EA fails incredibly hard with Online Franchise

#1 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

As you may or may not know, one of Madden 10's big new features this year is online franchise. To deter used game sales and maybe make a bit of extra cash, EA made it so that each new copy of the game comes with a one-use code on the manual which you enter to unlock online franchise. If you bought the game used and don't have a code, you have to purchase online franchise for ten dollars.

The problem?

EA didn't print codes for anyone outside of the U.S. and Canada

EA Sports spokesman Rob Semsey confirmed that the codes were, mistakenly, not printed on the instruction manuals for regions outside of North America. "We are investigating what regions this is affecting and will provide a solution once we have more details," he says.

So if you're outside of the US and interested in online franchise, holding off on a purchase seems wise.
#2 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

Someone really wants their free copy of Wolfenstein.

#3 Posted by Baillie (4281 posts) -

They stated that they're going to provide a solution, so yeah not really fail if they sort it.

#4 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Reminds me of NCAA 10, I went to rent it online from GameFly, and with the intentions of using TeamBuilder. Why on Earth a code is required is beyond me, and alas, I never got to use my created team. Why couldn't they do something like in FNR4 with the front and side shot pictures? Doesn't require a code, nor Xbox Live Gold, you just need to link your account up with EA Sports.

#5 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

Huh, that's odd. Usually it's the other way around.

#6 Posted by FrostTee (31 posts) -

Being in Oz and having the game,  this really blows - i don't know what too do.
Do i give them 800 points and reward their poor effort - aarrrrr

#7 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Wow, that's fucking retarded.

#8 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Offline Franchise >

#9 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@Lies:  
LIES..all LIES. 
Sorry I could not resist. 
#10 Posted by JamesF (1489 posts) -

Good thing I live in the US.

#11 Posted by Ender7884 (56 posts) -

OH....so that's the problem with online franchise?  I was thinking it was a shitty/unreliable setup or something.

Don't get me wrong...that sucks for everyone outside of the U.S. and Canada, but I'd really like to know how the Online Franchise rates for those who are playing it.

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -
@PowerSerj said:
" Someone really wants their free copy of Wolfenstein. "
Hehe.
#13 Posted by Milkman (17308 posts) -

I'm curious as to how well Madden sells outside of North America.

#14 Posted by DFSVegas (356 posts) -
@Karmum: They do it because it's an incentive to buy the game new. Like how the Flashback map Pack in Gears 2 was a code, and not on the disc.
#15 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Huhu, so console games come with CD keys too now.

#16 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
Next to zero people give a shit about Madden outside of that region anyway.
#17 Posted by The_A_Drain (3973 posts) -
@c1337us said:
"Next to zero people give a shit about Madden outside of that region anyway. "

Agreed, but, that's not really the point here. The point is that something which was supposed to be included, has been accidentally removed. They say they are working to provide a solution and hopefully they will, I don't intend to buy the game but i'm sure the one person in the whole of England who does sure wants the whole product. 

My guess is you'll be able to email your receipt, or your serial code off the disc to them and they will provide you with the code. But yeah, i'd advise people to hold off purchasing in EU if they want the code, at least until EA announce their proposed solution.
#18 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

#19 Posted by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

I honestly dont think many people buy Madden outside of North America - not saying you're not important, I'm saying that as a business EA may not act very quickly to fix this or at all.

#20 Posted by Maxszy (2067 posts) -

Kind of stupid, sure but I think your title is a bit misleading. While a mistake for sure, I don't think it is major fail.

Plus, who outside of the U.S. and Canada really wants to buy Madden? I don't think American football really has that sort of a following outside of here (U.S.). Maybe if you are an American living abroad but... *shrug*

#21 Posted by _Phara0h_ (891 posts) -
@PowerSerj said:
" Someone really wants their free copy of Wolfenstein. "
NPD sales figures are only for America I don't even think Canada is included but I could be wrong about that.....
#22 Posted by Kazona (3094 posts) -

I think an "whoopsa-dasy!" is in order here!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.