Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madballs in... Babo: Invasion

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 15, 2009

An arena-based shooter featuring Madball characters like Oculus Orbus and Horn Head.

Some Thoughts on Madballs and Multiplayer

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

Edited By SuicidalSnowman

I have been playing this game pretty regularly, after picking it up on sale, lured by the claims of strong multiplayer.  I have played through the first half of the campaign (it is divided into two factions) and found it to be passable, but nothing to write home about.  The AI is pretty boring, although the variety of weapons and character classes mean you can approach it however you want.

The multiplayer is a lot better, but still hampered by some major problems.  The first is the lack of support.  It is almost impossible to find, I kid you not, more than 12 people online at any one time.  If that server is in Europe, your ping will probably be too high to play, and you are out of luck.

The co-op, which was another selling point for me, is equally disappointing.  The only mode is to play through the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN in one sitting, ALWAYS STARTING FROM THE BEGINNING.  Why? This makes no sense, since the first two or three levels hardly have enemies.  It really is no fun rolling through a level with your friends without anyone to kill.  The only level I really want co-op for is the last one, but I don't want to have to spend a few hours clearing the game to play it.

Other issues include terrible design and balance choices.  For example, the speedy characters have so little health that they take one or two hits from ANY weapon.  The heavy characters can take damage all day, but struggle to roll up even the tiniest hill.  Also, the special abilities are not balanced at all.  They range from instant one hit kill to completely worthless.

Having said all that, the game does have some major redeeming qualities.  The persistent unlocking/level up system is nicely done.  It is shared across multiplayer and single player, so really you should spend some time unlocking in single player before jumping online, or you can just jump online at any time and play around.  Also, some of the unlocks appear for using specific abilities, some for using a specific character, some just for playing the game.   This system works well, the only problem is that you do need to spend time unlocking things before having a chance at playing online.  This is a small problem, as you can unlock most of what you need in about an hour.

My only hope is that I can continue playing this online, since I am enjoying the multiplayer.  I forgot to mention that the 4 player co-op survival is really fun, at least the two games I have played.  Maybe I can convince my brother to download the 360 version, as I am almost positive it supports cross platform multiplayer.

If you play this game, let me know your Steam ID or whatever other name you are registered under, I want to play with you. 

As always, my full gaming blog is at SuicidalSnowman Gaming
    Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
    SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

I have been playing this game pretty regularly, after picking it up on sale, lured by the claims of strong multiplayer.  I have played through the first half of the campaign (it is divided into two factions) and found it to be passable, but nothing to write home about.  The AI is pretty boring, although the variety of weapons and character classes mean you can approach it however you want.

The multiplayer is a lot better, but still hampered by some major problems.  The first is the lack of support.  It is almost impossible to find, I kid you not, more than 12 people online at any one time.  If that server is in Europe, your ping will probably be too high to play, and you are out of luck.

The co-op, which was another selling point for me, is equally disappointing.  The only mode is to play through the ENTIRE CAMPAIGN in one sitting, ALWAYS STARTING FROM THE BEGINNING.  Why? This makes no sense, since the first two or three levels hardly have enemies.  It really is no fun rolling through a level with your friends without anyone to kill.  The only level I really want co-op for is the last one, but I don't want to have to spend a few hours clearing the game to play it.

Other issues include terrible design and balance choices.  For example, the speedy characters have so little health that they take one or two hits from ANY weapon.  The heavy characters can take damage all day, but struggle to roll up even the tiniest hill.  Also, the special abilities are not balanced at all.  They range from instant one hit kill to completely worthless.

Having said all that, the game does have some major redeeming qualities.  The persistent unlocking/level up system is nicely done.  It is shared across multiplayer and single player, so really you should spend some time unlocking in single player before jumping online, or you can just jump online at any time and play around.  Also, some of the unlocks appear for using specific abilities, some for using a specific character, some just for playing the game.   This system works well, the only problem is that you do need to spend time unlocking things before having a chance at playing online.  This is a small problem, as you can unlock most of what you need in about an hour.

My only hope is that I can continue playing this online, since I am enjoying the multiplayer.  I forgot to mention that the 4 player co-op survival is really fun, at least the two games I have played.  Maybe I can convince my brother to download the 360 version, as I am almost positive it supports cross platform multiplayer.

If you play this game, let me know your Steam ID or whatever other name you are registered under, I want to play with you. 

As always, my full gaming blog is at SuicidalSnowman Gaming

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.