Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mad Max

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

An open world action game with an emphasis on vehicular combat, based on the Mad Max character from the series of Australian post-apocalyptic films by George Miller.

Mad Max:Great and Garbage at the same time?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

So I've been playing Mad Max the last few days, and I've never felt as utterly conflicted and confused as to my opinion of a game. I think this game is utter shit, but amazing at the same time. I have most everything unlocked, except for a bit of Pink Eye stuff. I just did The Big Chief Death Race, and as if there's no better example then the utter shit that boss fight is versus the fantastic cut scene that follows.This isn't a Deadly Premonition case, so bad its great. Its terrible and fantastic at the same time in all respects.

I really don't know how to describe this game. It almost feels as if half the development team gave it their all, while the other half phoned it in and didn't give a crap. But not quite. A lot of the times the combat is terrible, but sometimes its a bunch of fun. The vehicle portion is great most times, but quite terrible in any main quest related driving. Half the characters are terrible, while the other half are quite interesting. The story also goes from garbage to great when we shift between the real world to Max' inner dialog/visions/upgrade guy interactions. The world is cool, but it completely blocks you from the fantastic sand dunes surrounding the areas. I wish they would of just put a giant wasteland/salt-flats in the middle of the map in-between all the regions. Even the Art Style is fantastic at most points, but just plain generic/boring at others.

Its as if each department in the development team was schizophrenic, or just flipped a coin on every decision. I hate and like this game at the same time, I've never been so split on a single game.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't played as much as you but so far my experience has been similar if maybe a bit less in the extremes. I am curious how things will turn out later on, right now though I am sort of giving it a pass on most things that feel less than great and generic in favor of the fun I am having in the moment to moment.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I felt similarly about Assassins Creed Unity. There were sparks of brilliance here and there, but then like you said it felt like half the team just didn't even try. I guess this is the most frustrating of all possible outcomes because if it was just plain bad you wouldn't care, but it's those flashes of what could have been in between the bad game design that make you feel regret.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, I know what you mean. I like almost everything about this game except for the races, tbh, but it's too video game-y for it's own good

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By hassun

I think the game perfectly embodies the "mediocre" label. Which is fitting considering the usage of the word in Fury Road.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is just the sort of game which will probably have a really good sequel if it gets the opportunity, has the ideas and concepts but didn't quite get there.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like the kind of game I'll pay $20 for in a Steam sale

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.