Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 11

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 10, 2010

This year's Madden is the 22nd in the annual installment and features the slogan "Simpler, Quicker, Deeper".

How to learn Football?

blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blogpostnogood

Hi guys, 

I really want to get into Madden, unfortunately im a dirty foreigner with no freaking clue about the game of American Football apart from Waterboy reruns.

Are there any websites, vids, etc explaining the rules and basic principles without going in too deep?   

Cheers in advance.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @astromanz said:

" Hi guys,  I really want to get into Madden, unfortunately im a dirty foreigner with no freaking clue about the game of American Football apart from Waterboy reruns. Are there any websites, vids, etc explaining the rules and basic principles without going in too deep?     Cheers in advance. "

Ive all ways just did the Hail Mary play. Course I think in this one you can turn off "Off sides" And that stuff. But yous should be able to goggle football rules. And the manual should help a bit. There also might be a intro aspect to the game. 
    blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blogpostnogood

Well you see I have Madden 09 at the moment, but downloaded the 11 Demo on ps3, it seems quite cool, but I still have very little clue about whats going on, especially Defense wise, I feel confused and not in control, a bit off topic here, but would you recommend I try and play through Madden 09, which I haven't really played more than 2 hours yet, or try and scheme my hands on 11?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @astromanz said:
    " Well you see I have Madden 09 at the moment, but downloaded the 11 Demo on ps3, it seems quite cool, but I still have very little clue about whats going on, especially Defense wise, I feel confused and not in control, a bit off topic here, but would you recommend I try and play through Madden 09, which I haven't really played more than 2 hours yet, or try and scheme my hands on 11? "
    You wont get better without practice. If you think youll love the game get it! And practice! You will lose online. We all do. 
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Bigrhyno
    @astromanz said:
    " Well you see I have Madden 09 at the moment, but downloaded the 11 Demo on ps3, it seems quite cool, but I still have very little clue about whats going on, especially Defense wise, I feel confused and not in control, a bit off topic here, but would you recommend I try and play through Madden 09, which I haven't really played more than 2 hours yet, or try and scheme my hands on 11? "
    According to EA, Madden 11 has been optimized so new users will have an easier time. Based on the time I spent playing it I might agree somewhat, but it's not as friendly as they make it out to be. Overall it might be a good investment if you really plan on playing a lot. I've been watching football since I was a kid so I don't really know what the best way to learn the sport would be. I would suggest watching games live. A lot of people stream sports games on Justin.tv. College football is on Saturday and professional on Sunday. There is also one professional game on Monday nights, but I don't know what time of day that would be for you.
    blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blogpostnogood
    @Bigrhyno said:
    " @astromanz said:
    According to EA, Madden 11 has been optimized so new users will have an easier time. Based on the time I spent playing it I might agree somewhat, but it's not as friendly as they make it out to be. Overall it might be a good investment if you really plan on playing a lot. I've been watching football since I was a kid so I don't really know what the best way to learn the sport would be. I would suggest watching games live. A lot of people stream sports games on Justin.tv. College football is on Saturday and professional on Sunday. There is also one professional game on Monday nights, but I don't know what time of day that would be for you. "
    Cool beans, thanks dude!  Ill give Justin.tv a shot!
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By borodin

I was in the same position as you but I recently bought madden 11 after playing the demo a bunch and I'm currently undefeated two seasons into the franchise mode (on the default difficulty, but still!). So yeah I say learn by doing - the game has a lot of neat touches that do help you out, even if it's just something small like the touchline vocal introduction to plays that explain what you're actually trying to do and why.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Spiral_Stars
    blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blogpostnogood

Awesome, think im going to subscribe to the NFL Guestpass as well, its little more than $200 per year but seems to be an awesome resource for foreign weirdos like myself! :)  

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By j_drace
    @astromanz: The most important part in learning how to play Madden is learning how to play proper defense.  This is usually where the problem comes up for most people.  Plays on offense are really easy to call, but once you're on defense people have no idea what they are doing.  Fuck that ask the coach shit, it doesn't work.  Also don't don't listen to the user above me who thinks he knows something because he is undefeated in franchise mode on pro difficulty.  That's a joke.  Madden is like a game of chess when playing competitively and it seems basic on the surface, but is very in depth.  First you want to learn the positions and general rules.  Also you need to have four go to plays on offense and four on defense that you can rely on no matter what.  Also always pick plays based on play type.  It makes it a lot more simple.

OFFENSE:  After that learn how to call plays on offense.  Calling plays on offense is pretty easy because it shows you exactly what's going on and it's just easy to understand.  Next you need to learn how to run the ball.  It doesn't matter if you want to be a gunslinger a la Brett Favre you need to know how to run the ball.  It just makes you so much more dangerous and adds more weapons to your arsenal.  A quick tip when running the ball is don't use turbo as soon as your RB receives the ball.  Wait and locate the hole that opens up and then turbo through there.  If you're running through a heavy guarded area to get those 2 yards you need for a first down then hold R1 and up on the RS.  The RB will protect the ball.  Figure out what type of offense you want to play and then choose your team.  Once you do only play with that team so that you can get the timing down and know exactly when your receivers will break out of coverage and you will also learn what type of throws your QB is capable of making. 

DEFENSE:   This is where things get a bit tricky.  Playing defense in Madden is very hard especially if you don't know the defense schemes.  You don't need to learn the defensive formations, but I would recommend you learn some of them because defensive play calling will make more sense to you.  Since at this step you should have already chosen a team you need to see what type of D they play and look at what players are their strengths on D.  Always wait for your opponent to pick their offensive play first before you pick your defensive play.  This way you see the type of formation they have which will guide you in what play to pick and they won't see your formation, most players cannot read a defensive formation when they get on the field.  Picking the plays is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.  The play is a diagram and shows you exactly where each player will go and what zone they will have covered.  If your opponent picks his play and you see that he has 1WR 2RB and whatever else then he is obviously running the ball and you should either blitz or do man coverage, depending on your players.  Blitzing is when most of your defensive players rush the QB and try to sack him.  It's similar to man coverage, but it will leave a lot of holes open.  The point of blitzing is to catch the offensive off guard and get the sack or to pressure the QB and have him fuck up.  The bad part is if you are playing an experienced player he will see the blitz and rip you apart.  You can blitz whenever you want regardless of the offensive formation, but if they have 3WR or 4WR it's a big gamble.  If you see that they have 2WR then you should either blitz, man coverage, or zone coverage.  Man coverage means that each defensive player is assigned a specific offensive player and he will only guard him.  Man coverage can be picked regardless of the defensive scheme, but you need to have really good defensive players to do it because if one of your players slips up and the opponent finds the hole you're fucked.  Cover 2 will work as well, but it will leave holes open in the middle.  The cover plays are good for defending passes that are geared more towards the sides.  When you see 3WR I would go with a Cover 2 or a Cover 3.  There are a lot of different variations of these plays so you need to see what each one does exactly.  When you see 4WR then you can go Cover 3 or a variation of Cover 4.  You need to analyze the situation if it's 2nd Quarter and 40 seconds left the will most likely be going for a hail mary in which case you need Cover 4. 

This was my best attempt at a simple explanation of how to play Madden.  I just woke up so IDK how simple it will be to read this.  Like I said before Madden seems very basic, but if you want the competitive edge it's a very in depth game like a game of chess.  You need to analyze the situation and what not to know what to do on defense and that is very important.  Google is your friend so whatever you may be unsure of just google it.  The three most user friendly teams are the Colts, Saints, and Ravens.  They are the best teams in the game so everything about them is good.  Once you actually learn how to play the game then you can find out what your favorite team is and figure out their play style.  I would help you out more if you have a 360 since I don't really play my PS3.
    blogpostnogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blogpostnogood

Holy shit dude, thank you, you need to put that article on the wiki or something, kudos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.