Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

Mad Max 20 min IGN gameplay video, looks good

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By onarum

yep, we have the equivalent to tower climbing and arkham combat as one would expect from an open world game these days, but it still looks good.

I like the car combat stuff, the idea that you'll have your main vehicle to use in contrast to something like Just Cause where vehicles are these one time use things

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A damn shame it comes out the same day as MGSV: Phantom Pain. Baffling business choice! MGSV won't be leaving my disc drive for a loooong time.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: yeah... still something nice to play at a later date, but then Just Cause 3 comes out in december heh.. but hell I'm still going to play this thing no matter what, I like mad max too much not to

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Looks alright. I can't say I was super excited watching it. The car combat seems to have typical car combat issues and the melee is kinda uninspired.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

This game continues not to seem very much like Mad Max whenever I see it.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like it has pretty much everything I'd want from a Mad Max game. If this turns out to be as good as it seems, MGSV might have to wait its turn.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Melee looks cool, car combat looks boring like all car combat. Wasteland looks huge and empty (i guess it has to be) but doesn't seem to be a good place for open world.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Maybe it was the fact that the guy presenting the game in the article couldn't seem any less enthused, but watching this made it look really boring. I'm still holding out hope that it's somehow great fun, but man...this really looks like a modern open world-ass modern open world game. The car stuff could be the saving grace of the whole thing, if the customization is really as robust as it looks. I'm also really into harpooning dudes and flinging them with your car, as well as the ludicrous gibs from hitting guys with the thunder sticks.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I dunno, it looks kind of bland to me.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

100% faith in this, 5 years by the devs of Just Cause 2.
    I'll get it, but after I spent 150 hours with MGS V.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Looks great. I just hope no one gets offended by all the chained up women and stuff.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Looks pretty good, it's using a lot of parts we've seen before in games but it seems to be doing them well and as a long time Mad Max fan, pretty psyched that it looks like we're gonna get a good game.

The guy mentioned helping strong hold leaders and making them stronger and thrive, I hope that's a decent and fleshed out part of the game. It would be cool to build up a sizable force of people to help you out in a meaningful way. I hope it's not just "this person will give you a ten percent discount on ammo" and that's as deep as it goes. It'd be awesome to have a group of dudes show up in cars on your request and help you do dirt in the wasteland.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Windir2112

@asilentprotagonist: Yep. I'm looking forward to Mad Max, but I've been waiting for MGSV for 7 fucking years. Sorry Mad Max, but you're going to be a game I obtain way later on sale.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Maybe it was the lack of energy from the dev talking over the demo (and I don't blame him, given they're at Gamescom), but that demo just seemed kinda...lifeless? Don't get me wrong, I will play this game...Just after MGSV. And maybe after a sale. I dunno. I hope it's great, but...I'm not letting myself get too excited.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Man why does this have to come out the same day as MGSV. I'm on a limited budget and its either this or MGS and that is not a hard choice for me to make. But at the same time i'm interested in this game. First world problems I know.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By SomberOwl

Pretty sure I'm going to get this unless there are some damning reviews for it. I was kind of hoping it would be delayed to a more convenient time but oh well. This would actually be a great game for right now.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is basically Shadows of Mordor, but in a different universe and with cars. Sold

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

As much as I like the Arkham games, I'm a huge Batman fan, I don't need to play more games that mimic that style of combat. Besides none of the games outside the Arkham series that have tried to copy that combat system haven't been close to nail the responsivenes and fluidity of the Batman games. Not even Mordor reached the Arkham series level in terms of the feel of the actual combat but it did introduce the nemesis system which I hope to see expanded upon in the future.

Regarding this game I hope it's good but I probably won't play it until it's cheaper and Witcher 3 is taking up all my gaming time at the moment.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

Looks interesting, but it is a shame that it comes out the same day as MGSV. I will definitely get this game, but perhaps several months after it launches (due to putting focus into MGSV and Super Mario Maker for all of September/most of October).

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By aktivity

I'll probably get it, mostly because I like Batman combat and there not being any other game of interest to me. Hopefully the story is interesting enough for me to put up with the car combat though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It looks like Ride to Hell that doesn't suck, which could be good or bad depending on your outlook. No legendary quick looks in the future I'd wager.

It does look nice though, I'll give it that. If it's even passable I'm going to give it a shot because Mad Max. Also Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is a great game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks alright. I took the gamble and preordered it because it's only $36 right now. This interests me more than MGSV.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mad Max is ringing all sorts of alarm bells less than a month till release hardly any promotion or gameplay videos a AAA game without a season pass from Warner Bros yeah right. Don't buy Mad Max its being sent out to die for a reason.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

The movement and feel of the game look so damn good!

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait for news on how the PC port is.

#boomnailedit

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By stinger061

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never played MGS so Mad Max will be a great time filler for me to play until Fallout 4 arrives.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepanzini said:

Mad Max is ringing all sorts of alarm bells less than a month till release hardly any promotion or gameplay videos a AAA game without a season pass from Warner Bros yeah right. Don't buy Mad Max its being sent out to die for a reason.

well, I know what you mean but I don't think that it really is an indication that the game might be bad, no season pass might actually be a point in it's favor as far as I'm concerned.

People shouldn't pre order games anyway period.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Launching this thing on the exact same day as MGSV is the single fuckin' strangest move I've seen for awhile.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting really excited for this game even though I was kinda "meh" on it when the first images started coming out. Too bad it's coming out alongside MGSV.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm definitely interested in the game. Even a decent Mad Max game could be awesome enough to me to play it through. I've been on the Mad Max bandwagon for years, and not just because Fury Road was finally unleashed.

But man, releasing it on the same day as the final Hideo Kojima Metal Gear Solid game? That's a tall fucking order. Really seems like it's being set up for failure, unless they keep expectations in sales in perspective and don't somehow expect the thing to sell like gangbusters.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got no problem with low energy demos (MGS V has a very laid back presenter for the English videos) but that guy didn't do much for the hype meter. I guess snoozy monotone is better than fake morning radio host, though.

As for the game, it looks like Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 had a baby. Basic melee system with counters and a meter draining rage mode, towers to climb that reveal locations, nice sized open world filled with things.

It could be pretty good if the car combat has some depth and controls well, and the melee combat is at least Batman levels of ok. It's just...Metal Gear, man. Even if you've never played a single MGS game, the depth and fidelity of that just seems to toss one of those exploding spears into Mad Max and smear it over the landscape.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A damn shame it comes out the same day as MGSV: Phantom Pain. Baffling business choice! MGSV won't be leaving my disc drive for a loooong time.

I'm more interested in Mad Max.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Launching this thing on the exact same day as MGSV is the single fuckin' strangest move I've seen for awhile.

The Blu-Ray for Mad Max: Fury Road comes out on September 1st as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing that on purpose. I know the game isn't tied to the movie per say. But one can help to hype the other, hell if it wasn't for the movie I wouldn't be half as excited for this game as I am right now, I just want to play around in a world that even resembles parts of the movie.
    So that's my theory, no concrete evidence or anything besides the release date for both, but it wouldn't be the first time a game came out to coincide with a movie release.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the car handles well enough I might be interested in this. I love driving around open world games in muscle cars (especially if I can customize them to my liking), and if it can spit fire and ram other cars into explosions, it might be fun times. The brawling looks a bit strange, it seems less elegantly animated compared to other games with similar fighting styles and even in comparison to the the other stuff in the game itself. Though coming off of Witcher 3 by the time this and MGSV rolls around, I am not even sure I'm up for more of that type of thing just yet. But I am curious about it nonetheless.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By whitegreyblack

A GB user commented some time ago that they saw a video about Mad Max's car customization and was left feeling like the dev's missed the point... now that I have seen the car customization system I am left wondering the same thing. The rest of the game seems pretty fun, but customizing your thundering post-apocalyptic ride from in that graphical interface (with locked out upgrades and such) seems to miss the point of being in the post-apocalypse and scavenging for whatever you can find or get off of other cars.

Anyone notice that when driving, the ground objects/textures seemed to pop in really badly? It's really apparent at 2:30-2:40 in the video.

edit: those nit-picks aside, I am really looking forward to playing this game at some point and it looks pretty great. Having a sidekick with you while ripping through the wastes sounds a-ok!

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Footage looks great! I'll still wait for reviews though.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mirado

@whitegreyblack: I'm worried that a lot of the car customizations seems to be straight upgrades rather than amusing, cobbled together "additions" to your vehicle. Things like the exhaust and the exploding spears seem to be linear pieces of progression and that makes me worried that the "customization" system doesn't have much flexibility.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By whitegreyblack

@mirado: Hmm. Yeah. For me, if it is the case that the car has unlockable "upgrades" it seems really weird and not great (unless they somehow find a way to explain it in the narrative or in the act of how you unlock the pieces). I'll remain optimistic!

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After Arkham Knight, I thought I'd die a happy man if I've never encountered car combat ever again.

Avalanche may have just changed my mind.

Technically speaking, it's absolutely gorgeous. The gameplay also looks super solid thus far, especially with the Arkham combat thrown in the mix. Seems like WB is hoping for a sleeper hit, since the one thing they've gotten right this year is marketing (MKX is cool too), and there's barely any for this. Hell, we've seen more of Just Cause 3, and that's ways off.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! That does look really good! The lack of game play shown until now made me have some doubts, but then again Avalanche is a great studio and has a good track record so far. Huge Just Cause and Renegade Ops fan here, along with Mad Max. I'm really excited to play this.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the Avalanche guys streaming this on Twitch, and holy shit there's going to be a lot to do in this game. Looks like they're taking enough cues from Fury Road (and the other films) to make it familiar and part of the same universe, yet not so much as to keep them from doing their own thing, which is really cool. It's looking really nice visually too, and seems like there's plenty of meaningful customisation to do on your car and on Max himself.

I'm incredibly excited for this right now. I really hope it turns out to be this year's Shadow of Mordor (and that game looked somewhat boring to me before it came out).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well given that I still don't have a working PC copy of Arkham Knight or the DLC, I figure I'll wait a good while before even considering touching this no matter how it looks.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Well given that I still don't have a working PC copy of Arkham Knight or the DLC, I figure I'll wait a good while before even considering touching this no matter how it looks.

Exactly how I feel. I would like to play this, but I don't think I'll spend full price on a WB PC port again. I'll wait for the complete edition to be $5 on Steam.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a Fury Road DLC.

I don't even know what would be on it. I just want a Fury Road DLC.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I want a Fury Road DLC.

I don't even know what would be on it. I just want a Fury Road DLC.

I think the modding community is really, really going to hit it out of the park in this regard if the game's any good. If you play on a PC, that is

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.