Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 11

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 10, 2010

This year's Madden is the 22nd in the annual installment and features the slogan "Simpler, Quicker, Deeper".

Censoring Song Lyrics - How Not To Do It

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Edited By asmo917

For the first time in a few years, I've actually been enjoying my time with Madden. I've probably played Madden 11 more in this first week of release than I did of Madden 09 and Madden 10 combined over their lifespan. While I liked hearing some new (or new to me) music in every year's release, I do think the use of more traditional stadium rock helps add to the atmosphere and create a more authentic experience. But then I hear   brief   gaps   of silence. I know these songs for the most part, I grew up listening to them and still keep "Machinehead" and "Welcome to the Jungle" on my iPod. The first cut I noticed was jarring, but it made sense. I understand EA and Tiburon shying away from letting Axl Rose scream "You're in the jungle baby...you're gonna DIE!" at pre-teens and even younger crowds. Then I heard Thunderstruck come on...or should I say "heard Thunderstruck start to play." When you hit a certain age, you learn words have multiple meanings, and there's a potentially sexual connotation to the word "come." It's a thinly veiled double entendre if you're of a certain age, but it IS veiled in the context of the song and AC/DC discussing a trip "through to Texas." 

If a songwriter has given himself plausible deniability, does censoring words with double meanings cause more problems? Have any parents had to explain why a song his or her kid has heard on the radio sounds different in Madden? This seems like a case of someone - EA, Tiburon, the ESRB - being hypersensitive. If you have to censor music (and I'm NOT advocating it, but I get it), use some common sense.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By asmo917

For the first time in a few years, I've actually been enjoying my time with Madden. I've probably played Madden 11 more in this first week of release than I did of Madden 09 and Madden 10 combined over their lifespan. While I liked hearing some new (or new to me) music in every year's release, I do think the use of more traditional stadium rock helps add to the atmosphere and create a more authentic experience. But then I hear   brief   gaps   of silence. I know these songs for the most part, I grew up listening to them and still keep "Machinehead" and "Welcome to the Jungle" on my iPod. The first cut I noticed was jarring, but it made sense. I understand EA and Tiburon shying away from letting Axl Rose scream "You're in the jungle baby...you're gonna DIE!" at pre-teens and even younger crowds. Then I heard Thunderstruck come on...or should I say "heard Thunderstruck start to play." When you hit a certain age, you learn words have multiple meanings, and there's a potentially sexual connotation to the word "come." It's a thinly veiled double entendre if you're of a certain age, but it IS veiled in the context of the song and AC/DC discussing a trip "through to Texas." 

If a songwriter has given himself plausible deniability, does censoring words with double meanings cause more problems? Have any parents had to explain why a song his or her kid has heard on the radio sounds different in Madden? This seems like a case of someone - EA, Tiburon, the ESRB - being hypersensitive. If you have to censor music (and I'm NOT advocating it, but I get it), use some common sense.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

I hear they're covering up suggestive lyrics with vuvuzelas in FIFA 11. Consider yourself lucky.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn
    @Dalai said:
    " I hear they're covering up suggestive lyrics with vuvuzelas in FIFA 11. Consider yourself lucky. "
    Please tell me this is true.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dalai
    asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By asmo917
    @Mikemcn: It has to be a joke. But I definitely thought about it for a few minutes.
    WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By WholeFunShow
    @Asmo917 said:
    " For the first time in a few years, I've actually been enjoying my time with Madden. I've probably played Madden 11 more in this first week of release than I did of Madden 09 and Madden 10 combined over their lifespan. While I liked hearing some new (or new to me) music in every year's release, I do think the use of more traditional stadium rock helps add to the atmosphere and create a more authentic experience. But then I hear   brief   gaps   of silence. I know these songs for the most part, I grew up listening to them and still keep "Machinehead" and "Welcome to the Jungle" on my iPod. The first cut I noticed was jarring, but it made sense. I understand EA and Tiburon shying away from letting Axl Rose scream "You're in the jungle baby...you're gonna DIE!" at pre-teens and even younger crowds. Then I heard Thunderstruck come on...or should I say "heard Thunderstruck start to play." When you hit a certain age, you learn words have multiple meanings, and there's a potentially sexual connotation to the word "come." It's a thinly veiled double entendre if you're of a certain age, but it IS veiled in the context of the song and AC/DC discussing a trip "through to Texas."   If a songwriter has given himself plausible deniability, does censoring words with double meanings cause more problems? Have any parents had to explain why a song his or her kid has heard on the radio sounds different in Madden? This seems like a case of someone - EA, Tiburon, the ESRB - being hypersensitive. If you have to censor music (and I'm NOT advocating it, but I get it), use some common sense. "
    I read on Wikipedia that they did the same to that "This Love" song that was all over everywhere a few years ago (Forget who, not Pantera unfortunately), It had the line "keep her coming every night" so some local stations cut the word and Wa Bam, a perfectly sly little word play has a massive fucking spotlight screaming UNCLEAN! UNCLEAN! at it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.