all kinds of mac games there. Steam has some cool ones too.

Well... Steam has come to dominate PC gaming for a reason. Purchasing games from the Mac App Store gives me a weird feeling for some reason... as if it's not the best way to go about purchasing/managing/playing games. Although, I did get War Pinball HD from the app store since it's quality pinball (something I haven't played in quite some time) on the cheap that wasn't on Steam (obviously added later as a non-steam game). From what I've seen, there aren't many games worth playing are on the app store & not on Steam, but there can be a few exceptions from time to time :-/

#11 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Knetic2341 said:

No comments about Mac and Gaming being in the same phrase as blasphemy. I'm kinda shocked.

I think people are finally having an education bashed into their heads. Kind of like you finally hear fewer people say things like "the Mac OS is a toy durp durp". (Note, those are always Windows people that say that). And, yet, almost everyone I know in my industry (heavily dominated by linux and solaris) carried a macbook pro around with them and uses it all day long.

Personally, I have a windows box exclusively for gaming, because I don't like waiting five years for them to show up on OSX (except Blizzard games). The if OSX is eventually wiped out in favor of a more iOSified system (really hope that doesn't happen), then games will start to play a much bigger part of the Apple ecosystem, since it'd basically be like designing games for the iPhone, but with different inputs.

#12 Edited by MB (13131 posts) -

Great username...classy!

#13 Posted by Ben_H (3439 posts) -

Oh wow that Binding of Isaac game looks neat.  I'm so getting that.   You can already get Braid.  Also, Machinarium

I run Super Meat Boy using a WINE program that emulates Windows Steam, then I install the Windows versions of games on my Mac.  It only works for some things and is kinda shaky though.  The maps with fire on SMB sometimes mess up and crash the game.

#14 Posted by billyhoush (1195 posts) -

Yeah. I am playing binding of isaac on my good old macbook. On my imac I play team fortress 2 and portal 2. Probably next game I'll get for it is diablo 3 whenever that comes out.

#15 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

I got Bit Trip Runner recently and it's been a blast! Thanks for all the replies! I'm still looking for something on a grander scale. But i'll keep looking at those suggestions!

@MB said:

Great username...classy!

And thanks! ;)

#16 Posted by Jeaz (60 posts) -

Psychonauts was recently released as Mac port as well, great game and works even on most MacBooks. Having been a long time Mac users and a gamer, it's quite exciting to see the changes just of the last year or so. With the Mac version of steam and Mac App store, gaming is really coming alive on the Mac. And we of course still have the boot camp, in worst case.

#18 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Just install Windows via Boot Camp, then games will run better and you get much more choice in the games you can play.

@Jeaz said:

Psychonauts was recently released as Mac port as well, great game and works even on most MacBooks. Having been a long time Mac users and a gamer, it's quite exciting to see the changes just of the last year or so. With the Mac version of steam and Mac App store, gaming is really coming alive on the Mac. And we of course still have the boot camp, in worst case.

I wouldn't really say gaming is coming alive, the performance on OS X is so bad compared to Windows. I doubt this will change anytime soon either OS X isn't about to add DirectX support. Outside of indie games support for OS X is still poor, and who can blame them? There's no DirectX support, developers are forced to use OpenGL or whatever and for 90% of games that results in terrible performance in comparison.

It's nice that more games support Mac, but ultimately you're stuck playing older games unless you can brute force them with really high end hardware. If you have a mid-range Mac you are sacrificing lots of FPS and will have to lower the settings, even though on Windows the games would run better allowing you to turn the settings up.

My MacBook Air has just been relegated to playing Frozen Synapse every so often, it's tempting to install Windows because then StarCraft II is at least playable (playable meaning 60fps) on medium/high settings, it runs awful on OS X. Then again, I never really play games on laptops anyway.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (4458 posts) -

@buttpork89 said:

I got Bit Trip Runner recently and it's been a blast! Thanks for all the replies! I'm still looking for something on a grander scale.

Minecraft is a game thats on a grander scale. There is just so much to do in that game it's kind of overwhelming.

Cave Story is also a great game. I think the original is still available for free while the upgraded graphics/audio version is pretty cheap.

#20 Posted by NakAttack (1292 posts) -

@MB said:

Great username...classy!

You're just jealous the he has the balls to do what you couldn't. yeah that's right I know what MB really means...

MeatBaton :)

#21 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

the fun of mac gaming, you pretty much have nothing

i have a mac, so i play xbox

#22 Edited by Jeaz (60 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Just install Windows via Boot Camp, then games will run better and you get much more choice in the games you can play.

@Jeaz said:

I wouldn't really say gaming is coming alive, the performance on OS X is so bad compared to Windows. I doubt this will change anytime soon either OS X isn't about to add DirectX support. Outside of indie games support for OS X is still poor, and who can blame them? There's no DirectX support, developers are forced to use OpenGL or whatever and for 90% of games that results in terrible performance in comparison.

It's nice that more games support Mac, but ultimately you're stuck playing older games unless you can brute force them with really high end hardware. If you have a mid-range Mac you are sacrificing lots of FPS and will have to lower the settings, even though on Windows the games would run better allowing you to turn the settings up.

My MacBook Air has just been relegated to playing Frozen Synapse every so often, it's tempting to install Windows because then StarCraft II is at least playable (playable meaning 60fps) on medium/high settings, it runs awful on OS X. Then again, I never really play games on laptops anyway.

I doubt you'll get good performance using Windows with an Air anyways. That is probably the biggest difficulty with gaming on Macs - the majority are using laptops and expect them to work as gaming computers.

Yes, Direct X is an advantage for Windows, but OSX itself isn't bad for gaming. You mention Starcraft 2 and I get pretty much the same performance in OSX as I do in Windows. Actually, when I live stream which I do occasionally, it gets really bad in Windows but still ok in OSX.

Also, another problem with Mac games is that they are rarely pure ports. Transgaming is great at bringing games to the Mac, but they aren't real ports and thus running with a bottle around them, slowing performance. Still, games like FIFA12 and Dragon Age 2 runs without any problems on OSX for me.

But with both the Unreal and Source engine fully ported to Macs, plus the similarities between iOS and OSX in programming, we'll see more and more current games coming to Mac.

As a side note and real odd one, I get better performance running League of Legends, using a Parallels Desktop emulated Windows, than I do using Bootcamp. But I blame cruddy boot camp drivers for that.

#23 Posted by Catfish666 (191 posts) -

I would also recommend checking out Ambrosia Software's selection:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com

They never made a name amongst PC users, but old macheads may remember this name, yours truly included just recently having bought myself a gaming PC. Back in the '90s mac users had 2 names making games, Bungie for boxed ones and Ambrosia for shareware. Ambrosia releases were big occasions! They made a really dope space fighting & trading sim series (Escape Velocity) and the best swivel chair combat simulator to date!

Looks like they're pretty much just doing casual games, a lá solitaire and sudoku, but games like Pop-Pop, Sketch Fighter and EV:Nova still stand hold up, if you ask me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.