MacBook Pro (but not for games)

#1 Posted by Entmoot (96 posts) -

It's a real shame that when I want to play a game on my MacBook Pro I am met at every turn with a new obstacle. These machines have decent power, but maybe they belie their true gaming prowess. All I know is that I am disappointed, especially with the lack of support from third party developers. 

#2 Posted by Mikemcn (6940 posts) -

If you want to play PC games, don't get a mac.

#3 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Yeah, it is kinda the unspoken compromise when you buy a mac but they have been getting better in the past few years, more games support mac but don't compare to PC.

#4 Posted by Mikemcn (6940 posts) -

And doesn't steam work with Mac? Try that, you could at least play some Valve games.

#5 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

what mikemcn said, check out steam see if those games work. you have to look around to find a game that works on macs, i guess.

#6 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

OS X is garbage for games even with Steam support. You need to run Windows really, the framerates compared to the OS X versions of games is always much better in Windows pretty much. There's very few exceptions to this.

Of course it's fine for simple 2D and low level 3D games (older games) but when you're playing a newer title you'll want every bit of FPS you can get, especially on laptop graphics, for that reason you should boot camp Windows.

#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Well, truth be told, I played Portal 2 in my macbook pro 13" and it was fine. some jitters here and there but overall it was fine.

#8 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@Entmoot said:

It's a real shame that when I want to play a game on my MacBook Pro I am met at every turn with a new obstacle. These machines have decent power, but maybe they belie their true gaming prowess. All I know is that I am disappointed, especially with the lack of support from third party developers.

Why are you crying about not being able to play games? You bought a Mac. What did you expect?

#9 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:

#10 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

That's why giving apple money is a very terrible thing to do.  

#11 Posted by Xsheps (114 posts) -

They don't have the game library of PCs but do have Blizzard games, the Civilization series, and a good library of (very) casual games and iOS ports on the Mac App store.  Just don't expect to play the most recent shooters and adventure games without some type of windows installation.

#12 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

It's not the laptops fault it's OSX's fault. Bootcamp windows XP or 7 on it and you should get a noticable increase in performance. I need to upgrade my 160gig hard drive out of my MBP before I do this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.