Where are all the Mac games?

#1 Posted by baconbits33 (1156 posts) -

Now someone please tell me if  this has been asked before, but where are all the mac games? Seriously? Macs are supposed to have just as capable graphics as the next best PC gaming computer (or so I've been lead to believe). Now Macs aren't all too cheap too so obviously someone who buys a Mac has money, and why gaming companies haven't tapped into this market is beyond me... And hasn't Steve Jobs been trying to get gamers more interested in Macs? 
Now there is the argument that most Mac users are family oriented people or they are more middle aged, well don't families have kids? And kids play video games now don't they? Plus aren't most gamers (once again this is all I've heard from recent surveys) middle aged anyways? So..... wtf? Is it a coding issue? 

#2 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1297 posts) -

Steam is available for Mac now...go dl.

#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Lol macs...gaming? capable?  Rofl.

Yes mac users can now lag the rest of us out at team fortress 2 using steam with their mediocre overpriced, underpowered hardware. Honestly if you want to game, at least get a pc. Steam is now available on macs without boot camp and linux will eventually be available too.  

To the next post, prove me wrong that macs are totally gaming machines? How am I suppose to not laugh? How can a pc gamer understand a mac?

#4 Posted by Dipstick (546 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Yes mac users can now lag the rest of us out at team fortress 2 using steam with their mediocre overpriced, underpowered hardware. Honestly if you want to game, at least get a pc. Steam is now available on macs without boot camp and linux will eventually be available too.

"
HEY GUYS,Dipstick here letting you know that this guy is a troll. 

K....bye 
#5 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

It's all down to Microsoft being in charge of DirectX, and DirectX being what game developers have known and used for so long now. Games capable of being easily ported between the two are written in a more open API like OpenGL. Little by little, as more services like Steam make their way to the Mac, people are starting to see the benefit in going multi-platform. It just isn't worth it to some, as the Mac userbase is much smaller and doesn't have access to all the beefy hardware; only what Apple includes and supports in their machines.

#6 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1420 posts) -
@Dipstick said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
HEY GUYS,Dipstick here letting you know that this guy is a troll.  K....bye  "
#7 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Hey guys I think I've seen this thread before

#8 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@LethalKi11ler said:
" @Dipstick said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
HEY GUYS,Dipstick here letting you know that this guy is a troll.  K....bye  "
"
Troll or not, he's more or less right.
#9 Posted by InTheEnd (268 posts) -

Oh come on! Just look at the Apple store, there's a shit load of games. Also Steam. Sure, if you walk into any electronics store, you'll probably won't encounter a lot of Mac games. Even then stuff like Crossover or Cider enables some Windows game to run natively on OSX.

#10 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

#11 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -
@baconbits33: Most games these days use the DirectX API which is made by microsoft and is only available for windows. Macs and Linux use OpenGL which is an open standard that most developers do not use. When you code your game with OpenGL its really easy to port it to Mac and Linux. 
#12 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

you can try OnLive i hear it works for Mac's and you can play the 19 games it has available :)

#13 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Steam? They are on there way. I just bought Counter Strike: Source!

#14 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Welcome to 1984.

#15 Posted by Zidd (1857 posts) -
@InTheEnd: Cider makes games run like garbage. They are literally the shittiest kind of port you could even make.
#16 Posted by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" It's all down to Microsoft being in charge of DirectX, and DirectX being what game developers have known and used for so long now. Games capable of being easily ported between the two are written in a more open API like OpenGL. Little by little, as more services like Steam make their way to the Mac, people are starting to see the benefit in going multi-platform. It just isn't worth it to some, as the Mac userbase is much smaller and doesn't have access to all the beefy hardware; only what Apple includes and supports in their machines. "
This is the truth.
#19 Posted by JamesJeux007 (496 posts) -

Haven't you heard ? Linux is where it's at now.

#20 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.