Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mac

Platform »

The Macintosh (Mac) line of personal computers is designed and developed by Apple, Inc. - formerly Apple Computer, Inc. It runs macOS, a Unix operating system. Its current version, macOS 13.4 "Ventura" was released on May 18, 2023.

Mac gaming with a windows partition

michaeldunne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By michaeldunne

Hey everyone, just switched to Mac and I was thinking about making a windows partition on my hard drive cus I've got a tonne of games on steam, but it has an intel graphics card, and I'm wondering if it's worth the hard drive space if it doesn't have a NVIDIA card, I wouldn't be running anything to graphics heavy but most games don't specify if they run on intel, would really appreciate some insight into this topic

thanks

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

i'm on a mac with a windows partition and it works fine for what i want. i didn't buy a mac with the intention of hardcore PC gaming but i can play some games here and there. Team Fortress 2 is probably the most graphically intense game that i intend on playing and it runs perfectly.

if you're worried about hard drive space, it's probably worth it if you intend on playing games on some sort of regular basis. i put aside like, 80 gb of space or something and it's worked out fine for me considering all of my videos, songs, images, etc. are all on my Macintosh HD (which you can access from Windows). everything i've tried running works fine on the Intel HD 4000 (or something) that my Macbook has.

michaeldunne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By michaeldunne

Yeah I didn't intend on buying the mac for gaming either, but it still would be nice to play some of the old games from my PC that don't support OSX, thanks man!

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @michaeldunne: I've been doing this with my MacBook Pro as a solution for crappy Mac gaming support and its been working like a charm. The most intensive game i've played was X-Com and when put it to low settings it ran as smooth as butter which made me very happy. 

My specs are: 

Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 

Memory  4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB 

Now i'd recommend partitioning it by a good big chunk, it's a huge hassle to change it down the line without deleting all your data, my 70gb partition is almost full and I only have 3 games installed! 
    killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By killacam

@Dylabaloo: so how much of that 70 gigs does the OS take up?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnow
    • If you have an integrated Intel graphics card along with four Gigabytes of RAM, upgrade to eight Gigs.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1199951

• Never underestimate how much hard disk space you'll need. I futilely spent two full weeks fighting with my 2011 13" and tried a dozen different programs in an attempt to non-destructively modify my partitions.
    • If some of those old games you mentioned are DOS, you can't get easier or prettier than Boxer.
    jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jdh5153

@michaeldunne said:

Hey everyone, just switched to Mac and I was thinking about making a windows partition on my hard drive cus I've got a tonne of games on steam, but it has an intel graphics card, and I'm wondering if it's worth the hard drive space if it doesn't have a NVIDIA card, I wouldn't be running anything to graphics heavy but most games don't specify if they run on intel, would really appreciate some insight into this topic

thanks

I game on my 13" MacBook Pro (from 2012, 2.5ghz, Intel HD 4000, 8gb ram) and it works just fine. I play Saints Row 3, Half Life 2, Mass Effect 2, and all kinds of crap without the slightest problem. I did buy a cooling pad because the MacBook gets pretty hot while gaming.

You'll be fine.

Also I made the Windows partition like 60gb, but all of my Steam games are installed to an external HD which is nice and it works just fine that way.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By amir90

Intel GPU? Hmm, that probably won't perform well :p

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Dylabaloo

@killacam said:

@Dylabaloo: so how much of that 70 gigs does the OS take up?

"At least 16 GB of free space on the disk onto which you’re installing for 32-bit, or 20 GB for 64-bit (for Microsoft Windows and Windows-based applications)." According to the official Bootcamp support page.

michaeldunne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By michaeldunne

Sweet! gonna bootcamp tomorrow, thanks everyone for the support!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.