Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

lack of review copies concerning

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

doesnt bode well, but im still hopeful, all the gameplay demos look awesome.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

This has 3 stars written all over it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

people are streaming it on Twitch already (and they aren't being shut down). If you're really concerned go watch one for a bit. It looks like they have an Assassin's Creed problem of just too much stuff to do. Hopefully they give us a reason.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Doesn't help the fact that Max looks generic as hell. Or that he reminds me of Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the game of Saturday, but I have just been playing Metal Gear. If I play it today I will report back.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What good are review copies these days? Most reviews are shallow and many others are paid off, like with that whole MGSV boot camp fiasco. Few reviewers know what I from a game. I'd rather read the opinions of amateur reviewers and forum dwellers. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the game, judging from everything I've seen and read.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

@beachthunder: The secret of that image is less about kids and demographics and more about how modeling good looking hair is pretty damn hard. Phantom Pain looks amazing, but Snake's face stubble still looks pretty damn janky. It's just easier to make a character that ends up looking, more or less, like one of those characters - which incidentally while all looking quite similar are all vastly different.

As for Mad Max, yah, it didn't look like it's going to set the world on fire.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Frybird

I played a bit on Gamescom, mostly Car related. The car chases/battles are pretty fun (Avalanche does thier thing by once again making a grappling hook (or rather harpoon) the star of the show) and lets you do cool stuff, the enviroment was a somewhat bland desert, as probably expected.

Can't say much about the on-foot gameplay, running around seemed a bit fiddly, but not too bad. Structually it looks very much as you'd expect from an open world game, Side Quests and stuff to collect and whatnot...can't say much more about it though.

My somewhat educated guess is that it will get decent, if not overly entheusiastic reviews. If you are not really into driving around and battling with other cars, you probably find better games elsewhere (Just Cause 3 perhaps), but as a Open World Mad Max game, it seems rather worthy i think.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Good for you man. However, I think the point being made is that a lack of review copies is generally a good indicator that there are problems with the game and the publishers don't want negative reviews to affect pre-orders.

It's also worth bearing in mind that a lot of those amateur reviewers are also being paid off. They're a lot cheaper to bribe than pro's.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By a_e_martin

People have been getting early copies in the UK and the word of mouth seems to be really positive. I mean, I'm not expecting new and innovative gameplay from this, nor do I see it setting the world on fire. But it looks to be a solid, atmospheric open-world game which fits well into the Mad Max universe and does justice to it, and that's exactly what I want right now.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WB doesn't release early review copies it seems it was the same with batman and mordor, one was good the other was broken on one platform.

ScottG13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Twitch streams seem pretty positive. If you don't like this style of open world collecting/missions/combat, you're not going to like it. If you like hitting up all those icons on the map and customizing your gear/car, you'll probably enjoy. I'm really looking forward to both Mad Max and MGS5.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bceagles128

I may pick this up after mgs and before fallout. XCom 2 delay has left a big hole in my calendar.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Feedback from those with early copies have been largely positive, expecting a mid 80s metacritic score I reckon.. At least the reviews will be moee trustworthy than the mgs v ones when they finally come to light.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hasn't it been on sale all over the place before release too? I want to say even console version have been on sale somewhere.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lukeweizer:

The grey market has been down to around $20 and some other sites one would call more trustworthy (From the few times I've used key sites, I haven't had any issues but there have been issues before) have been closer to $30

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By kaos_cracker

They are probably pretty confident, they been showing of over and hour of footage here and there and it seems like a decent game. I am getting it tomorrow. They probably are a little concerned with MGS V coming out the same day and if people compared reviews, they would probably pick MGS V. Also, there just may be an embargo on it, like 90% of the games that get released.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@instantryan: Is that for consoles or just PC though? I've seen it as low as $20 on cdkeys.com, and they're trustworthy (albeit 3rd party PC Key seller).

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukeweizer: Just PC prices since I haven't been looking at console prices lately. The only sales I've seen on physical copies was $15? off on Newegg (Was PC) and lately Dell has been giving gift cards with pre-orders. I might have seen some stuff over in Europe but it still seems doing GCU at best buy is the cheapest option the majority of the time.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mike

@lukeweizer said:

@instantryan: Is that for consoles or just PC though? I've seen it as low as $20 on cdkeys.com, and they're trustworthy (albeit 3rd party PC Key seller).

I wouldn't go so far as to call cdkeys completely trustworthy. They have had numerous problems in the last year or so with mass amounts of keys getting revoked after sale, namely in the case of Sniper Elite III (Again - this game was super cheap, around $20 before release on cdkeys and other sites...awfully similar to the situation happening currently with Mad Max.) Then CDkeys had a bunch of UPlay keys get revoked by Ubisoft for Far Cry 4 when it was revealed that thousands of them were bought with stolen credit cards and then resold on CDkeys and other gray market sites.

So there definitely IS a risk when buying from companies like these, sometimes with little recourse if you do happen to get a key revoked after sale. The developers may not even be seeing a single cent from some of these third party sales. I'd call it a gamble at best, if that's worth it to you and you don't care where the money is going then I guess it's a valid option.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By cornbredx

I'm going to get it- probably day of release. Probably a box copy too. I don't really care about reviews on this one. It can't be worse than the NES one, and it's Mad Max. I even loved the NES game just because it was Mad Max. I guess I'm a fan boy.

My only concern is that it's playable and not a ugly mess like Batman, but it's a different developer so I don't think that will be a problem. I don't recall Avalanche having that issue in the past where-as Rocksteady has. So, for me, I'm not worried.

Edit: Oh... apparently there is no PC boxed copies. So I guess I wont be getting a boxed copy.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@humanity said:

@beachthunder: The secret of that image is less about kids and demographics and more about how modeling good looking hair is pretty damn hard. Phantom Pain looks amazing, but Snake's face stubble still looks pretty damn janky. It's just easier to make a character that ends up looking, more or less, like one of those characters - which incidentally while all looking quite similar are all vastly different.

so what you are saying then is that Furiosa should have been the star instead of Max?

I'd be okay with this
    I'd be okay with this

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@oursin_360: Shadow of Mordor's reviews came out a week early, iirc.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Humanity

@slag: In many ways she was.

EDIT: Oh you mean the game.. ehh this thing is only tangentially related to the movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Reviews are meaningless; some of my favorite games are the ones that weren't reviewed well while highly praised games like Arkham Knight I thought was absolutely terrible.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Phil Kolar from Polygon just posted his review - 5.0

Pogman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting mixed reviews, that means I'm waiting for a Steam sale.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN's review just convinced me to order it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By handlas

Still looks pretty awesome to me... everything I see about it. Bummed it didn't get really great reviews but seems to be getting good ones. Looks like something I'll enjoy so I'll be picking it up.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Nodima
    ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardly any promotion, no season pass, release day review embargo, same day as MGSV, a publisher always know's the quality of its games WB lack of faith is telling. Mad Max spent 5+ years in development and was re-tooled at some point it should have been out last year on last gen, the best you can hope for is an average open world action game in a Mad Max skin.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Atwa

I played the first hour on PC.

Port is outstanding, runs at 1440p maxed without a single dropped frame. Looks outstanding, the explosions and skyboxes are some of the best I have ever seen. The weighty feeling of the car is outstanding and really makes the impacts feel heavy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

Gamespot drops a 6.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mad-max-review/1900-6416232/

Seems like the consensus is it's one cool idea with way too much fluff surrounding it to make it a big budget product.

Seems like it's a classic case of open world gameplay vs story, and he didn't like the combat. I'll give it a shot in an hour and see, mad max's story has never been all that great so if the gameplay is fun i'll be alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has 3 stars written all over it.

This is equal to a bad game somehow?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very much down for a decent open world game with Mad Max. I don't need it to be a GOTY contender, there's room for a fun podcast game in my library once it's down in price.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@humanity said:

@slag: In many ways she was.

EDIT: Oh you mean the game.. ehh this thing is only tangentially related to the movies.

yeah I meant the game, given your comment about rendering hair.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about an hour and really like the game so far. It runs pretty great at 1440p(DSR) constant 60fps with no drops at all yet. Haven't had a bunch of cars on screen yet so that may change. I may try and up the resolution and see what happens. As far as on foot stuff, it does seem extremely simple so far but it's not bad and allows for some cool looking moves. Weird glitch where every resolution reverts to 24hz, but it doesn't seem to actually change it in game. I can see myself putting time into this game and enjoying myself, after MGSV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Phil Kolar from Polygon just posted his review - 5.0

Haha, Polygon. Phil, like Gies is wrong about every game they review. Can't take the site seriously.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Same as you, the game is running extremely smoothly after the hour or so I've played with settings on High (i7-2600 and a R9 280)

I haven't read much of the reviews yet but I think some of my initial concerns were probably covered

• It could be my controller but I need to find the right sensitivity for the camera since it's sucked so far, which makes the car driving feel like crap initially. Hitting breakable rocks can really spin you around at times.
    • Melee combat is basically slower Batman. Seems to be a slight delay on counter (Which I think Batman was faster to respond) so you have to watch your mashing a bit.
    • So used to playing Witcher lately that I keep using my shotgun instead of dodging (B is gun and RB is dodge)

For now, that's what has stuck out to me. They seemed to have gotten the feel of a Mad Max world down from what little I've seen. I also really like the sound so far and it looks fairly good. The little tidbits of info just makes me excited to rewatch the latest movie tomorrow.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avalanche made the game and I'm a fan of them and thats why I didnt care about the reviews.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.